PDA

View Full Version : M goat meat

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 07:37 PM
I have done jerky - it was dry and chewy - will not do it again.

biltong - same as above

stew - fantastik! - better than bear

roast - not bad - will have to perfect the recipe/method of doing it.

stakes - tough.

stake tartar -great!

ham - 5 days in brine then cooked and smoked - not bad but compared to deer bit tough.

Ground meat - as good as any.

I am wandering if anybody got some other ideas for goats meat utilization?

gerrygoat
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Since goat meat is often tough slow cooking is great for roasts, steaks and stew, we often make sausage and ground meat out of them too. It is usually great tasting meat, except in the rut :)

warnniklz
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
how long after the rut before they're ripe for the picking again?

Gateholio
01-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Goat meat is often chewy, but very flavorful. The toughness cries for slow cooking, the strong flavor calls for bold seasonings. Chilis, curries, spicy spaghetti, tacos, stews with lots of red wine, goulash etc- You get the picture. Also, goat meat is very popular in middle eastern and Indian cooking. Check out some of their preparations, they should translate well to our mountain goat.

KTownKiller
01-19-2013, 08:06 PM
I got an 11 year old billy that had to be done in a slow cooker. Otherwise great flavor. :-D

buck nash
01-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Pressure cooking is another great way to soften it up. It does tend to go stringy though so its best to cut it cross-grain in shorter pieces.

I was at a jamaican wedding once where there cooked up a whole goat in curry. It was awesome I wish I had that recipe to share.

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I think farmed goat is totally different from M goat...my brother in law does the farmed kind all the time...it is way fattier.
And it is true... m goat meat is stringy..when dried it looks almost like it has got white fibers all over - and gets very chewy. That property makes it excelent for stews/gulash as it holds it consistency.

Pressure cooking is another great way to soften it up. It does tend to go stringy though so its best to cut it cross-grain in shorter pieces.

I was at a jamaican wedding once where there cooked up a whole goat in curry. It was awesome I wish I had that recipe to share.

gerrygoat
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
how long after the rut before they're ripe for the picking again?

Probably good by now again, definitely good by February.

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
...the strong flavour i have not experienced ..... is it maybe because the billy we consume was harvested in late summer(pre rut)?
Just today we had stew for dinner and the conversation subject was "is it goat or is it deer?" ( we eat game on daily basis -so i am very used to it(?))
I must admit that it was superior to deer in "steak tartare" category.

Goat meat is often chewy, but very flavorful. The toughness cries for slow cooking, the strong flavor calls for bold seasonings. Chilis, curries, spicy spaghetti, tacos, stews with lots of red wine, goulash etc- You get the picture. Also, goat meat is very popular in middle eastern and Indian cooking. Check out some of their preparations, they should translate well to our mountain goat.

Gateholio
01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
When I say strong, don't think that I mean offensive. :) Just got lots of flavor.

The Dude
01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
When you made the Steak tartar, did you grind up the sirloin, or used all rounds, or what?
I love tartar, made some out of Squamish Blacktail sirloin, served it on toasted French Bread rounds, and it was awesome.

moosinaround
01-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Mmmmm goat curries are awesome!!

springpin
01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Nothing beats a slow cooked Mtn Goat roast, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, and pepper! Best game meat if cooked SLOW! Mmmm. As tender as a a pulled pork. Also, smoked is excellent! Cut in small chunks.

warnniklz
01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
has anyone done BBQ pulled goat sandwiches?

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 10:15 PM
When I say strong, don't think that I mean offensive. :) Just got lots of flavor.

The most of the flavour i found in the fat (biltong pieces) - I found it very enjoyable.

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
has anyone done BBQ pulled goat sandwiches?
How would you do that?

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Nothing beats a slow cooked Mtn Goat roast, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, and pepper! Best game meat if cooked SLOW! Mmmm. As tender as a a pulled pork. Also, smoked is excellent! Cut in small chunks.
how do you smoke it?

nuadixion
01-19-2013, 10:27 PM
When you made the Steak tartar, did you grind up the sirloin, or used all rounds, or what?
I love tartar, made some out of Squamish Blacktail sirloin, served it on toasted French Bread rounds, and it was awesome.

I ground both: tenderloin and loin.
It was best of all meats because of its meaty texture.
Also did carpaccio out of tenderloin which was even better than tartare - much less effort - i eat it like a salad :)...mostly frozen tenderloin - shave thinly; lay out on a plate; in a bowl mix digone mustard with extra virgin olive oil, some sea salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar; sprinkle that on the meat and put some capers on top.....mmmmm finger liking good! Done in 5 mins!!!

RoverHound
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Curried goat cooked slow. Jamaican jerk the same way, uber slow cook.

warnniklz
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
How would you do that?

Well I've never tried goat. Well maybe when I was young and don't remember.

But what I think you could do is the following:

marinate a goat roast in the following

onion
garlic
black pepper
salt
ketchup
tomato paste
cider vinegar
war sauce
brown sugar
mustard powder
whiskey

Marinate overnight - 24 hours.

with it being tougher I'd cold smoke it. Just for added flavour. Then put it in a slow cooker drenched in BBQ sauce.

I don't know if it would work. But I'd try it unless someone knows better

decker9
01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Iv always canned my goats, then make stew, or straight out of the can with a fork, and a beer! cant beat it!

nuadixion
01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Iv always canned my goats, then make stew, or straight out of the can with a fork, and a beer! cant beat it!
what is your recipe for canning/jarring?

decker9
01-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Honestly, my mom is the canner in the family lol. Pretty sure she just browns it in a pan with salt papper, a bit of garlic and onion salt, then canned. Its a good way to make a tough goat chewable lol. Would have to say goat stew is about my fav!

nuadixion
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Honestly, my mom is the canner in the family lol. Pretty sure she just browns it in a pan with salt papper, a bit of garlic and onion salt, then canned. Its a good way to make a tough goat chewable lol. Would have to say goat stew is about my fav!
I second that ...stews are awesome.