PDA

View Full Version : New shotgun suggestions for ducks and geese

Moe.JKU
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Alright well I am looking in to getting a new shotgun a 12g preferable so my shells are interchangeable with a friend that I go with all the time. I don't mind it being pump to keep the price down. not looking at breaking the bank but looking for a reliable gun, easy to use and maintain. Any suggestions from experience both good or bad helps. $600 and lower is around the price maybe a little more if its really worth it.

Angus
01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
870 Wingmaster

limit time
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Used super nova.

itsy bitsy xj
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I bought a new Weatherby SA-08 semi auto 12g $499 from International shooting in Sry. I can not say enough good things about this gun!!! Its smooth with low recoil cycles everything. Its only 6 1/2 pounds. I've never (touch wood) had it jam on me. Wholesale sports has them for the same price but was out of stock and told me six to eight weeks to get one. I love that gun. If all my guns where stolen that would be the first one I would replace

Discoverer
01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
870 Express is very tough and reliable firearm.
It has been in the past, and it still is, one of the best buy on the gun market today for waterfowl. You can’t beat the price and they just will not quit working.

Fella
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I bought a new Weatherby SA-08 semi auto 12g $499 from International shooting in Sry. I can not say enough good things about this gun!!! Its smooth with low recoil cycles everything. Its only 6 1/2 pounds. I've never (touch wood) had it jam on me. Wholesale sports has them for the same price but was out of stock and told me six to eight weeks to get one. I love that gun. If all my guns where stolen that would be the first one I would replace

I have the PA-08 which is the pump action model. So far it's been great, although I'm not experienced enough yet to really know the difference. I've shot my buddies Super Nova and my PA-08 feels similar.

FirePower
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Pump Benelli Nova, 3 1/2" great gun, Semi Auto the Weatherby SA-08 are getting great reviews. I have friends who shootSA-08s and love them no issues only 3", but you really dont need more. Stay away from the lower end stuff 3-$400 range. 870 if you can find a good used wingmaster 3" you are golden but stay away from the 870 Express, more people swear at them than swear by them and from all I've heard Remington's customer service in Canada is in the loo, unreasinable to deal with and very long turn around times. A used Winchester Super X or Remington mod.58 would also suit your needs and price range. But most critical is shoulder as many guns as you can and find one that fits you. Good luck

Moe.JKU
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your post guys its always nice to see quick responses. I was looking at the 870's my buddies got one from the 80's and it still shots great. Whats the pros/ cons between the different models like super magnum and wingmaster. or just the size of shells?

biggyun68
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Remington 870 Wingmaster or Express - same gun different finish... less complex than any auto - However, if recoil is an issue along with price the Weatherby or Mossberg autos are good too:
I have two 870's and I can get two-three well aimed shots off as fast as my buddies 11-87

warnniklz
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
I recently got to play qith a PA-08 and they're smooth shooters...

can't really go wrong with an 870, super nnova, pa-08

ElliotMoose
01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
As mentioned above, Rem 870 is a good reliable gun with a tough durable feel to it. Alot of the guns I am seeing in stores now a days have a plastic feel to them. You shouldn't have a problem getting your hands on an 870 in the price range you mentioned

Moe.JKU
01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
What choke are you guys using. I have heard mixed inputs now, both from people on here and in person. Thanks

Discoverer
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Modified is a best all around choke for waterfowl. But don't be too concern about the choke's selection, they are cheap, try different chokes with your favorite loads to find the best pattern. Far more important than choke - the fit and the feel of your gun

BiG Boar
01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
I would think about finish, as a waterfowl gun sees a lot of time in the wet and muck. I personally wouldn't go with blued if possible. That being said 870 would be my vote. Wing master is beautiful but I'm not sure if they make a non blued gun.

Foxton Gundogs
01-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Steel hold a much tighter patern than lead all my "crew" shoot IC and we seem to kill our share. Some long bomb pass shooting may work better with mod. Pattern your gun chose the choke that gives you about a 3' patern with good coverage at 25-30yds Re gun choice the best advice I can give is shoulder as many diffrent guns as you can and pick what fits. for a pump I like the Nova/Super Nova and in your $ bracket the Weatherby SA-08 seems to be the best bang for your buck I have a Sa-08 20 ga and it functioned flawlessly all season. I hear nothing but good from others shooting them and I am thinking about 1 for a back up waterfowl gun. As previously mentioned the older 870 Wingmasters are great guns but Remington does have service issue I have a partner who sent his new 1100 back 3 times 4-5 month turnaround time each and finally sold it out of frustration. I have another partner who has an 870 Express he is anal about keeping his guns clean and after 2 shoots rust is starting thru the blueing. Remington Customer Service is stonewalling him on the issue.

itsy bitsy xj
01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
What choke are you guys using. I have heard mixed inputs now, both from people on here and in person. Thanks

The Weatherby SA-08 come with three choke :full, mod & I/C plus you can buy more if you choose. The fit of the gun is adjustable with shim plates that are all included for a low price of $499. As I sais earlier I can't say enough good things about this shotgun

Mr. Dean
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Alright well I am looking in to getting a new shotgun a 12g preferable so my shells are interchangeable with a friend that I go with all the time. I don't mind it being pump to keep the price down. not looking at breaking the bank but looking for a reliable gun, easy to use and maintain. Any suggestions from experience both good or bad helps. $600 and lower is around the price maybe a little more if its really worth it.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago and wanted a cheap pump gun.
But none on the wall fitted me W.A.S.

So I started grabbing ones that I've never handled before, inc the earlier mentioned weatherby semi but it didn't fit either and frankly, I felt it didn't compare to what I ended up with buying.

CZ, 3" 12 guage, semi-auto w/5 chokes, for ~600 bucks.

Very important to buy what fits.......

Sasqman
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I was ready to spend up to $1000 for my new shotgun this year. Had my heart set on Browning BPS. When I picked it up it didn't feel right. (: Ended up with a mossberg 500, it wasn't even on my list! So happy with it though. Fits me perfect! Also didn't break the bank at $309.00. Came with 3 chokes.

Paul

Moe.JKU
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Well thanks for all the input, looks like i'm hitting the store today to shoulder a few and see what works for me. a lot of good info to consider here though thanks so much.

Foxton Gundogs
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Just remember the ones that are "adjustable" need to be set up for you. When I first shouldered the X2 I hated it and was set on an SBE. A friend had a X2 and we played with the shims and voila perfect fit I bought the X2 and love it.

Hellfish Hunter
01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
I am not an expert but this year I have tried every type of shooting that I could find. Jump shooting improved cylinder, dekes modified, pass shooting modified, night flight full choke.

First pattern a few types of ammo, a few different sizes of shells(2 3/4"- 3") with all the chokes find the best pattern , the try all types of shooting situations and see what works best for you.

cheers Hellfish