PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Kenetrek Boots?

knightcc
01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I need to invest in a good pair of late season mountain type boots. Until now, I have always used non-insulated boots with layers of socks but as I get older, my feet are starting to feel the cold. Does anyone have experience with Kenetrek Mountain Guide 400 Boots? They come with 400 grams of Thinsulate. Is that enough in your opinion? Any other recommendations would be welcome. I know boots are a personal choice but any feedback would be great!

sheephunterab
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Another boot that is very similar is the Lowa Hunter GTX. I just picked up a new pair and really like them. The Kenetreks are great boots too but they just didn't fit my feet that well.

Hunting guy
01-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I haven't tried the guide boot but the extreme 400 was a terrible waste of money for me. Also they are not very warm at all when the temp gets near freezing and they are not very waterproof, they seem to suck water in somehow, even when freshly greased. The sole will be a lot better on the guide boot at least, it is terrible on the extreme 400, slippery in the snow to the point of being dangerous. i would strongly recomend for near the same money you can get a pair of hanwag boots and after wearing both I can say that the hanwags are twice the boot of the kenetreks. The hanwag trapper is an awsome boot for late season. Call lathrop and sons to get them. I only wear my kenetreks for work boots occasionally just to justify the almost $400 spent on them. They make for ok early season elk hunting boots but not for sheep and goat.. IMO

WKCotts
01-21-2013, 07:39 PM
I love my mountain extremes 400s. Plenty of warmth for late season. Put a few hundred km on them this season. No break-in, no blisters. Good traction and everything you would expect from a $400 boot.

NovemberBravo
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I have a pair of rocky insulated Gore-Tex hiking boots that I have used on a couple of backpacking trips and in -10 to -15 weather. My feet got a little cold but with a nice fire back at camp or a nice warm sleeping bag they will be fine. I usually wear a pair of thick wool socks with them. They are cheap compared to the Kenetreks but so far I have had no complaints with them.

P.S.
I also have some down "booties" form mec that are nice and warm back at camp.

bruin
01-21-2013, 09:28 PM
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on this. The truth is that there's no one boot out there that fits every single person perfectly. That's why you've got one guy saying kennetreks are shit and another thinking they're the best thing in the world. Kennetreks, Lowa, Meindles, Hanwag, Zamberlan, are all in the same performance class. It also highly depends on how you hunt. Do you walk alot? Do you sit mostly?
I didn't find the 400 gram Kenny's warm enough for me once the snow flies unless I'm walking alot. I'd suggest you look at pack boots such as Schnees for a good all around late season hiker.