PDA

View Full Version : Yukon caribou

ratherbefishin
01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I know a lot of the caribou hunting is in Northern Quebec-but is there any decent caribou hunting in the Yukon that you can drive to,or fairly close to?
I presume Canadian residents living in BC would need to book a guided hunt-any experiance or advice would be appreciated

bruin
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
I'd guess its cheaper in Quebec without any research. There's some great cariou hunting in the Yukon though and a mature Mountain Caribou bull is an impressive animal. Mervyn's shoot some great bulls, so do some of the northern areas like Widrigs, Blackstone, Bonnet Plume etc. Take a cruise through some websites. http://www.yukonoutfitters.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=222. If you know someone you can do a hunter host permit for much cheaper and hunt the Dempster herd, which are a bit smaller animals. I'm sure there's some areas you could hike into from the roads and get into some good Mountain Caribou hunting.

Everett
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I am assuming you are after Barren Ground Caribou if your going leave BC to hunt. Lots of Mountain Caribou hunting in BC. I think quebec has two Caribou limit.

325 wsm
01-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Blackstone outfitters would be your best choice to hunt the porcupine caribou herd, expect other hunts here to be a lot more pricey (fly in). Porcupine herd has been irregular the last couple years (didn't come through the normal route). Probably a 2 or 3 year wait now as hunters who booked 3 years ago are still waiting for their chance.

BiG Boar
01-26-2013, 08:56 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2lwqcll.jpg

I am for some reason thinking that you don't understand that there is great caribou hunting here in BC. You're talking about going to the Yukon to hunt an animal we already have here. A quick look through B&C will also tell you we have some just as big, if not bigger.

ratherbefishin
01-26-2013, 09:14 AM
You're right-for some reason I was thinking barren lands caribou.I've seen caribou on the road up in northern BC on the way to moose hunting ,but I'm not familiar with seasons and open areas.I'm not a trophy hunter-just looking for a good hunt with my boys and hopefully some meat in the freezer.

monasheemountainman
01-26-2013, 09:18 AM
check the regs! no need to go that far, good luck!

sawmill
01-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Come on down here to the koots,they transplanted 25 or so,last I heard there is still 4 or 5 the wolves didn`t get.Works out to about a quarter million per `bou.

pnbrock
01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
there are good bou in bc may have to walk a bit to get a decent one though .

Brett
02-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Fly to Itcha lake (itcha mountain)with Tweedsmere air (sp)? $600 per flight, 20min, 3 guys and camp 1 flight in, 2 out with 3 caribou.... Largest heard in BC and its South of PG! Great area, great hunting

srupp
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
hmmm I sure have seen some crankers flying in the Itchas...later on after the season closes Satah mt...seen some harvested bulls suprisingly big heavy antlers..talking with some residents some of the heard swung south this year for whatever reason...biggest bull so far in bc was Andys 397 + pretty decent bull...not Itchas..fly in northern BC

cheers
Steven

Blair
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
You're right-for some reason I was thinking barren lands caribou.I've seen caribou on the road up in northern BC on the way to moose hunting ,but I'm not familiar with seasons and open areas.I'm not a trophy hunter-just looking for a good hunt with my boys and hopefully some meat in the freezer.

Make sure you shoot it early - I've heard they are inedible if rutting. I shot mine on Sept. 15 last year and it is some of the best meat I've ever eaten. Good Luck!