PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Garmin Montana 650?

.330 Dakota
01-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Thinking about buying the Montana 650, as my old eyes like the big screen. Just wondering if anyone has one and how they liked or disliked it. Also I have heard that the "Backroad Mapbook" download is way better than the Topo Canada,,,is this true, and should a guy have both in there? Thanks

rcar
01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Thinking about buying the Montana 650, as my old eyes like the big screen. Just wondering if anyone has one and how they liked or disliked it. Also I have heard that the "Backroad Mapbook" download is way better than the Topo Canada,,,is this true, and should a guy have both in there? Thanks

Loved your comment about the old eyes! I am also leaning towards a bigger screen.... As for the maps, I have both and MUCH prefer the Backroads version. It is easier to view and even though both are never quite up to date Backroads seem to be more detailed in the areas I hunt. Also if you load the data onto your PC for planning, Backroads is much more detailed.

.330 Dakota
01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Loved your comment about the old eyes! I am also leaning towards a bigger screen.... As for the maps, I have both and MUCH prefer the Backroads version. It is easier to view and even though both are never quite up to date Backroads seem to be more detailed in the areas I hunt. Also if you load the data onto your PC for planning, Backroads is much more detailed.

Thanks Bud

Trophyslayer
01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Have it and love it. its a bit big but you can download birds eye imagery off google earth and on the big screen it works pretty good. Only down side is in super cold weather it's hard to use with gloves. Also if you end up using AA batteries make sure you use the lithium ones last 5x longer on that unit.

Singleshotneeded
01-27-2013, 04:06 AM
If you're going to mount it on your quad's bars and ride in colder weather don't get a touch screen gps unit, they'll freeze up.
In colder weather especially load it with lithium batteries for reliable longer life. Backroads is well detailed, but I've found some
trails on Topo Canada that didn't show up on Backroads...though if you're going with one I'd go Backroads...
If you're keeping it in your coat pocket and taking it out to look at it in sub zero, then putting it back in your pocket, the
you're fine...touch screens are only an issue with the wind chill on a quad's bars in cold weather.

.330 Dakota
01-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks Guys, all great info

Vader
01-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Birdseye requires an annual subscription fee does it not? I don't own one but a fellow hunter bought one but found it frustrating that it did not work out of the box and required even more $ to keep up to date with birdseye.