PDA

View Full Version : Hunt alone or with a partner??

chrishall
12-13-2006, 09:02 PM
curious just how many guys go hunting alone? i prefer to hunt on my own for short day or two hunts anything longer or for bigger game i will go with hunting partners to cut down on costs or hauling game out

Gus
12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
yup. I'm the same. Been out on lots of day hunts alone, but after that its nice to have a partner around.

bsa30-06
12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I hunt alone.Nothing against partners just haven,t found the right one or the right group of guys yet.

Marc
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I seem to see more game when I'm by myself, but it's nice to have someone to shoot the shit with at night and to help with hauling game out of the woods.

youngfellla
12-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I hunt alone most of the time, except on grizz hunts - it's nice to have an extra gunner with you. Done a couple grizz hunts alone though.8)

chrishall
12-13-2006, 09:25 PM
yes the evening story telling really is one of the best parts of getting out....but hunting alone does produce more sightings

hutch
12-13-2006, 09:32 PM
usually see more when im alone but its nice to have someone to drink with at the end of the day

elkguide
12-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Hunting alone for some species is for sure more productive, but for elk , moose, grizzly goat, sheep and a few more hunting as a partnership can be both very productive and rewarding. I like to hunt elk with 3 or more guys, makes for better calling.

chrishall
12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
stories are always better when you get back from being alone

CanAm500
12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Partner....

MichelD
12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
I prefer to do the actual hunting alone, but I like to go with a guy who is also independent and we meet up at camp in the evening.

Then you can help each other out if you get something big.

mtnmax
12-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Both. Mostly with a partner though.

ape
12-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I do both solo and in a group. Seems to be less arguments when hunting solo sometimes.

Blktail
12-13-2006, 10:57 PM
I like to hunt alone, especially day hunts. I like hunting with a partner too, but only if the guy can stick to a plan. I am the guy who is always at the meeting place on time, while my partners tend to be late. Sometimes very late. It isn't considerate.

As far as big hunts, I tend to worry if someone is late getting back. One fellow I have hunted with is particularly bad about sticking with a plan or schedule. Add to that the fact he doesn't maintain his ATV well, he could be broke down or just plain broken and it would take a month to find him.

In general, I enjoy solitude, but a good partner makes a bad day hunting worth the trouble.

hunter1947
12-14-2006, 06:34 AM
I have hunted alone most of my hunting days for elk and deer ,moose. Hunting partners still have been on alot of hunts with me but i like heading out bu myself to hunt. Reason being is that there is less noise and movement also when i deside i whant to turn left or right or continue up the hill ,that will be my up to me to deside. Never once have i had a proublum with hurting my self or getting lost when hunting.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif hunter 1947.

Deaddog
12-14-2006, 06:54 AM
On day hunts around our local area I hunt on my own, occassionaly on our hunts further up north I also hunt on my own but it is rare, I enjoy the company of a good hunting partner, and while over the years some partners worked out and others didn't ,I now have a great core group of guys to hunt with. As well we do worry when a guy on his own is not back to camp on time, with a partner our worry is a lot less. Our rule is back in camp by 2200, so guys on their own that are past that have caused to much stress for us over the years, .... short story partners 95 percent of the time:lol:

CanuckShooter
12-14-2006, 07:09 AM
I do both solo and in a group. Seems to be less arguments when hunting solo sometimes.

Ape >> just not as much fun arguing with yourself ??

99 % of the time I hunt with partners in camp, while afield I am usually alone unless...there is a rookie in camp...and then it's super fun to show them the ropes..or...if you want to learn some new tricks it sometimes helps to follow one of the old pros around to see how they approach elk hunting.

Walksalot
12-14-2006, 07:44 AM
I prefer to hunt alone but I have one guy I partner up with. We both enjoy the back country and usually take a compass bearing and split up a few hundred yards apart and meet up every so often. People have asked me how the hell we meet up but once you get on to the other persons hunting speed it's fairly easy.
I have been teaching my son how to use the compass and navigate in the back country so we are close together as he is still a bit nervous navigating on his own. He usually in the lead and I am following a ways behind. Sometimes I will sneak out of sight so he get the sensation he is on his own but I am always fairly close.
Having said that, when my partner and I are hunting new country we stick closer together until we get a feel for the area.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Day trips-alone (mostly). Big trips with a partner. Even on the big trips it's better to split up for the better part of the day. You can cover/glass twice as much country.

SSS

mapguy
12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I find that when you hunt alone your much more focussed

puppychow
12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Got to share the great outdoors with a friend. I hunt with a group of the best guys ever. We often pair up and cover a larger area. We have also introduced the great outdoors to the next generation, the young bucks. Thats what hunting is all about, togetherness.

dave_fras
12-14-2006, 09:15 AM
i would say i hunt alone 90% of the time,,,, then again... i go hunting 5 days a week lol....

dawn2dusk
12-14-2006, 09:19 AM
It really depends where I am going and what I am hunting. If going far back into remote areas later in the year looking for moose I sure wouldnt do it alone. But if going for a day hunt here on the island or in southern BC in Oct for deer near a pay phone I just check-in with wife on predetermined schedule. Overall though I do have my bias/preference to hunting alone cause I find it easier to submerge myself in wilderness and I end up seeing more game.

However on one trips this year, partner was more of a hiker than a hunter. And made tonnes of racket walking and walk right past some game without seeing them. Another day after some fresh snowfall and stand hunting all morning I started getting cold and decided to see where partner went. So I followed the tracks he had made first thing inthe morning. I was amazed at how many deer came out of the OG and slash onto the trail and just high tailed the opposite direction. So next morning, Partner went on his hike, and I setup in ambush where the deers danger trails went. Sure enough not 20min went by and a doe goes bounding by me within 10 yrds and does nt even see me. :lol: Let the good time roll...adrenline started pumpin...and sure enough not 5 min behind the sweetheart two brother bucks come trottin around the corner. Bigger one in front. I lift my 308 struggle up to get a view through the scope and gosh dang it it is all fogged :-( no way i was going to try and clean the scope with the boys bearing down hard on me so made quick decision to do shotgun style and hope they come as close as doe did. Luck was with me and as he passed broadside to me about 7 yrds I let her rip. Pic below after a mild drag downhill. Note: picking up a brand new spankin leupold VX II next weekend from WHolesale sports after the above incident.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/01080005.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3778&size=big&cat=&ppuser=1261)

Later that evening, I reflected on the experiences of the last few days, while eating fresh liver/heart onions and mashed potato and of course a glass of red wine to aid digestion I was thinking i could get used to hunting with most partners. I just have to be prepared to be flexible and adaptable to the situation and each individual partner. Here is summary of the pros of each in my mind:

Pros to hunting alone:
-see more game
- less debating (strong correlation to reduced alchol consumption especially wild turkey :twisted: )
- not liable for buddy
- no compromises

Pros to havin a partner:
- drinkin buddy for around the evening campfire
- share expenses/gear/drivin/camp responsibilities
- be there to back you up when the %#^$ hits the fan
- can work as a team if your with the right people and you are adaptable, ie to get the game movin towards an ambush

tuchodi
12-14-2006, 09:20 AM
I have hunted with a great group of guy's for about 25 years now. We now spend 3 to 4 weeks together in the fall elk hunting. There are 8 of us and we usually go out in pairs as it really helps when you are calling elk.
Great campfire fun in the evening's. Later in the fall we also go our seperate ways and do some deer hunting.

johnes50
12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
If I only have a day to hunt then I usually go by myself as it's hard to find a partner on short notice. If I'm planning a few days trip then I like to have company in case things go bad.

I like hunting both ways, but if I'm hunting by myself then I definetely hunt differently then when I'm with a partner. More of a slow stalker when I'm alone. With a partner you have to compromise and adjust your hunting style to your partner.

Overall I like hunting with a partner, but I enjoy being one with nature when I hunt alone, except when I see wolf crap, cougar tracks, and bear crap all on the road that I'm walking by myself, like I did a couple of years ago, just after the guy up island got mauled by a cougar.:grin: John

Gun Dog
12-14-2006, 10:36 AM
This year i did one solo and one with the gang. Having a partner who can't sit still is a pain but having a spotter is nice too.

RiverOtter
12-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I hunt alone most of the time.
I've done the group hunt(3 or more guys) and didn't like it at all. Always seems like the more guys, the bigger the party and I ended up doing the morning hunt by myself or going late. Too me that's camping, not hunting.
I had an excellent hunting partner for almost 10 years, but wife problems and other committments changed our schedules. Haven't found a replacement yet.

Did a week long solo elk hunt this past fall and had a blast. My wife and kids came out to visit a couple times during the week and as luck would have it, they were around when I got my elk.

RO

partsman
12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
I would have no problem with hunting alone, but a partner is nice.

If I wanted to eat well, I would take Clarke, for other things a partner like Steady would be good.
She has horses, and they can be a great asset in the woods.

ape
12-14-2006, 11:20 AM
CanuckShooter it depends on what the argument is about sometimes it can be a knock down drag out brawl.
:) :) :)

Ape >> just not as much fun arguing with yourself ??

99 % of the time I hunt with partners in camp, while afield I am usually alone unless...there is a rookie in camp...and then it's super fun to show them the ropes..or...if you want to learn some new tricks it sometimes helps to follow one of the old pros around to see how they approach elk hunting.

kishman
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I hunt alone most of the time simply because nobody I know hunts, but I do like find I like hunting with others. Mostly because I'm a total newbie and it's the only way to really pick up pointers. When I shot my first Deer this past fall I was very happy to have Palmer with me. I'm sure I could've struggled through on my own, but having an experienced hand there made the whole thing enjoyable and memorable.

Nails
12-14-2006, 01:31 PM
I have the best of both worlds IMO, great hunting partners, and also enjoy heading out solo on day hunts.

highcountry88
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
There is something special about being in the bush by yourself, but I like the part of gathering in camp with a bunch of friends at the end of the day. You guys that hunt bears especially grizz definately have more guts than me.

I have hunted for the past 15 years with my four kids and they have hunted since they could drag a gun through the bush. There is nothing greater than hunting with your kids.

Given that I grew up in a non-hunting family, my neighbours dad taught me to hunt so I feel it is important for me to dedicate some of my hunting time to bringing along kids that have never hunted before. Some kids don't even have a dad in the picture, much less a chance to shoot.

I think I get as as much thrill helping a kid getting some game as I have shooting it myself. Even asking one of your kids friends along on a hunt or even out to the range or the next sportmens show is a huge deal for a kid.

While I am on this track, I am sold out on getting out hunting with your kids. Even though my kids are no angels, they were too busy saving their cash for hunting stuff and they had no time to hang out at 7-11 all night where they could get into some real problems.

Walksalot
12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
The comment about hunting alone and talking to ones self reminds me of a joke.
A person was walking up behind an elderly gentleman who was obviously having a conversation with himself and it he was being very vocal. The person walks up and asks if everything was ok and the gentleman replied that everything was fine. He explained that he enjoys a good conversation but one thing he couldn't stand was a damn liar.

GoatGuy
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Either or - sometimes a gang of us will go out but split up all day.

If there's no one to go I'll go solo. Grizz hunting isn't quite as much fun by yourself but if you don't have anyone to come with you it's gotta be done! :lol:

oldtimer
12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Mostly with a partner, mainly family , share the work and increase the odds due to more sets of eyes. Mike

Caveman
12-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Depends on the hunt. Generally I'm by myself but under certain circumstances I think it is best with a buddy. I've taken a couple trips way up north by myself and really enjoyed myself. The down side no one really knows exactly where I was. I plan to take my dad on one of these kind of hunts this year, so I won't be by myself, but we'll still do our own thing but meet up at camp each afternoon.

browningboy
12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
We have several hunting partners that are a "pack", we split up etc., but as everyone has a limited amount of time off, its nice to catch up and BS etc., hunting is part of the trip, but damn, gotta relax too.8)

livingston
12-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Ever since I started hunting my partner has always been my Dad.We usually head out to the bush together then we both go our separate ways.

That was always the way the old man liked to hunt by himself (once he new I wasn't going to get lost)he would head off his own direction and meet back at the truck at a certain time.I think I saw more animals this way, but it would have been nice to have somebody there with me to help with the tough shot calls when I was younger.

Recently I have hunted with a member of this site for spring blackies and blacktails this fall. It was nice to hunt with somebody beside you to help judge distances and animal size.

Its also quite different pesonalities as my Dad is a strict meat hunter first, trophy hunter second and the other hunting partner is more into the size of the animal and meat secondary, its a good contrast.:)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Either or - sometimes a gang of us will go out but split up all day.

If there's no one to go I'll go solo. Grizz hunting isn't quite as much fun by yourself but if you don't have anyone to come with you it's gotta be done! :lol:
You forgot to mention you most consistent and most loyal hunting companion. I think I can hear her whining right now. You can't find a better grizz hunting partner8)

SSS

5/10/85
12-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I only bow hunt, and it's hard to do that with a partner, 'cause they're usually rifle hunters first and they're a little on the loud side. Bowhunting is more effective alone, unless you're trying a deer drive. Day trips, always by myself - longer trips, always with buddies - you only hunt for part of the day anyway, and the company is what makes hunting TRIPS fun.

GoatGuy
12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
You forgot to mention you most consistent and most loyal hunting companion. I think I can hear her whining right now. You can't find a better grizz hunting partner8)

SSS

Oh year I forgot, my favorite hunting partner's my dog.

She hunts everything with me except white-tails. She's the most dependable hunting partner I've ever had; has a great nose, pretty good eyes, always ready to go whenever/wherever and she's saved my bacon more than once!:lol:

craigchaplin
12-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I mostly hunt by myself as well.....waitin fer my nephews to get a little older sos i can bring them out. Duck season i'm never alone though, always have my buddy with me........although he doesn't say much he sure fetches up those birds!

Fisher-Dude
12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh year I forgot, my favorite hunting partner's my dog.

She hunts everything with me except white-tails. She's the most dependable hunting partner I've ever had; has a great nose, pretty good eyes, always ready to go whenever/wherever and she's saved my bacon more than once!:lol:

One Shit's gonna be pissed when he reads this. You told him he was dependable, had a great nose, and pretty eyes. I better stop right there. :rolleyes:

jjensen20
12-15-2006, 06:43 PM
I hunt with a partner we always see game and its nice to have some extra motivation when your not seeing any game, been out a few times alone but never enjoy myself as much

boonerbuck
12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
I hunt alone a lot. It's hard to find people who hunt as often as I do. I do enjoy the time alone and get into the zone, no distractions.

I usually share a camp with a couple of friends once or twice a year. I also go out for a few day hunts with a local friend or two. I always put time aside to hunt with my father when he's available though.:)

Too many people on one hunt can get a little complicated. Sometimes some one's issues can lead to a conflict of plans. Best to keep things simple and hunt with people you know won't leave you disappointed.

Byson
12-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I humt with him or with out him, its nice when i kill something and hes there to help drag something out it works the other way too

TravisC
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Love to go on the trip hunt with partners nothing better then having 3 rifles lined up on a moose in its bed....Yes in its bed. then counting to 3 and having lead fly.hahaha that was awesome except my saftey was on so i had to wait to shot to see if the moose got up. he did so it was my turn hahaha 3 guys one moose 3 bullets 2 in the chest and 1 in the neck right where we were aming. meat in the truck and a great story.... LOts of fun. But once the trip is over i'm 100% alone in the bush love it like that and theres always a buddy's house close by to show off at.

30-06
12-15-2006, 09:42 PM
hunting with a partner is good because help packing stuff out,,more hunting knowledge,have company is u get lost and have to stay the night.help cleaning ur animal

flying solo isnt bad either i wouldnt think,,quieter,time to escape from everything else and think about stuff

Islandeer
12-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Solo or with my sons, or my bro or my Dad. Now that my boys are huge I like when they come and pack heavy things.8) 8)

Will
12-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Mostly Solo. Just seems I get out More that way.