PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunting for deer around Pemberton

delboybc
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Hi All

Last year was my first year deer hunting. A friend introduced me to it and he started hunting the year before. We are still on that sharp learning curve, but it was great fun.

We preferred to get off the road and hike in for the hunting, we were hunting around the Squamish area and the amount of hunters dropped dramatically the further we went.

The only problem is we were limited by how much distance we could cover in a day as you always went back to base camp.
I have backpacked for years and thought it would be good to combine the two.

Next year we are thinking of trying the Pemberton area and were interested in what people thought about overnight backpack hunting for black tails.

Are there any trailheads or loops of an area around pemberton that would be worth trying for a few days? Or even the Squamish area.

Thanks
Del

NovemberBravo
01-21-2013, 09:12 PM
This was my first year hunting also and me and my dad hunted the Squamish Valley a fair bit to no avail (probably hunter error lol) We did do a couple of overnight trips based out of a Yamaha Rhino but nothing really comes to my mind when you say backpacking at least in the Squamish Valley. I find that there are a lot of good deactivated logging roads that you could drive up until you hit solid bush then set up camp and hunt hard for the rest of the day. One thing I found is that there are not many open places to glass. If you are interested in any places in the Squamish Valley shoot me a PM. As I said I am new to hunting but hopefully I can be of use.

Gateholio
01-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Early season, anywhere around the Meager or Hurley or Darcy area you can grab your pack and start climbing and run into deer.

longstonec
01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
As long as you dont mind carrying a lot of weight then its not a problem. Not a lot of flat spots in Pemby to sleep.hehe

mikeman20
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
ifound hunting in squamish and pemberton to be very steep everywhere, i betthe hunting is better further away but it sure will bea hike and a half

longstonec
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Make sure you have a good pack. It's a big pain to drag something down from up high when there are trees as deadfalls and such. Easyer to carry then have it tow you down.

KTownKiller
01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
If you don't mind driving a bit further north, there is some great muley country north of Carpenter Lake. I hunted a lot there years ago, nice open alpine, trails, and big bucks! You better plan on boning them out! :mrgreen:

01-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Carpenter Lake does have great hiking areas with good deer.

Yup Marshall, Tyaughton, Relay, Yalokum, Nine Mile ..... they all hold some great deer to this day ........ get up high early !

Great Scenery too. Goats and Sheep to be seen from time to time also. LEH area's for them.

In Reality 1 big buck to pack out between 2 guys, 3 guys can do 2 biggies.

CT

Good luck

delboybc
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
This was my first year hunting also and me and my dad hunted the Squamish Valley a fair bit to no avail (probably hunter error lol) We did do a couple of overnight trips based out of a Yamaha Rhino but nothing really comes to my mind when you say backpacking at least in the Squamish Valley. I find that there are a lot of good deactivated logging roads that you could drive up until you hit solid bush then set up camp and hunt hard for the rest of the day. One thing I found is that there are not many open places to glass. If you are interested in any places in the Squamish Valley shoot me a PM. As I said I am new to hunting but hopefully I can be of use.

Hi

Yes I remember seeing you a couple of times when we were hiking in, I think you had the two dogs the first time we saw you. We did see some fresh rubs and dropping on that hillside but didn't see any deer.

delboybc
01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
I know what you mean about steep terrain, I haven't felt this fit in a long time, certainly gives you a good work out. Its just been great getting out and seeing more of the province.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look at a few maps and google earth and see what we can scout. We had planned just to get one deer between us and share the spoils.

Just wondering what the tenquille lake area is like, looks like interesting area, with a few trails to higher elevation but also seems popular with hikers and mountain bikers.

Thanks

Del

Gateholio
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Tenquille never seems to have many deer until later in the season. I've shot grouse on that trail in September, but I never seen much for deer that early

albravo2
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Hi

Yes I remember seeing you a couple of times when we were hiking in, I think you had the two dogs the first time we saw you. We did see some fresh rubs and dropping on that hillside but didn't see any deer.

Hi Del,

I was hoping you'd gotten lucky on the last day we saw you. I read on here a few days later that somebody had stumbled onto a gut pile in that area and I was hoping the rub you'd seen had paid off.

On the very last day of the season, after the snow, we found a good rub up near the top just on the right hand side of the road. We pushed on and found a bunch of fresh tracks a little further on and had a bit of excitement as we followed them. Its pretty humbling to see all the tracks and realize how many animals there are up there that we never see.

Ah well, like Nic says, if you shot something every time you went hunting they'd call it shopping, not hunting.

See you next year! I think it is a great place to hunt. You are the only people we ran into all year.

delboybc
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi Del,

I was hoping you'd gotten lucky on the last day we saw you. I read on here a few days later that somebody had stumbled onto a gut pile in that area and I was hoping the rub you'd seen had paid off.

On the very last day of the season, after the snow, we found a good rub up near the top just on the right hand side of the road. We pushed on and found a bunch of fresh tracks a little further on and had a bit of excitement as we followed them. Its pretty humbling to see all the tracks and realize how many animals there are up there that we never see.

Ah well, like Nic says, if you shot something every time you went hunting they'd call it shopping, not hunting.

See you next year! I think it is a great place to hunt. You are the only people we ran into all year.

On the last time we hunted the area we ran into a guy who had got a big buck a few weeks previous further up the ridge.

Nice to see their are deer up there.

Fingers crossed for next year, we will probably see you on the trial.

Del