PDA

View Full Version : Mountain ducks ?

new hunter
01-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Can you hunt ducks in the mountains ?
I know of a couple of mountain ponds that I could fire a gun over but theyre a bit high up .
Is it likely that ducks or geese would land in mountain ponds ?
I have seen them in town in whistler , but I wonder if they try to stay low and follow the easiest route through the valley or if they would go to the trouble of landing higher up .
I dont know of anyone that hunts ducks in this area ( I could be wrong though ) , I figure there has to be a reason .

swampthing
01-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Twanger and I used to hunt ducks like this. Sneak in and "jump shoot" as they take off. The high mountain ponds only seem to have a couple ducks on them so your daily action can be low as you can only hit a pond or 3 a day being in the mountains. Always a good way to spend a day with the dogs though.

01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
The Drakes live on the UGLIEST part of the mountain, tough country, usually by themselves until Ruttin time .

Good luck

CT

new hunter
01-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Thats all the positive feedback I need , I think I'll be buying a migratory stamp next season .
Right now I have an 870 express mag that weighs a ton , am thinking of trading up to a 20g double (lighter to carry ).
would a 20 have enough smack to drop large birds at extended ranges ( flying away if I'm jump shooting ) , or should I stick with the 12 , even though its more cumbersome .

longstonec
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Stick with your 870. 20g would work fine though

Foxton Gundogs
01-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Thats all the positive feedback I need , I think I'll be buying a migratory stamp next season .
Right now I have an 870 express mag that weighs a ton , am thinking of trading up to a 20g double (lighter to carry ).
would a 20 have enough smack to drop large birds at extended ranges ( flying away if I'm jump shooting ) , or should I stick with the 12 , even though its more cumbersome .

I sometimes shoot a wetherby SA-08 20 ga. 26" barrel with 3" #2 steel and have also used #4 Heavy Shot and #5 Tungston they all kill ducks just fine. If you are looking for a 20ga check out the SA-08 extreemly light and fast handeling cycles great from 2.5" trap to 3" Heavy Shot. It has sling posts and very reasonable I paid $499 for mine

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC03333.jpg?t=1355173917

A 20 ga Limit

new hunter
01-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I was thinking along the lines of a stoeger uplander , but as I look at the long list of things I want to buy its pretty close to the bottom .

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Stay away from Stoeger I used to be a big fan BUT although they are good guns their customer service in Canada is atrocious. The US div. is great unfortunately the do not handle Canadian problems.

Sasqman
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Back to the mountains though, I'm a lowermainlander and spend alot of time in the local hills. I've never been looking for ducks while I'm out.........so any ideas on good mountains that produce? Or elevations?

Thanks

Paul

new hunter
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
I've been poking around my local hills looking for deer sign and just trying to figure out what species lives were .
In the coarse of my searching I've found a small handful of mountain ponds and puddles , quite a few of which are un named .
As I've been looking for deer sign and hiking with the wife I've seen a few ducks and geese , as well as the ocasional grouse living in the bush between ponds , which is what got me thinking of combining hunts , stopping at ponds to jump ducks as I look for grouse and deer I can reach with a slug .
Maybe look over google earth too , and were out a few pairs boots .