PDA

View Full Version : Pink year

Whopperman
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
If my memory serves me right, (it usually doesn't) this is a pink year. Now I know people don't just give up their good spots, however I'm looking for a general area for some decent fishing and is safe to bring a family with 4year old daughter who loves to fish. Haven't really fished for pinks before, (got a smoker for xmas thought I'd give it a workout this fall) and the bulk of my salmon fishing has been in the Nass Valley and the chuck. Recently found a spot on the Fraser up past seabird island, however this spot is not good for a family to go to, (too steep and river is deep right off the bank).

What was the question????? Oh yea.

So any help here would be great. I know it's early but I like to plan this stuff out ahead of time and it's always nice to scout out an area with the family.

specbelly
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Up around Ft Langley and upstream a bit there are some great areas for Pinks and family freindly

Angus
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Derby Reach park near Ft. Langley or Strawberry Island across from Sumas Mountain.

Whopperman
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Thank you. Derby Reach park looks nice from the map section in google. We'll go and check it out on the next days off. I also found some nice spots last year around Chilliwack, down from the bridge (little far though for the kids and wife for just the day, which usually turns into an hour cause everyone gets cranky from the drive).

Derby Reach is nice because its really close to us, just the stupid toll bridge between us and the park. Thanks again and any other areas would be greatly appreciated.

Sasquatch
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I've done OK on pinks at Deas Slough a few times. Might not be my first choice on my own, but is pretty family friendlly.

rockdog
01-17-2013, 08:54 PM
PM sent whopperman

sparkes3
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
try around the keith wilson bridge in yarrow

cameron0518
01-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Fort langley, never an issue. Everyone has pointed u in the right direction.

Whopperman
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
These all look like great areas, thanks. I'll post pics once the season starts. The wife is already asking when the season starts for pinks and wants to head out to scout the areas ASAP. Going to check out Derby reach on Sunday with the family.

Thought I was impatient...

Thanks again.

Moe.JKU
01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't go to Keith Wilson if your bringing family. ive seen fights and its just a gong show weights flying everywhere people snagging its not a fun environment.. Hell I don't even go there myself because it gets to crazy and I don't want to deal with drama. Derby is nice because there is a grassy field if the kids get antsy of sitting at the river all day.

Whopperman
01-18-2013, 05:41 PM
That is very good advice cause I've seen the same thing on seabird island back 2 years ago with the sockeye run. I thought it was funny as hell but I was with my Dad and we just watched the stupidity we didn't even fish that section it was so crazy. Found another place a little more quiet, fishing wasn't as good but the peace and quiet was.

russm
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Ridgedale bar just east of mission is decent, or theres an alright stretch on the bedders behind the campground in yarrow, it Dosent get nearly as busy up that way as it does at kieth Wilson.

sparkes3
01-18-2013, 08:59 PM
yeah dont go right next to the keith wilson ,go down river a bit .
or just walk out on the bridge and watch the animals in the zoo

Whopperman
01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
or just walk out on the bridge and watch the animals in the zoo

See, now this is more intriguing.

Plus looking at the map (google satelite) it looks like there is a nice sandbar just around the corner and upstream from the bridge. The idea is to give the kids and wife an excellent experience so they get as excited about fishing, and hunting for that matter, as I do, hence the question of a good family spot. Mind you the wife already loves fishing.

albravo2
01-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Come on up to Squamish. PM me and I'll give you some good areas, none of them secret but not insanely overfished either. I started fly fishing the chum run this year, stood by myself more often than not and had a couple days where I saw more bears than people. I'm really looking forward to the pinks this year.

Sako 75
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Stay away from Keith Wilson road bridge pool it is not very good place to take the family there. I recommend 2 Bit-Bar and Duncan bar (parks)in Fort Langley both place have public parking and wash rooms(Port Potty). Lots room to fished and most of fisherman are willing to help you out.

Took my son there when he was around 10 year old many moons ago and he caught his first salmons (pink) there.

andrewscag
01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Richmond has some good spots too if that's closer for you. Pinks cruise pretty close to the shore along most of s river road. I had the most luck just east of #2 rd (the point just upstream of Steveston Is) . Added benefit of very fresh fish that haven't seen a lure yet. A net can help as some of the spots can be a bit tough to land fish at.

Whopperman
01-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Richmond has some good spots too if that's closer for you. Pinks cruise pretty close to the shore along most of s river road. I had the most luck just east of #2 rd (the point just upstream of Steveston Is) . Added benefit of very fresh fish that haven't seen a lure yet. A net can help as some of the spots can be a bit tough to land fish at.

Been there before we had kids and it is excellent, however not good with kids.

andrewscag
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah you definitely have to find a good spot if you have little ones. There's a nice flat spot near where I mentioned with a clearing and a picnic table. Took a buddy's son there for his first salmon and had a great time. Not derby reach for sure but still acceptable if he's close. If its the difference between getting out one day and not then its worth a try I'd say

Whopperman
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah you definitely have to find a good spot if you have little ones. There's a nice flat spot near where I mentioned with a clearing and a picnic table. Took a buddy's son there for his first salmon and had a great time. Not derby reach for sure but still acceptable if he's close. If its the difference between getting out one day and not then its worth a try I'd say

I know exactly where you mean it is quite nice.. We live in POCO now so that's a bit of a drive but not bad. The fish are much fresher there..?? (was that proper grammar it sounded weird, maybe I should have said the fish are fresher??? Or perhaps the fish are more fresh there....)..

you get what I mean.

The Dude
01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
49°20'28.09" 123°14'31.27"

A little closer to PoCo, and you can also catch Coho.

Hey, that rhymes.

Whopperman
01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
I just put that long and lat in the google maps and it showed as somewhere in northern China.

I'm thinking that was wrong and that google maps doesn't accept long and lat.

Spy
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I just put that long and lat in the google maps and it showed as somewhere in northern China.

Yup the fish market coho pinks sockeye springs all from BC.

Knute
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
I moved to Langley a couple of years ago and found Poplar Bar the most family friendly spot.

East of Ft. Langley in Glen Valley area. At the time there was a large sandy exposed bar, great for the kids on the right tide.

Sasqman
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
So the guys fishing the fraser for pinks........what is the best gear to use? Bar rigs? Bait? I've been there plenty of times at poplar, Duncan, derby.......but can't seem to get into any. Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Paul

russm
01-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Casting small spinners and spoons works best for me on the Fraser .

The Dude
01-28-2013, 04:39 AM

That's weird, cuz i got those co-ords straight from Google earth. Anyway, Lighthouse point, inside the little bay to the east on the North Shore of Van
Try to get a day when the pinks are running, be there at first light, and if it's also a flood tide, you're cookin with gas.
Bring waders and pink buzz bombs.

Sasquatch
01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Anyway, Lighthouse point, inside the little bay to the east on the North Shore of Van

You want to be careful where you fish around lighthouse point - there is an area there that is closed to all fishing.

Point Atkinson - Commencing 200 m from the southernmost tip of Point Atkinson (125 m east of the lighthouse), then extending northeasterly along the shoreline for 100 m to the entrance of Starboat Cove and extending 85 m offshore.

nano
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
For pinks I use spoons, jigs , spinners and buzz bombs. If I am float fishing I will fish pink jigs, blades.

Whopperman
01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
I've had a lot of luck on the fly, anything pink (fluorescent and shiny) and pink spinners as well. In the ocean pink buzzbombs of any size (and pink spinners again), you have to beat them off with a stick... Literally.

BTW I've fished the lighthouse, very excellent. I wouldn't mind finding this poplar bar as well if the sandy bar is still there, sounds excellent for kids.

andrewscag
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
@Whopperman - I was just referring to how close you are to the ocean in Richmond. They're right out of the salt.

Just moved to Langley last year so this has been a good thread for me too. Curious about poplar bar now.

Pink spoons or silver spinners have been the way to go for me too.

LostInSpaces
01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Stick a minus sign in front of the longitude. We are in the western hemisphere.

49°20'28.09" -123°14'31.27"

Whopperman
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
That minus in the formula did the trick..

Wife said we couldn't go to china.. ;)

M.Dean
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Well, what I found was a sure killer down there for Pinks was the Hot Pink Jig's I make with the Pink Plastic Worm's I get from Texas! I'll be the guy some where around Island 22 with a big cane in one hand and a Salmon Rod in the other! Also, if possible if your one of the 3 older guys in the old beat up jet boat, please don't pick me out of a crowd of 1000 and come flying in to shore at 20 miles a hour and expect me, the only Crippled Old Prick on the sand bar to try and grab your rope and slow your boat down!!! There was a whole bunch of Fisherman that asked me if I wanted them to rip your ass's out of the boat and hold your heads under water quite near the Jet intake while I held the throttle wide open! So, I guess in retro spec, if you want to try the best recipe for Pink Salmon around, look for a old guy being accosted by a band of way older guys that Surely Did Not pass the boaters Exam trying to pull my Body Parts out of there Prop or Jet Leg!!! Or, you could PM me if a bunch of guys want a amount worth shipping down and your good to catch your limit dam near every time you go out! I know we did!!!

lip_ripper00
01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Well, what I found was a sure killer down there for Pinks was the Hot Pink Jig's I make with the Pink Plastic Worm's I get from Texas! I'll be the guy some where around Island 22 with a big cane in one hand and a Salmon Rod in the other! Also, if possible if your one of the 3 older guys in the old beat up jet boat, please don't pick me out of a crowd of 1000 and come flying in to shore at 20 miles a hour and expect me, the only Crippled Old Prick on the sand bar to try and grab your rope and slow your boat down!!! There was a whole bunch of Fisherman that asked me if I wanted them to rip your ass's out of the boat and hold your heads under water quite near the Jet intake while I held the throttle wide open! So, I guess in retro spec, if you want to try the best recipe for Pink Salmon around, look for a old guy being accosted by a band of way older guys that Surely Did Not pass the boaters Exam trying to pull my Body Parts out of there Prop or Jet Leg!!! Or, you could PM me if a bunch of guys want a amount worth shipping down and your good to catch your limit dam near every time you go out! I know we did!!!

Jesus Dean, stay away from peg leg!!

nano
01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Much better spots to fish out there. It like kWB all the ass hats are in one group so it a shit show. Although in a situation like M. Dean"s a beating was in order for the culprits!

YAMMY-CA
02-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Please go to Pegleg-not a well known bar but lots of fish and hardly anyone around-can drive right out to the water

Jack Russell
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Please go to Pegleg-not a well known bar but lots of fish and hardly anyone around-can drive right out to the water

don't take this advice. Peg leg is a zoo, you could do better elsewhere. And don't do as YC says and drive right out to the water. He should know better:roll:

Riverbc
02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't go to Keith Wilson if your bringing family. ive seen fights and its just a gong show weights flying everywhere people snagging its not a fun environment.. Hell I don't even go there myself because it gets to crazy and I don't want to deal with drama.

Yup...gong show and zoo, that's how I'd describe that run as well.

Hellfish Hunter
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Peg leg is a zoo. Dangerous at least 1-2 people die there every year.

Try at the bottom of the vedder and sumas river, you have to walk a bit but it is fairly reasonable spot, there a few sand bars on the south west side that are great and very few people. You can catch coho, pinks, chum and springs.

The other secret killer spot is a drive, but the Indian river is loaded, you will be sick of pink fishing, even your son at 4 can cast and hook his own. We play a game of trying to cast and not hooking a fish, it is impossible.

tight lines and as the saying goes chrome go home black go back!

Sasqman
06-24-2013, 07:22 PM
I spend a lot of time crabbing up indian arm, but have never fished for salmon up there. I would really like to take the kids for some pinks this summer. Any goods spots you guys recommend? Any gear set up tips?

Thanks

Paul

Fella
06-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Jesus Dean, stay away from peg leg!!

Not just pegleg! We went with a friend on his boat to a bar where it was us and then a guide and his drunken clients. They decided it would be a good idea to launch their boat, drift over our lines and then rev the motor, sucking out gear into the intake and snapping my buddies rod.

Iron Glove
06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
We just bought our retirement house in Hope and it backs onto the Coquihalla.
I've been told that the pinks run right by us.
I've never fished for pinks but will give it a go this year as the kids bought me a Pink Salmon fishing outfit for Father's Day. That's an outfit to fish for Pinks, not a Pink coloured fishing outfit. :mrgreen:
Anyone fish for Pinks that far up the River? Are the fish still edible at that point ?

lip_ripper00
06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
We just bought our retirement house in Hope and it backs onto the Coquihalla.
I've been told that the pinks run right by us.
I've never fished for pinks but will give it a go this year as the kids bought me a Pink Salmon fishing outfit for Father's Day. That's an outfit to fish for Pinks, not a Pink coloured fishing outfit. :mrgreen:
Anyone fish for Pinks that far up the River? Are the fish still edible at that point ?

read the regs carefully, No fishing below the lower tunnel April 1 - Oct 31.

G.A.
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
mission bridge on abby side is a sandy beach and park. good pinks there, safe for kids with everything at water level

Iron Glove
06-26-2013, 08:45 AM
read the regs carefully, No fishing below the lower tunnel April 1 - Oct 31.

Yup, I hadn't checked but thanks for the heads up.
So I guess I'll be walking out the back, head down the trail to the Fraser and try my luck there.
But come Nov. 1, I'll be walking out back and trying my luck on other species, all subject to the regs of course.

dave_fras
09-05-2013, 08:23 AM
so whats the news? anyone tried for pinks yet? im heading to hope this weekend to visit some family... im thinking about sneaking out to do some fishing!. i havent checked the regs yet.. but i think i heard chinook are still open too!

Aheny
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Ive been fishing every day, quickly limit on pinks out in front of delta/richmond, and then off to troll for springs.

They are crazy out there right now, I can typically see at least a hundred jumping at any given moment in any direction

steel_ram
09-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Ive been fishing every day, quickly limit on pinks out in front of delta/richmond, and then off to troll for springs.

They are crazy out there right now, I can typically see at least a hundred jumping at any given moment in any direction

What's the limit on Springs after you've got your limit on Pinks for the day?

Aheny
09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Ive never landed that many, this weekend is going to be the first time I'm going out with more than 1 rod on the rigger, and I am just learning how to brine anchovies properly.

I spend a lot of my spring fishing time messing with gear and figuring stuff out.

dave_fras
09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
thanks for the info guys!... at least now i can fish while im there instead of bitching about missing bow season haha

Sasquatch
09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
What's the limit on Springs after you've got your limit on Pinks for the day?

You have to give people the benefit of the doubt steel - I'm sure he releases any slimy big springs he catches after he's taken a daily limit of those lovely little pinks.

YAMMY-CA
09-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Consider Pegleg bar on the Fraser-a huge bar and lots of room.

xtrail
09-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Huge Bar that is only accessed by boat.

mijinkal
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I just spent my lunch break under the mission bridge and landed 2 pinks. There's lots out there, you just have to time it right.

xtrail
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
using spoons? spinners?

russm
09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Just came back from ridgedale with 3, 2 chrome males with little to no hump and an even more chrome female, hooked quite a few more and released another beauty that was foul hooked.

mijinkal
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I've had all my luck with spoons. I've also tried a jig with a pink worm with no luck. Going back out in an hour!

mijinkal
09-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Lots of pinks in the Fraser right now. Use a heavy spoon to get em near the bottom. I've also seen success with just green wool on a hook.

Deeboe
09-20-2013, 01:34 PM
A buddy was fishing at derby reach lately and did well. Pink crocs or some pink wool. good luck

browningboy
09-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I need roe

dwflyrod
09-27-2013, 11:32 AM
i have lots pm me bb