PDA

View Full Version : Spring grizzly hunting

srupp
01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
remember those LEH entries must be in by Feb 8th.

I have had numerous calls and e-mails regarding this springs bears..I will be available for the next 2 weeks then out of contact till end of March...any questions that I can help regarding grizz, both interior and coastal leave a telephone # and I will call you.

cheers

Steven

Rackmastr
01-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Good reminder for sure!

I had mine sent in about a week or two ago now, and just dropped my wife's card in the mail last week!!! First LEH ever applied for!!!

I'm pretty sure at the very least, I'll get my 2nd choice (unless something drastic happens), and I'll be chasing grizz this spring!!

rcar
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Once again Steven....setting the gold standard for willingness to help.

warnniklz
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/2013springgrizzly_skeenasheep.pdf

updated # of authorizations allotted

srupp
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Bump...just a reminder...

I have hopefully replied to all those who sent e-mail questions , if not PM me please.

The snow levels in the Cariboo are perfect , we have enough snow to ensure slides come spring wil indeed slide ,and will push coastal bears to the valley floors .

And to those who even stopped by , it was nice to meet more hunters..and now we wait for the draw and the results..good luck to all.

I will be completely and totally unavailable from around Feb 16th till march 16th...however for those that draw tags for the g bears..do drop me a e-mail with your phone # and around the 16th I will start touching base with any that care to chat or ask questions . For those who do draw bears I will answer on first come bases...so I knowingly dont suggest the same area to more than one group at the same time .

cheers

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the bump srupp. I knew the final # of authorizations were suppposed to be up in the last week of Jan...but somehow I missed this one.

SSS

01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
When is the draw??

ace76
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
It will happen right away. People need time to plan trips, as it opens in April.

kishman
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
If I'm lucky enough to be drawn (ya, right:roll:) I'll be in touch for sure. Thanks for posting.

Elkaholic
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Good reminder for sure!

I had mine sent in about a week or two ago now, and just dropped my wife's card in the mail last week!!! First LEH ever applied for!!!

I'm pretty sure at the very least, I'll get my 2nd choice (unless something drastic happens), and I'll be chasing grizz this spring!!

Your first time with BC's awesome system? Its easy to tell your green on this system as your expecting to get a tag. I know guys that put in for 2:1 odds for 21 years and don't get drawn. Our system has no guarantees except giving the Gov your donation. Good luck to you I hope your right, but more times than not our system will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

GoatGuy
01-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Your first time with BC's awesome system? Its easy to tell your green on this system as your expecting to get a tag. I know guys that put in for 2:1 odds for 21 years and don't get drawn. Our system has no guarantees except giving the Gov your donation. Good luck to you I hope your right, but more times than not our system will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Everybody seems to know somebody like that in Cranbrook. 99 times out of 100 it's complete and total BS.

Rackmastr
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

Ya I have no qualms on the fact that some odds and draws will be VERY interesting and hard to predict. I have lived under the priority system in Alberta and both have their benefits no doubt. I have no doubt that applying for random 'odds' makes things challenging and very hard to predict. I've selected an area that around the 5:1 odds as my first choice and am just crossing fingers and hoping for that one. My second choice is an area thats quite remote and has been well under the 1:1 odds every year in recent years. This year there is also a significant tag increase and its often used as a zone that will give 'leftover' tags as well. I'd think I'm not being TOO over-zealous in my assumption that there is a high chance of probability that I will be drawn for at least my second choice. Time will tell....

Drillbit
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
From what I've seen, every new hunter number person get their first LEH. I've witnessed it for around 30 people now.

Rackmastr
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
From what I've seen, every new hunter number person get their first LEH. I've witnessed it for around 30 people now.

Heh....if that was the case I should have skipped spring grizz this year and just applied for Kamloops Lake sheep!!!

Andrewh
01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

add 3 to that...me and my buddies got our firsts too;)

Call of the Wild
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM

Last year was my first year I applied for LEH as a new resident. Didn't get a spring grizzly tag but did get a fall tag and tried for the fun if it the Kamloops ram LEH with no success. I guess I didn't quite get that luck in the draw, I really wanted the Kamloops tag. Hahahaha

bchunter181
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
I have applied every year since I started hunting(6 or 7 years) and have never got a draw :( but I still make the govt donation everyyear hoping maybe this is the year!

Drillbit
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Last year was my first year I applied for LEH as a new resident. Didn't get a spring grizzly tag but did get a fall tag and tried for the fun if it the Kamloops ram LEH with no success. I guess I didn't quite get that luck in the draw, I really wanted the Kamloops tag. Hahahaha

I tell any newbies to pick a good one for their first try, and they usually get it (moose/grizz).

I'm sure the coveted picks have other influences trumping the newbie card :)

scallywag
01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Anyone have any info about the 1-14 1-15 area I have a boat and crew that is ready to go !! I know there maybe some first nation conflict and I see the closed areas on the map. But anything I am missing

just hunt
01-31-2013, 11:03 PM

I thought the something too .had my step daughter put in 7 last year and got zero not even a cow elk here in fsj go figure

Drillbit
02-01-2013, 12:27 AM
I thought the something too .had my step daughter put in 7 last year and got zero not even a cow elk here in fsj go figure

Ha, well it didn't work for me neither, but I've seen it lots in the past 10 years.

.330 Dakota
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Interesting...I have been in BC for 7 years and have had 3 griz tags. Seen many bears,,just no shooters or the set up was wrong, so I keep trying. Being from Northern Ontario, I have to tell you that although no system is going to be perfect, this BC system is light years ahead of the Ont system...I had actually quit hunting big game there about 2 years before I moved as there just didnt seem to be a point to it anymore. Only an act of God would get you a moose tag, whitetails are open season, but where they live there is too much private property so it became a city sport, and they cancelled the spring bear season a few years before so although there was a lot of bruins around, you cant kill em in the spring...so ya some wish the BC system was better,,but I am not sure how they could improve it without a negative impact on the wildlife.
Good example is the fact that I saw more deer in the 1st 2 months of living here than I saw in my whole life in Ont.

adamgarbett
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I sent in mine and my wife's cards this morning via express post. I put in for 8-24 and 4-39 for each of us. Here's to Hoping I guess🙏

srupp
02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Not knowlegable on every area in BC for G bears..however many areas..and some really well in my oppinion there are as many grizzlies in most of these areas today as 25 years ago with the NOTEABLE exception of the Bella Coola valley system .There are many areas that see no grizzly hunting at all as those that draw dont go...and some areas seeing a shooter G bear is almost 100%...and a booner is most probable...get that G bear before they shut it down.

cheers and good luck

Steven

BCbillies
02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I've had 10 or 11 draws over the last 17 years and typically apply in zones with odds of 1.2:1 to 5:1. System seems to work fine but timing is important.

Rackmastr
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I've had 10 or 11 draws over the last 17 years and typically apply in zones with odds of 1.2:1 to 5:1. System seems to work fine but timing is important.

How many grizz have you killed in the last 17 years with those draws BCbillies? Just am curious about your success rate on those tags. Man, just the idea of having a grizz tag in my pocket gets me excited for melting snow, avalanche chutes, and green grass!

adamgarbett
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping me my wife and my new toy get to hunt some grizz this spring 😃

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/760C114E-C251-40A8-AC07-7BFD044FB2A3-1487-000001A0116D535B.jpg

BCbillies
02-01-2013, 10:54 PM
How many grizz have you killed in the last 17 years with those draws BCbillies? Just am curious about your success rate on those tags. Man, just the idea of having a grizz tag in my pocket gets me excited for melting snow, avalanche chutes, and green grass!

PM sent. More than 1 and less than 10! :)

I'm hoping me my wife and my new toy get to hunt some grizz this spring 

You've got yourself a big advantage with that unit . . . lucky you.

BiG Boar
02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
This year will be my 5th tag and my 5th season hunting grizzly. 54 days so far in the field. I've seen lots. I've seen shooters. But I just can't seem to make it happen. Hopefully this year is my year. They are out there. Apply, and find the time.

Drillbit
02-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Only LEH I've ever had in 15 years was Grizzly. Saw one, looks good hanging on the wall. Timing is definitely important. Tried two previous weekends to get into the valley I wanted to hunt. Third try was $$.

Have been with many buddies with draws, taking them into some good spots....see lots, but no luck and frustrating for sure.

When you're lucky, you're lucky. Hopefully the guys with tags can shoot some bears.

lip_ripper00
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
This year will be my 5th tag and my 5th season hunting grizzly. 54 days so far in the field. I've seen lots. I've seen shooters. But I just can't seem to make it happen. Hopefully this year is my year. They are out there. Apply, and find the time.

Good luck this year Dave.........

guywitha270
02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm a first time grizzly applicant and hopefully I'll get mine in the Adams and Seymour Arm area!!

scallywag
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Anyone have any info about 1-14a

srupp
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
hmmmm Dave the BIGGEST G bear I know of is still just 1/2 mile east of where your brother Rob got his bear...it will square close to 10' ...both last years hunters that got the tag did not even try..

cheers

Steven

srupp
02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
had coffee with some central coast residents that spend a LOT of time on the ocean..and from Owikeeno lake north to rivers in let including Kwatna and Bella coola..he feels there still is some decent bears in B

s0ylentgreen
02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
i wish the rumor was true that newbies in BC get their first LEH draw.
i sent in 6 entries and got jackkalllllll

srupp
03-09-2013, 11:29 AM
hmmmm a few more sleeps and back in Canada....hmmm maybe I got a sheep or bear LEH???

I see all my pms and will answer once home...

please include a phone number so I will call you on my dime...makes it so much easier..thanks...

cheers

Srupp

srupp
03-12-2013, 09:29 AM
will start calling tonight..congrads on the lucky leh hunters..

cheers
Steven

srupp
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
started contacting lucky LEH individuals this am....some GREAT draws in superb areas..with the snow conditions looks to be a great spring..

cheers
Steven

srupp
03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Just out of hospital, surgery and complications...yuk..anyhow all G bear hunters have now been contacted.current snow conditions for interior bear..are for normal timing..not early as was suggested...

Coastal bears..Bella coola grass needs cutting..but would still look @ normal coastal G bear hunting times..

For those who I have promised I will look into specific questions..locations I have had 5 days in hospital to do the needed inquiries..and will call in next couple days.

cheers

steven Rupp