PDA

View Full Version : What happened? Squamish elk blood trail mystery

albravo2
01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
On Sunday my son and I wandered up a favourite deactivated logging road in the Squamish Valley. We spent many hours on this mountain this fall learning to hunt blacktails. We didn't put anything in the freezer but we did learn a bunch and became pretty familiar with the terrain.

The trail was easy walking. There was a couple of snowmobile tracks, probably one sled that went up then came down.

Mid way up we ran into a bunch of elk sign. Tracks and scat were on top of the sled so the elk came after the sleds. Tracks were in and out of the bush, but lots of tracks along the road and the skinny alders along the road's edge had been scraped hard. The scrapes were pretty fresh and the scat was not frozen through, so I'm thinking they were there within a day of our hike.

A hundred yards further along I noticed large blood drops, about 2" diameter. The blood trail got easier to follow as we went up the road because it became more frequent and the drops became larger. A couple hundred yards further up we found a couple fair sized (6" x 8") pools of blood and a splattering of blood all around it. Up to that point it was hard to match the tracks to the blood trail because there were so many tracks but I was able to see one clear set of fist-sized tracks from a mature elk leading into the pools of blood. There were no predator tracks. I followed the tracks back up into the woods where the animal had come from and didn't see any more blood. I did see another set of tracks with blood in the tracks but I'm pretty sure that was an animal bleeding from the hoof or hock, not necessarily related to the pools of blood. We also saw numerous clumps of hair up and down the road. No hide, just hair.

By the time we unravelled the above details it was getting dark so I never had the chance to follow the blood trail away from the point I originally saw it. We couldn't smell anything that would have indicated gut pile or carcass.

I'm guessing the animal was shot at the point where we saw the pools and splatters of blood. If so, is this a CO problem? I'm pretty sure the Squamish elk herd is protected. Crime Scene Investigator Squamish Valley Edition anyone?

The Dude
01-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Call the CO.s
To my knowledge there were two LEHs handed out this year for last fall.
It might be a poacher, a pred you didn't see, who knows, but the more info the COs have, the more pieces of the puzzle they can use.

TheProvider
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Could be bulls fighting. Found areas last year at this time where they were still rubbing, making scrapes and still stinky. Smelt them before seeing tracks and rubs. Probably 20 rubs within 200yrds.

CO's will go and have a look if you contact them.

Gateholio
01-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Definitely call the COs and tell them what you saw.

scoutlt1
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Never a bad move to call the COs. Explain what you saw, and let them decide on how to proceed.
If they don't pursue so be it, but at least they have the info.
The more info they have the better.

albravo2
01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I will definitely ring the CO in the morning but the bull fighting theory makes sense. I would guess that fully 75% of the trees along the road for 500 m or more were heavily scraped and there were plenty of tufts of hair laying around. And the other blood I saw further up.

I figured the bulls would be hunkered down recovering from the effort of the rut by now but a good battle would explain some of what I saw. Except for the fact that the blood pools weren't in a heavily trampled area like you would expect from a battle ground.

Big Lew
01-21-2013, 11:02 PM
As others suggested, it could be from a fight. It also could have been from sharp broken branches. You would be surprised how many animals working through logging slashes or downed timber, especially if it is covered in snow, get ripped, slashed, or gored by wickedly hard and sharp broken limbs. When I used to ride horses through such areas, I tried to stick to good trails or skidder tracks because of the high risk of my horse ripping it's legs or stomach. You can imagine how much greater the risk if the animal is running is such conditions.