PDA

View Full Version : Game Cart Design Input Wanted

Clint_S
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
The thread on game carts got me motivated to do something that was on my mind last fall.
My son and I got bikes for accessing some road closures but packing out on a bike is tough.
I decided I wanted a game carrier but one I could hitch to the back of a bike or quad when I get one.
I like the single tire design for side hilling trails but trailering is easier with 2 wheels especially behind a bike.

Just wondering what you guys think of this as a design concept.

It has one extra wheel than most 2 wheel designs but would have the advantages of both a single a dual wheeler.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/Post/GameCart.jpg

The section in blue is slip jointed and will pull out.
The table over the wheel is pinned so the pins can be removed and the section lifted off.
Lastly there are hinges near the axle of the single wheel so it can be folded over and stored or transported like this.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/Post/collapsed.jpg

Wondering if it's too ambitious to try and get it to collapse and it would just be better to have a solid unit.
My buddy is an aluminum fabricator so it would be aluminum.
No idea of final weight or dimensions as I am just brainstorming at this point.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-18-2013, 09:30 PM
looks cool, and might possible work, Im sure KTownKiller will be able to help you out though, he has built one that has brakes, a lite frame, and can be hauled behind a bike!! Give him a PM :)

boxhitch
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Looks good but not sure how you would engage the dual wheels, unless the angle can be changed to a straight line ?
I had a similar idea using a ladder for sections, no sliding parts , all hinged.

Clint_S
01-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey Boxhitch

I also looked at a ladder.
Canadian Tire sells the articulating ladders that might be the cat's ass. Only problem is my store doesn't have the 13 ft model that sells for $90 that I think would work well.
The are solid and lock well and collapse nicely (I have a 17 ft one) but they only lock at specific angles like 90 and 45 degrees. Still might be worth a second look because more than half the work is already done.

4pointer91
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks like you've been busy on SolidWorks. I like the one an two wheel idea along with the fact it collapses. Just not clear on the procedure that would be used to actually collapse the cart as you have shown?

eastkoot
01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
I wound think the larger the wheels the easier would be to manouver off road (ie: bycicle wheels with ballon tires) and on a hard surface as well.. Check out designs on sites such a Cabe**s..

Clint_S
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
The theory behind my prototype is you can use it so only the single tire is contacting the ground for side hilling on trails.
Once you hit the hard pack you could lower the end with the two wheels and just tow the load without having to control it from side to side, sort of like a small trailer.
If you are just getting to where you need to use it it would be collapsed and the end with the single wheel would be attached to the back of your motorbike/quad and it would tow easily.
I'm thinking the single wheel would be larger than the paired wheels.

I had another look at my 17' articulating ladder and realized it would work like a hot damn except it is twice as much as I need and I would hate to wreck a $270 ladder for half the parts I need.
You can cut a notch in the hinge mech. to have it lock wherever you wanted.

May look at the 13 foot ladder ($90) or just wait for the 17 footer to come on sale and make 2.

boxhitch
01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
I have an old 20' extension ladder that would get the ax , not thinking of anything new.

Lionhill
01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
I modded a trailer hitch coupler so that it connects to my Sasquatch game cart. I have a 1 7/8 ball on the quad.

Works well when loaded. When the cart is empty, it folds up and is bungied to the back of the quad.

http://images.palcdn.com/hlr-system/WebPhotos/42/420/4200/4200045.jpg

rocksteady
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Be like all the scumbags, start shopping at Midnight Construction... Sneek around all the new building sites til you can find the collapsible ladder you want... Zero dollars :)