PDA

View Full Version : Dipsy Diver?

albravo2
01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I've always been a river fisherman, not much time in lakes or on the ocean. Planning to change that this year and will definitely be fishing for sockeye in Babine and may also venture out in the Howe Sound around Squamish.

Has anybody tried using a Dipsy Diver instead of a downrigger system? A friend fishes for salmon in one of the big lakes out east and he says the Dipsy Diver is their secret weapon.

I like the idea of simplicity. Plus, I'm looking at an inflatable so mounting a downrigger will be an issue.

Thoughts?

The Dawg
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Used them lots in the salt chuck

Make sure you have a rod holder or you will get tired quick!

albravo2
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Dog,
Suitable for sockeye? Does it really dampen the fight feeling or does it become fairly invisible after a strike?

The stuff I see on the internet shows the lure/hook attached to the diver with about 2 feet of surgical tubing. For sockeye in a lake I'm figuring I'll need a fairly long (ten foot?) leader. Would that type of setup work?

ALB
PGSS '83!

The Dawg
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh ya I'd think it would work well for them.

I never really noticed that it " dampened" the fight feeling- if the fish hits hard and you set well, the snap releases.

Id put a small dodger/ flasher between the diver and the lure. 10 feet will be plenty