PDA

View Full Version : going to saskatchewan this november

mikeboehm
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
has anyone gone there for a hunt. what gear do i need to go? what clothing do u recommend. jacket pants headwear and gloves. also what boots. as of now i want to buy all new gear except for my boots(irish setter elk trackers 1000g) what are you using for for cold weather clothing. base layers ect.

im gonna make a trip to cabelas soon

Muliechaser
01-25-2013, 05:37 PM
AndJust dress warm man! Its cold the last few days of november.
I usually go.to zone 42-43 but thats near melfort and its usually -17 or more by that time on average.
Long johns and at least two more breathable layers . Again you gona be in a stand, tree/ground?
Or pushin.bush? All depends

Mc

sheep hunter
01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Last year I spent the money on a heater suit and a pair of thermo cell boot liners that I used inside of my Arctic Muck boots, it really made it comfortable if I stayed in the stand all day.

Drillbit
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
All depends how you're going to hunt.

Lots of options, depending if you're sitting still all day in the cold, walking all day in the cold, road hunting, or pushing bush.

What's your plan?

thumper1
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Be sure to follow their requirements for blaze orange, white, or scarlet clothing - hat, jacket & gloves!

Litzodd6
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
everytime i go i dress in layers ,shes cold when your walking but once you get moving i find it alright, i have the irish setters with 600 gram insulation and woolies and i had some toasty feet.and besure to bring your camera lots of deer mulies to drool over

pronghorn
01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
It's usually -10 to -20 depending on where your hunting and there is regulations on what colors you can wear, so depending if there is snow this year the snow was later in most areas. If stand hunting dress warm if walking try layers.

Rackmastr
01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Layers in the key IMO. Also depends how you plan on hunting. I wear some a Raven Wear outer jacket that keeps me VERY warm on stand. Combine that with some good Rocky overalls and a Cabelas Wooltimate pullover and lighter layers underneath and I can do about any type of hunting that SK has to offer.

I wear a good Raven Wear hat and a 'hood/facemask' thats fleece as well. Either wear my Cabelas Meindl Winter boots on just my Sorels. A pair of Schnees would be nice for most of SK type hunting.

Lots of types of hunting to do, with still hunting, stand hunting, bush pushing, sitting on bait, etc, etc...

gneigum
01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Where abouts are you planning to go? This past year had a foot of snow during hunting season & temps around -15 to -20. 2011 less than 3" of snow & average temps -5 to -10. This was in the North Battleford & SW area. Keep us posted as to where you plan on going. This winter is hard on the deer in my area. Too much snow cover & seeing a lot of deer coming into town & eating off the trees.

Drillbit
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Last year was the worst year for snow ever. It was deep for two years around 05 &06, but this year it was deep with a tough 4" crust in the middle of it and the drifts were pretty solid.

Might be a tough year/winter on the deer for sure.

Yak
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Long johns, wool and then a waterproof or windbreaker layer.

The wind can be absolutely devastating at times out there.

Heavy mitts and a heavy toque or belaclava will also be good to have

Drillbit
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
What do you wear when you hunt BC in -10 to -20?

mikeboehm
01-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Who has flown from here to hunt in saskatchewan. I hear its pretty easy to travel with ur firearm. How do u get all your gear (including clothing,boots, ammo,binos etc...) into 1 bag. Ur only allowed 2 checked baggage. Rifle case and bag unless they have room. According to west jet.

Drillbit
01-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Usually need a truck to get around when you're there?

If you have too much gear to fly, you can greyhound it to where you're going I guess. I've greyhounded hunting/shooting gear to myself on many occasions when travelling through the states to or from hunting. Probably more of a hassle then just paying extra to fly it, if you have no truck to go pickup your gear?

Sounds like you know someone that said come hunt, and you're planning early. Good for you, but if you put out more info you'll get better answers, especially regarding what type/style of hunting your plan to do, and how much area you'll be permitted to hunt on.

Sundance1972
01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Hope to head out there myself this year, and have started to "gear up" as well. Lots of light wool layers instead of one or two heavy ones would be my advice as well, makes it easier to adjust to weather conditions. If you don't want to spend a whole lot of cash, military surplus stores are a good place to get cheap wool pants. Good pair of felt pack boots with removable liners, rag wool mitts, toque. Industrial safety store for a flaggers vest/sweater etc to meet safety requirements. I always have a couple pairs of those white painters coveralls (the $6 disposables) to protect my clothing when field dressing, makes for some cheap "snow camo" too.

.300WSMImpact!
01-27-2013, 10:25 AM
My brother bought the sitka incinerator, breathable and warm, good for a hike then to sit in a tree stand. I bought an Iwom, great for a tree stand but heavy for a long walk to the stand, being warm is the key to staying out all day, as for boots I use sled boots, the other thing is dont go without the hand warmers they are a life saver!!

Muliechaser
01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
, the other thing is dont go without the hand warmers they are a life saver!!

You can say that again!

Jack Russell
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
You can say that again!

x3 Buy a box of hand warmers and a box of the foot warmers. Sitting = Freezing, which is hard to handle when you are shaking while trying to make a steady shot.

freonguy
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Greetings:

I spent my first 32 years on the planet in Saskatchewan - Shot a Mule deer in 1979 ( I think ) - second week of November - it was +14 *C that day - Have also shot WT opening day - usually the third Monday of November at that time - minus 23*C and a good stiff breeze -

What I am trying to say - BE READY FOR ANYTHING - also - good info from previous posts.

Freonguy

Rodd
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I layer up, and use down coats. I have a propane heater (toasting my frozen sandwiche on). If your sitting in a ground blind, make sure its windproof! If not it can be super cool.. I've seen it in the third week of november, where you couldn't drive anywhere because of the mud, to -30 and 40kph wind with 2 feet of snow, and just getting close to your hunting spot is tough... Be prepared for both instances. I've been stuck more in sask, than I ever have here in BC... Snow Drifts beware!! lol

craigo
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
If weight isn't an issue bring more than one pair of boots. If your not into warmers use mitts with a glove liner. Wool's my choice, work great here whether sitting or walking. Fleece is sweet as well. Make sure you can completely cover your face weather walking or sitting. Use a neck gaiter, balaclava, face mask and toque. Buy a light coat for over top, something real light, as you need to wear colors.
And most importantly with Whitetail lots and lots of patience! Good luck!