PDA

View Full Version : Stikine River

brno375
12-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how far up river a jet boat can get after putting in at the bridge north of Iskut? Are there any tributaries that are passable? Is it as big a zoo as people say? Time of year would be August. Thanks for any info.

BCrams
12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
You can take a boat way up and into the Chukachida.

Indeed - they should install traffic lights on that river.

The Stone's sheep are under a LEH sheep draw for much of the length of the Stikine corridor.

brno375
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks BCRams, the plan is to go up in the boat, maybe up a tributary, and then hike in. We will be hunting outside SPWP.

GoatGuy
12-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Got a buddy that guided up the Chuckichida - said there's whopper bulls but the sheep were fairly spotty and you need to know exactly where to go. :lol:

brno375
12-14-2006, 04:25 PM
...you need to know exactly where to go. :lol:

There are one or two places in mind, but I have yet to talk to the biologist.

Nooker77
12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
My buddies went that way this year...had dreams of empty basins and quiet drifts down the river for moose...LMAO...they seen more jet boats the first 3 days then they did at the dealers that they bought the boat!! I can give you his number to talk to him or his email if you want...just let me know...he did a lot of research before they left....they did come home with a monster 3pt bull though...lol!

BCrams
12-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Then you throw in the tourists! Rafters and canoeist doing the float trip from inside the park !

Post pics of the scenic photos !! You can get a book that will show you every camp spot along the river, every trail, and rapids .... details the entire river from Tuaton Lake right through to the bridge on the highway.

Stikine River: A Guide to Paddling the Great River (just read the book backwards LOL)

RiverOtter
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
My buddies went that way this year...had dreams of empty basins and quiet drifts down the river for moose...LMAO...they seen more jet boats the first 3 days then they did at the dealers that they bought the boat!! I can give you his number to talk to him or his email if you want...just let me know...he did a lot of research before they left....they did come home with a monster 3pt bull though...lol!

Nooker, I think you are talking about the same guys I know. They said it was a zoo and vegatation so thick around the river, it was just like road hunting, except from a boat. Guys were ancored mid stream and trying to call bulls down off a burn above the river. Then there was the accidental discharge in the guide outfitters boat, which ended in a guy getting a medi-vac ride to the nearest hospital.

I got the impression that they weren't planning a return trip in 07. LOL.

RO

brno375
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
If the boat was pulled out up river, would it be safe left unattended?

brno375
12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
I can give you his number to talk to him or his email if you want

Thanks, PM sent.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Got a buddy that guided up the Chuckichida - said there's whopper bulls but the sheep were fairly spotty and you need to know exactly where to go. :lol:
A buddy of mine also guided for them. Only one guide ever found a band of rams and that was only once. My buddy spotted what he thought were a bunch of sheep bedded on a distant hillside but it turned out to be a pack of wolves 23 strong!!

SSS