PDA

View Full Version : Predator Calls

schilly101
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
what would be the best predator call for coyotes and wolves in the west kootaneys? fawn in distress? jack rabbit in distress? or somthing ellse?

604redneck
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Wolves are quite different to call in....I find it easiest while moose hunting. They love comin to the cow call

RiverOtter
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Google Primos, then Randy Anderson calls, I've got a bunch of his stuff and it works as advertised. His vids are top notch as well, and will keep you addicted in the off season...

Stone Sheep Steve
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Google Primos, then Randy Anderson calls, I've got a bunch of his stuff and it works as advertised. His vids are top notch as well, and will keep you addicted in the off season...

Anyone use the new Primos E callers?? Randy's got his name attached to them. Saw Randy on TV using them...but of course want a second opinion.
They're a little more affordable than the FoxPros....although Primos does make a more expensive call.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Electronic_Calls_s/448.htm

SSS

ruger#1
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I have had success with a doe bleat for yotes. Never tried it for wolves.

Skull Hunter
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Anyone use the new Primos E callers?? Randy's got his name attached to them. Saw Randy on TV using them...but of course want a second opinion.
They're a little more affordable than the FoxPros....although Primos does make a more expensive call.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Electronic_Calls_s/448.htm

SSS

I bought the Alpha Dogg a couple of weeks ago. I haven't really had a chance to try it out, and I don't really have any coyotes around these parts so it's a bit hard to test it. I'm very pleased with how loud it is and it's much smaller and more compact than I expected. Takes a while for the remote to synchronize with the speaker initially but that's a minor inconvenience. So far in limited use I'd recommend it, and like you said the price point is much nicer than the foxpro's.

Fella
02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Am i correct in my assumption that a distress call (such as a fawn or rabbit) that works for a coyote will also work for bears?

RiverOtter
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Am i correct in my assumption that a distress call (such as a fawn or rabbit) that works for a coyote will also work for bears?

Yep.

Definately a fawn distress. The Wayne Carlton bear call is a winner as well, I've had more than a couple adrenaline rushes with that call.....

KTownKiller
02-18-2013, 09:11 PM
I got some awesome handmade hardwood calls made by Dan Thompson. http://danthompsongamecalls.com/ I could go on and on about how great they are, but you can just check out his website and reviews. He's probably been making calls longer than anybody...I think it's good to support a guy that makes his own instead of mass producing them in China.

Bc Deer Hunter
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Had wolves respond to primos dog catcher, when out yote hunting!!! Very easy to use and can make a variety of calls.

NovemberBravo
02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
If you have a smartphone or mp3 player check out varmit als website and click on coyote hunting. There are a whole bunch of call there that you can download for free.

bowhunterbruce
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
i had a wolf come to a "lone wolf " call on a foxpro on sunday, i only wished he would have come closer as he started out about a thousand yards away and stopped at 450 yards away. just couldnt get him in any closer for a shot, meanwhile a second one stayed back at the far treeline , im sure if that one had follwed the first one they both would have come in closer.
eventuall they both went back to hunting rodents at the far end of the opening i was in. to close to nightfall to attempt a 2 km stalk to get downwind so we just watched and learned.
gonna try some new tatics next weekend