PDA

View Full Version : To Bivy - Hammock or ???

shottyshooter
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have experience with the "Integral Designs Unishelter Expedition Bivy"? I was in MEC for the first time in years and I had always wanted this bivy but I wanted to size it up in real life first. I wound up buying it and I do like it with my only concern being condensation inside. It says breathable and all that - but I run hot and I'm wondering if anyone has actually used one and had any problems with it wetting out?

Beyond that I was thinking of exchanging it for a Hennessey Hammock. I think I could make it work in the places I travel but the draw back with them is the cold bottom. There are a number of insulation solutions from expensive to impractical. The hammock can be set up so that your on the ground too and you can make it work as a bivy of sorts and use trekkingpolesetc. if you're not near trees.

It would be my main shelter in all seasons including snow (I have a great tent but I am hoping to lighten the load) and I would also like to carry it in my daypack as an emergency shelter when I have no intention of staying overnight.

I've read many "thoughts" on many google searches but I was hoping someone here might have some real experience/advice from the wet coast.

Keep the bivy? get the hammock? don't be cheap and keep both? just hire a porter? LOL!

000buck
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
I love the hennessy hamock....

GoodPartner
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I recently got a hennessy hammock with the 4 seasons insulation system (+ radiant bubble pad). only chance I have had to use it so far was testing it out overnight in the backyard. it was -1 to -4 overnight, snow on the ground with a little bit of wind through most of the night. I was comfortable, no problems. Once you add the insulation system and bubble pad it gets a little bulky and more expensive but I'm really happy with it. Hard to find a patch of flat ground around here.

Rodd
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Have had my integral designs bivy for 10years and they work exellent, and do breathe very well. I combine it with a sil tarp, and stay quite warm and dry in very adverse conditions. I find if its raining the sil tarp is a must tho, as they breathe out and in.. Have had no experience with the hammock.. but like the looks of it.

shottyshooter
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the responses - I think I'll keep the bivy and since I need a siltarp anyways I'll grab the hammock with the Hex Tarp and have multiple options to integrate and play with! It'll only cost me an extra 100 over the tarp alone.

allan
01-26-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm a big guy and can't get used to hammocks, I'm looking at the big Agnes fly creek 2, which is almost the same weight but requires staking out instead if trees. You can find the tents online for less then $300 sometimes.

Clint_S
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
I tried hammocks.
My son (17) sleeps fine, I (56) feel like I've been on the rack all night and can't do it.
Also very cold without insulation.
I'm thinking that if the bivy and the full load hammock are equivalent in weight/size I would go for the bivy as you aren't limited to finding suitably spaced trees for setup.

Kudu
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I recently got a hennessy hammock with the 4 seasons insulation system (+ radiant bubble pad). only chance I have had to use it so far was testing it out overnight in the backyard. it was -1 to -4 overnight, snow on the ground with a little bit of wind through most of the night. I was comfortable, no problems. Once you add the insulation system and bubble pad it gets a little bulky and more expensive but I'm really happy with it. Hard to find a patch of flat ground around here.

Get an underquilt for yor hammock and you will sleep toasty warm in sub zero conditions.....

Potomac Under Quilt ----- http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-ass-quilts.html

Underground Zeppelin ---- http://www.undergroundquilts.com/UQ.htm

Elkhound
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
hammock.....tent.....debated all the time on HBC. I say go with both

http://www.gizmag.com/tentsile-stingray-suspended-tent/26086/

GoodPartner
02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Get an underquilt for yor hammock and you will sleep toasty warm in sub zero conditions.....

Potomac Under Quilt ----- http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-ass-quilts.html

Underground Zeppelin ---- http://www.undergroundquilts.com/UQ.htm

Thanks for the heads up.

Amphibious
02-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Small tent, Bivy, Hennesy Hammock. I have all three, and all have their place depending on my hunt/hike takes me.

shottyshooter
01-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Update.

The bivy has been great for the limited times I've been able to get out and use it. I also just ordered the Henessey hammock and I have to say - WOW! I bought direct and the customer service from them is amazing!

They are still advertising/honouring their Christmas deal of a free "cub hammock" for children 5'7" 120 lbs when you order another hammock. Then they confirmed my order instantly and it was on my doorstep in less than 36hrs! I upgraded to the "hex fly" and they left the regular fly in as we'll - 2 for 1! I didn't realize our exchange rate was so high (the website operates in USD) and when I e-mailed them asking why I was billed more than quoted (I realize now it was the proper exchange rate) they responded in about 2 minutes saying that it was the exchange but they would refund it - and literally 30 seconds later the refund confirmation was in my in- box! I thanked them and they said to just mention that I'm in Canada and they will process the order in our funds at par with the web pricing.

Amazing service! The hammock seems to be top notch quality and I can't wait to try it out!