PDA

View Full Version : Cowichan Bay hunters - time to write the Cowichan Valley Citizen

Tanya
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Well this loon-bar will be happy at the end of the week I guess. Me thinks a few - more than a few letters should go to the Citizen. This lady's eyesight has obviously diminished over the years, along with her mental capacity. Reason #5 - amazing!

http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalleycitizen/news/opinion/story.html?id=7dc876a5-94a6-40d4-9ac4-7019f54aa157

BiG Boar
01-17-2013, 07:48 AM
All you serial duck killers need to step off....they legalize abortion, and now this. Whats next, aborting baby fetus ducks? You duck hunters make me shake my head. I've got a tea party planned for January 18th with several other duck loving ladies, to celebrate the fact that your legalized murder of wild fowls is finally over.

EGLPNT
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Read it yesterday in the paper and I'm still laughing, what a wing nut!

Spy
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
5. Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!
6. Endangering the lives of those citizens who enjoy walking along the estuary or spend time in the land preserve of the big maples. Who cares? Let them stay home! Take your pets and children somewhere else! This Valley belongs to hunters!
7. Leaving garbage, shells and other hunting paraphernalia along the paths. Thank you! Who needs to pick up their trash anyway? Certainly not hunters!
Julia Star Cowichan Bay
Wow I cant beleive they even printed this letter ! Now are kids are labelled serial killers . I for one would like the news paper to have her back her statements up with proof. The editer should be fired for publishing this letter without researching it Him/herself. Wow what a load of bull.

Tanya
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Write a letter to them Spy. I agree, what absolutely poor choice of publishing.

brian
01-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Read it yesterday in the paper and I'm still laughing, what a wing nut!

This opinion piece was provided by Julia Star, spiritual councilor... enough said.

coach
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
"Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!"

This woman is clearly nuts. She should be locked up. Law abiding gun owners and hunters are not the problem - mental health issues need more attention these days.

longshot
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
What a wacko... the geeee, ducks, and swans are fewer down there for the lack of healthy grass on the dinsdale. Thousands of birds rely on that feild to feed on, then they fly over the estuary to buzz around and eat whatever else they eat. Maybe these people could learn a few things. Hunting has such a small impact on fowl populations, especially in our flyway. The bay would've had the same number of birds there even if there was no hunting season... my letter is definately going in. Hunting is my life and cowichan bay is where I was raised.

Longshot jr.

Tanya
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Here is my letter to the editor of the Cowichan Valley Citizen. If you like hunting there, get on it.

Dear Editor;

This letter is in response to the piece that appeared in your opinion column submitted by Julia Star and published in your January 16 Cowichan Valley Citizen. I am actually very surprised that any editor would publish such an outlandish piece full of misconceptions and untruths.

Ms. Star obviously does not believe in hunting and that is her prerogative. It is interesting that she chose wait to submit this piece until just prior to the end of the duck season ( January 18th). Cowichan Bay has been open to waterfowl hunting since Thanksgiving weekend, the usual opening for many, many years.
I would like to address some of her statements. 1) Yes, prime shooting time, and legal time is one half hour prior to sunrise...it closes one half hour after sunset. Many hunters work all week and the weekend is their time to hunt.

2) There are more swans in this valley and on Vancouver Island than there has been ever, just ask any farmer that has them devastating their grass fields. Drive by next week, or check out some of the scenic back roads of the Valley for swans. Also, they can be seen year round at Somenos marsh.

3) Migrating ducks do what migrating ducks do, and that is usually head out on a high pressure system just before big storm and head south. A large amount of mallards did this back in November. At the estuary you can still see mallards, widgeon, pintails, teal, bluebills, buffleheads, scoters, mergansers and more.

4) Birders still do come and see the above birds. Hunters also contribute monies to the local economy, especially those of us who live here. In addition through the purchase of licenses and the Canadian Migratory Bird permit contribute monies to waterfowl enhancement. Then of course there are all those that belong to groups such as Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited, both groups contribute millions to wetlands enhancement projects.

5) "Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!" This statement alone discredits anything the woman had to say that came anything close to reality. As a woman I like to hunt, I cook what I kill and feed my family. Nothing macho about it. I know many women who hunt that are as feminine as they come. I suppose Ms. Star does not eat. Anyone who eats contributes to the death of animals, yes even vegetarians. As for serial killer, that is possibly the most outlandish statement Ms. Star made. Hunters come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, businessmen, farmers, writers etc. It is not the kids that hunt and fish that become these raving lunatics. Kids that live in the unreal world of video games and have no contact with the realities of life and death are far more likely to commit these types of crimes.

6) Endangering lives of people walking. First rule of hunting is "know your target and what is beyond". I am not saying everyone is perfect, but I do know that Cowichan Bay is closely watched by both the RCMP and Conservation Officers and that if there were offences committed I am sure your fine paper would jump to report them.

7) Leaving garbage. Yes, it happens. Unfortunately like any other group of people the hunting community has it's polluters. I know that we always clean up, and also pick up after others, including items that have nothing to do with hunters or hunting.

Cowichan Bay is one of the very few public waterfowl hunting areas on Vancouver Island. Hopefully, the hunters of Vancouver Island that enjoy the bounty Cowichan Bay offers will get equal press.

Dano
01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Good letter Tanya!
There must have been a letter go out to all the anti's the last week or so telling them to write the local papers. We have an article in our local paper about a lady seeing a hunter shoot into a ditch at a duck. She didn't know hunting was permitted in the area and took the long way back because she was worried about her safety. She called police, they came out and everything checked out and she was informed of that. She thinks there should be signs if hunting is permitted in the area.
Let us know if they print your letter,
Dano

Spy
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Here is my letter to the editor of the Cowichan Valley Citizen. If you like hunting there, get on it.

Dear Editor;

This letter is in response to the piece that appeared in your opinion column submitted by Julia Star and published in your January 16 Cowichan Valley Citizen. I am actually very surprised that any editor would publish such an outlandish piece full of misconceptions and untruths.

Ms. Star obviously does not believe in hunting and that is her prerogative. It is interesting that she chose wait to submit this piece until just prior to the end of the duck season ( January 18th). Cowichan Bay has been open to waterfowl hunting since Thanksgiving weekend, the usual opening for many, many years.
I would like to address some of her statements. 1) Yes, prime shooting time, and legal time is one half hour prior to sunrise...it closes one half hour after sunset. Many hunters work all week and the weekend is their time to hunt.

2) There are more swans in this valley and on Vancouver Island than there has been ever, just ask any farmer that has them devastating their grass fields. Drive by next week, or check out some of the scenic back roads of the Valley for swans. Also, they can be seen year round at Somenos marsh.

3) Migrating ducks do what migrating ducks do, and that is usually head out on a high pressure system just before big storm and head south. A large amount of mallards did this back in November. At the estuary you can still see mallards, widgeon, pintails, teal, bluebills, buffleheads, scoters, mergansers and more.

4) Birders still do come and see the above birds. Hunters also contribute monies to the local economy, especially those of us who live here. In addition through the purchase of licenses and the Canadian Migratory Bird permit contribute monies to waterfowl enhancement. Then of course there are all those that belong to groups such as Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited, both groups contribute millions to wetlands enhancement projects.

5) "Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!" This statement alone discredits anything the woman had to say that came anything close to reality. As a woman I like to hunt, I cook what I kill and feed my family. Nothing macho about it. I know many women who hunt that are as feminine as they come. I suppose Ms. Star does not eat. Anyone who eats contributes to the death of animals, yes even vegetarians. As for serial killer, that is possibly the most outlandish statement Ms. Star made. Hunters come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, businessmen, farmers, writers etc. It is not the kids that hunt and fish that become these raving lunatics. Kids that live in the unreal world of video games and have no contact with the realities of life and death are far more likely to commit these types of crimes.

6) Endangering lives of people walking. First rule of hunting is "know your target and what is beyond". I am not saying everyone is perfect, but I do know that Cowichan Bay is closely watched by both the RCMP and Conservation Officers and that if there were offences committed I am sure your fine paper would jump to report them.

7) Leaving garbage. Yes, it happens. Unfortunately like any other group of people the hunting community has it's polluters. I know that we always clean up, and also pick up after others, including items that have nothing to do with hunters or hunting.

Cowichan Bay is one of the very few public waterfowl hunting areas on Vancouver Island. Hopefully, the hunters of Vancouver Island that enjoy the bounty Cowichan Bay offers will get equal press.
Ver good letter Tanya. I would write a letter but have no idea where the property in question is & would hate to be called on it & give us as hunters less credibility. I will write a piece on my kids being labelled "serial killers" ! How long have hunters been using this property to hunt & how long have the houses & people complaining been there.

Tanya
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Thank you. The place is public land and waterfowling has been going on there since forever. Houses have been there for decades as well.

Spy
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Thank you. The place is public land and waterfowling has been going on there since forever. Houses have been there for decades as well.
Are the complaints a recent phenomena or has there always been a divide.

Tanya
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
As the lady said, she writes once a year. I have never been bothered myself.

Spy
01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
The swans she is referring to, are they not Trumpeter swans or are they in fact Tundra or Whistling swans. I dont think these swans originate from Whistler !:confused:

Spy
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Here is my updated draught letter please feel free to correct any errors or set me straight.

Hunting of wildlife has been conducted in the Cowichan Bay for many years, long before Mrs Star was born. Mrs star states that it is a " questionable practice of killing wild animals for no good reason." I beg to differ, the ducks & geese that are harvested provide family's with a healthy alternative & good table fare! Hunting keeps the ever increasing bird populations in check. Increasing the yield on farmers fields providing "all" of us with more local produce.
I have never seen a "whistling"/ Tundra swan in Cowichen bay. Trumpeter swans numbers are increasing throughout Canada and are protected. They are common and can be viewed by "children" in many fields & estuaries on Vancouver Island. She also claims hunters have,"Scared away and killed most other species of migrating ducks and waterfowl." Not true, the population has been steadily growing & populations are healthy! Ask the farmers who deal with crop damage, they will tell you the last couple years have been especially bad, "because of the high numbers of waterfowl". Maybe Mrs Star should open her eyes or get a good pair of binoculars. Sounds like 30 years of viewing has taken its toll on her eyes.
Mrs Star also states a drop in tourism due to hunting. I would like to see where she get her stats from & feel she has made a lot of this up to make herself look more credible. Waterfowl hunting takes place in the winter months which are traditionally poor for tourism in the area.
I am the president of two Island grown corporations and a contributing member to society. I have two young children 4 and 8 who have through hunting & its connection to nature been taught respect and to only harvest what we need for the table. I am not a macho man by any means, but a down to earth gentleman, who enjoys the outdoors. To say that my children will turn into serial killers is laughable & unfounded. I quote "Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!" My ancestors passed down my hunting heritage to me and I'm doing the same with my children just like many Native people in the Cowichen Valley. They hunt & teach their children these very skills, that were taught to them by their forefathers. Is Mrs Starr also accusing native hunters of being & breeding serial killers? I find it very irresponsible for your news paper to even have published this letter, without doing any research of your own. I very much hope you publish my letter in response.

Kind regards
Concerned Citizen

Foxton Gundogs
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Great letter Tanya keep us informed as to the outcome hope they give you equal time BTW whats with you and John "stealing" on of my shooting partners and spoiling the heck out of him, supose now I'll have to start cooking breakfast.:mrgreen:

Tanya
01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Spy; Good letter, good angles. Fix a couple of little things: Star is with one R, you used 2 in the final sentence. Also, not sure if it is Mrs. Star. Look into whistler swan, it seems to be another name for tundra swans. Not sure about the "you'll be hearing from me". Perhaps something a little less threatening sounding?? Your option of course.

Tanya
01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Great letter Tanya keep us informed as to the outcome hope they give you equal time BTW whats with you and John "stealing" on of my shooting partners and spoiling the heck out of him, supose now I'll have to start cooking breakfast.:mrgreen:

And whom could you possibly be speaking of? :)

Spy
01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks Dano & tanya for your help & suggestions.

limit time
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Spy;1274421]Here is my updated draught letter please feel free to correct any errors or set me straight.
Hunting of wildlife has been conducted in the Cowichan Bay for many years, long before Mrs Star was born. Mrs star states that it is a " questionable practice of killing wild animals for no good reason." I beg to differ, the ducks & geese that are harvested provide family's with a healthy alternative & good table fair! Hunting keeps the ever increasing bird populations in check. Increasing the yield on farmers fields providing "all" of us with more local produce.
I have never seen a "whistling"/ Tundra swan in Cowichen bay. Trumpeter swans numbers are increasing throughout Canada and are protected. They are common and can be viewed by "children" in many fields & estuaries on Vancouver Island. She also claims hunters have,"Scared away and killed most other species of migrating ducks and water fowl." Not true the population has been steadily growing & populations are healthy! Ask the farmers who deal with crop damage, they will tell you the last couple years have been especially bad, "because of the high numbers of waterfowl". Maybe Mrs Star should open her eyes or get a good pair of binoculars. Sounds like 30 years of viewing has taken its toll on her eyes.
Mrs Star also states a drop in tourism due to hunting. I would like to see where she get her stats from & feel she has made allot of this up to make herself look more credible. Waterfowl hunting takes place in the winter months which are traditionally poor for tourism in the area.
I am The president of two Island grown corporations and a contributing member to society. I have two young children 4 and 8 who have through hunting & its connection to nature been taught respect and to only harvest what we need for the table. I am not a macho man by any means, but a down to earth gentleman, who enjoys the out doors. To say that my children will turn into serial killers is laughable & unfounded. I quote "Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!""My ancestors passed down my hunting heritage to me and I'm doing the same with my children just likeMany Native people in the Cowichen Valley. They hunt & teach their children these very skills, that were taught to them by their forefathers. Is Mrs Starr also accusing native hunters of being & breeding serial killers? I find it very irresponsible for your news paper to even have published this letter, without doing any research of your own. I very much hope you publish my letter in response.

Kind regards
Concerned Citizen

Iif that's the case, why isn't there shit loads of Native Indian serial killers??

kyleklassen
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
sent mine yesterday.pretty sure this is the same broad i had a go around with in the paper a half dozen years ago.

fowl language
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
this would be the perfect time to go to council and ask that a hunting committee be formed that deal with hunting related problems.atleast it would give you an even playing field....my thoughts....fowl

Duck Buster
01-17-2013, 10:45 PM
The only point she makes that is even a little relavent is the garbage point. 90% of us clean up our mess, but there are a few that leave emptly shells laying around. People can leave all the garbage that they want but if there is one shotgun shell in the area all that garbage, regardless of who left it, came from hunters. I have seen it down in the bay many times. We can try to negate the only valid point she makes by being the good stewards of the environment that the majority of us are and pick up after ourselves, other hunters, and normal slobs. This should put to bed this one argument.

But what do I know I am just a serial killer, raising 3 serial killer children...........

Hey Tanya, take her to the farm and show her where her "meat" comes from. I think you guys are dariy but I am sure you have bull calves that turn into yummy yummy veal as well. Great letter by the way.

Spy
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone that sent letters in hear back? I got an email asking what city I hail from.:confused::confused:

Spy
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
This might be a good time to get all us "hunters" together & have a clean up in the area. Some good PR might go a long way. Im keen anyone else interested?Would be great to meat all you duck & goose "serial Killers".:-D

Tanya
01-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Anyone that sent letters in hear back? I got an email asking what city I hail from.:confused::confused:

Nope, but then I did include my phone #. Say you are in Vic, but hunt there.

Spy
01-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Nope, but then I did include my phone #. Say you are in Vic, but hunt there.
Yup I gave my number & said I live in Victoria & said I hunt up & down the Island

Tanya
01-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Well, it appears that three of us got our letters in on time. The Citizen posted them. (http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalleycitizen/news/letters/index.html)

lorneparker1
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
NIce job folks!

Duck Buster
01-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Just read all three letters, great job guys.

Kyle, I thought your letter would be more along the lines of F##k You, you F###ing C###, rather than the well written one you provided, good for you.

kyleklassen
01-19-2013, 10:59 AM
i've learned from past mistakes...lol....i did have to shorten it by about 18 pages thou....thx to my editor.

Spy
01-19-2013, 05:57 PM
X3 Good letters. I can just picture Mrs Star fuming & frothing @ the mouth reading the letters. Im sure the paper is done with Julia's unfounded rants. Good job to all, now about that clean up im sure we could get some press to cover it.

SUAFOYT
01-19-2013, 07:21 PM
This might be a good time to get all us "hunters" together & have a clean up in the area. Some good PR might go a long way. Im keen anyone else interested?Would be great to meat all you duck & goose "serial Killers".:-D

Couldn't agree more. I'm not near the Island but that's a great idea. I read her letter and it's full of misconceptions and over the top rhetoric. Having said that, I've said it once and I'll say it again. These are the people that get the traction. As long as we vent with name calling and over the top get back at them solutions, we'll always be on the defensive. We have to take a broader view on what others think of our activities. We have to educate those that don't hunt, who are in a majority yet are not opposed to hunting. Those are the ones that we have to reach out to. Forget responding in kind to those of her ilk.

Philcott
01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Spy, I'd slide on up to help with a clean up and to meet some of our Cowichan Valley compatriots. I'm out of action from Feb 2nd to 9th but can help out other than that. We could even have a game lunch cook out to recharge our batteries.

Keep me informed.

01-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Id be into a clean up as well

Buffalo Bills
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I would be happy to join as well

madrona sh
01-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm in for a clean up.

Philcott
01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Tanya,

Looks like we have a crew ready to come up and help with a clean up. Would you like to spearhead this? Find a spot, arrange for debris disposal and such?

Just a thought.

Spy
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Sweet thanks for all the support. I think Tanya would be a good team cleanup Captain. Im in and would need directions Lol.

Ron.C
01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm in, let me know when.

longshot
01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Id definately come out and do my part! Depending on the date of course.

Spy
01-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Ok what date day would suite all of you? I cant do this weekend or next but I can make the following lets say Saturday the 8 Feb. I hope this will give enough guys & girls enough time to make plans to make it. Whos in?

coach
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Kudos to all of you! Nice work with the letters and organizing a cleanup is a great next step. Involve the media and show the non-hunters sitting on the fence what a great bunch of people and true conservationists that the majority of hunters are. You will gain a great deal of public support.

Philcott
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
The 8th is a no go for me. Sadly I'll still be in Mexico. The following Saturday, Feb. 15th would work though.

There really should be someone from the Valley spearheading the clean up. They would know who to contact for a bin and disposal of the debris and such as well as who to contact in the media.

Might be nice to invite the letter writer along to help and to find out that hunters care for the environment enough to do a clean up. Not that she'd join us future mass killers and all.

coach
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
In Kelowna last spring, it was a lady in our regional district office who connected me with a couple of media members. She also spoke with BFI which resulted in having a bin dropped off at the cleanup site, providd garbage bags and gloves and took care of tipping fees at the dump. Hopefully you have someone like her in your area who can save you a lot of phone calls.

Moe.JKU
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Great letter in response to this. Some very good points put in there, I guess its wrong to live of the land, but stacking cows and pigs into a barn and feeding them steroids is ok for the health of our youth and other generations to come. Also the people that hunt really do respect the power of a gun and what it can do when used wrong, because they have seen it. I myself have always respected the power of my rifles, and shotguns, like you said its the people that shoot other people on video games all day, that don't realize that actual power a gun can have.

Spy
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I can do the 15 of Feb lets provisionally book this day for the clean up. Maybe a new thread would garner some support. I hear you about someone from the Valley spear heading this,that would be great. Anyone from the valley want to run with this?

OOBuck
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Here's a picture of the Spiritual Counsellor... What a shitiot!

http://longboatcounselling.com/?page_id=16

Buffalo Bills
01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I bet she has hairy armpits along with other things :???:

Here's a picture of the Spiritual Counsellor... What a shitiot!

http://longboatcounselling.com/?page_id=16

Ron.C
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I can do the 15 of Feb lets provisionally book this day for the clean up. Maybe a new thread would garner some support. I hear you about someone from the Valley spear heading this,that would be great. Anyone from the valley want to run with this?

15th is good for me. I live 5 minute from the bay. But to be honest, I've never hunted it and don't know how best to tackle the actual cleanup. I'd be happy to help co-organize it if someone that hunts it and is more familiar with the "problem areas" wants to join me.

Buffalo Bills
01-25-2013, 03:27 PM
15th works for me also....

kyleklassen
01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
hunting season goes til mar 10 in the bay.

Ron.C
01-25-2013, 11:38 PM
hunting season goes til mar 10 in the bay.

Good point Kyle,

maybe we should wait till the goose season ends. Would be a bit counter productive if this ended up screwing up someones hunt

longshot
01-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Beat me too it kyle. I'd honestly give people a little more time and set something up after march 10. More time to organize, more time for others to work it into their schedule, meaning more people out there to help. Thats just me tho :)

Spy
01-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Im in you guys seem to be on top of it. Let us know when & where.

Duck Buster
01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
I will come and help too, but not untill after the goose season is over..... My weekends will be spent killin honkers untill the 10th of March.

field marshal
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Pretty cocky boast Duck Buster????-----Cheers----Field Marshal.

Philcott
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe we can all meet up in the same field one Saturday morning before the close of the season and we can have 21 guns blasting away at first light. After we wake up the neighbourhood we can do the clean up.We'll get noticed for sure that way. Kidding of course.

Whenever the valley boys think is the best date I'll do my best to join the trek up from Victoria to help out.