PDA

View Full Version : Kapplin River Rd...re Spring Grizz and FN

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Looking at Klappan River Rd, in 6-20 for Spring Grizzly Hunt.

1) Has anyone got any idea on the health of the Griz population there in spring? ie...odds of seeing some

2) Are there any problems with the First Nations people in that area?
I have heard stories of burnt camps and trucks etc, but cant
remember if this was the area or not.

Any advise is appreciated

KB90
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Just checking as I don't know region 6 very well, but do you mean the "klappan"?

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Just checking as I don't know region 6 very well, but do you mean the "klappan"?

Sorry KB,,yes I meant the Klappan

tinhorse
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I was there in the Fall. Road may be gone by the spring in a few sections if there is a big fast melt this year. We saw 3 grizz in 3 days in there so it seems that there is a decent amount. Always fresh tracks on the road every morning as well. We didn`t run into any FN but they do have some large camps up there that I believe the use mainly in the winteréearly spring and access by snowmobile. I think it has settled down there from what I understand.

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks tinhorse,,much appreciated

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
back up, hoping for more replies when everyone gets home from work lol

DANOSON
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
We couldn't get in for the last 2 years good luck let us know if you make it

Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Parkhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/bcparks/_shared/images/parkspg_attention_720.gif As of July 24, 2012
Access to the Klappan Rail Grade is compromised at the end of the Ealue Lake Road where the bridge crosses the Klappan River. There are additional impassable washouts on the Rail Grade itself. Vehicle access to the Eaglesnest and Didene Portage trailheads is not possible at this time and vehicle access to the McEwan Creek trailhead is questionable.

The Klappan Rail Grade is an unmaintained roadway. If a failure or washout occurs there is no guarantee that the roadway can or will be repaired. If you still wish to access the Rail Grade, please be aware of rising river levels. If water levels are rising, there is a high possibility of recent road repairs to fail.

BC Parks encourages park users to find alternate access to the park. High water also increases difficulty and hazards for creek crossings. The majority of our trails in the Stikine Area do not have bridges over creek crossings. Visitors are asked to use caution when crossing waterways.

If you have more information about current conditions or hazards within Stikine Area, please contact the Stikine Area Supervisor, Elizabeth Purkiss, at 250 771-4591. Thank you for your cooperation.

BromBones
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Hit or miss area for grizz, some years it's really good. Other times very slow.

Road is shit now. Washed out at the bridge and at a few other spots. You may be able to squeeze an ATV in but dont camp on the other side of the bridge. If you get hard rains or very warm temps in late spring (seen it close to 30 deg for a week straight) and the river comes up, you're SOL.

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks Guys

Everett
01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Was in there a couple years ago in August saw several Bears. Lots of obnoxios Indians as well.

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Was in there a couple years ago in August saw several Bears. Lots of obnoxios Indians as well.

Thanks,,,and for not beating around the bush...lol

BromBones
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM

There are a couple locals who are idiots, but pretty harmless.

For the most part though, a pretty good bunch of people and if you're up hunting bears you wont have a problem - they like seeing a few grizz get taken out.

.330 Dakota
01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
There are a couple locals who are idiots, but pretty harmless.

For the most part though, a pretty good bunch of people and if you're up hunting bears you wont have a problem - they like seeing a few grizz get taken out.

Well thats good, I was thinking of camping at the Glenmore Rec site and quading in to hunt,,sounds like we can run a truck to there on Ealue Lk rd...correct?

.330 Dakota
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
btt..............

Caribou_lou
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I have never had any troubles with the natives in the area. But I have heard stories. Like many grizzly areas timing is everything on the klappan. I also heard from a friend that he expects it to wash out in the spring. And Shell won't be back to fix it any time soon.

01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I've been back there more than a few times and have never ran into any obnoxious Indians. Stopped by their culture camp and they were friendly and helpful. If you want more up to date info on the roads closer to your hunt call the tatogga lake resort (gas station). If the road is fixed up its probably worth the call to make sure that no one is blocking the entrance to the road.

.330 Dakota
01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
I've been back there more than a few times and have never ran into any obnoxious Indians. Stopped by their culture camp and they were friendly and helpful. If you want more up to date info on the roads closer to your hunt call the tatogga lake resort (gas station). If the road is fixed up its probably worth the call to make sure that no one is blocking the entrance to the road.

Thanks Man, thats good info

Coast mountain guy
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Road was washed out as of Aug 1st. 3 spots. The one at the bridge was fixed by reg and the others are atv only. 2nd one is just passed the bridge about 300yards took the whole road. I'm sure there's trails around them all by now.