PDA

View Full Version : Wood stove info/help

mikeboehm
01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
This last hunting season i had some problems with my wood stove. It started to back puff out the front of my stove. The tear before i had no problems. It got so bad that my wall tent looked like i hot boxed it. Any ideas what caused this and how to stop it from doing this again.

boxhitch
01-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Maybe need another piece of chimney to get up above the ridge line.
Wind can create a high pressure area close to walls and roof. ???????????

bighornbob
01-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Maybe need another piece of chimney to get up above the ridge line.
Wind can create a high pressure area close to walls and roof. ???????????

That would be my guess too. I took a Burn it Smart seminar, (for wood stoves in a house) and that is one thing the instructer pounded home. The top of the chimney on a house, or in this case a tent, has to be higher then the highest part of the roof. If its lower it could burn fine for years then you get the right condidtions with the wind and you smoke out your house or tent.

BHB

mikeboehm
01-17-2013, 09:48 AM
My stack sits 6" higher than the roof

Trophyslayer
01-17-2013, 09:52 AM
My guess would be the stove pipe needs to be higher or if you have a wall stove pipe hole your Angels are to restricting use 45 degree elbows. Another possibility could be the moisture content in the wood with not enough draft

mikeboehm
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a huge buildup of creosote in my stove(gazed) that might be it. Whats the best way to remove it

ryanb
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
You might be able to burn the creosote out if you get the fire real hot. Don't do this with the stove in the tent. Depending on your stove, there is a chance you might damage it with excessive heat.

The backdraft could be caused by the creosote build up, but it would have to be pretty clogged. More likely you had poor draft going and some wind started a backdraft. Once it's back drafting, it's sometimes hard to reverse. Best way to reverse the backdraft is shut down all dampers/vents/doors on the stove forcing the hot gasses to go up the flue in the proper direction. The hotter your fire, and a clean straight flue, the better your draft and less chance of this happening. Sheltering your stove pipe from wind helps too.

albravo2
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Did you make any changes to the wood you're burning? I find a huge difference between fir that has been seasoning for a while and the hemlock that has only been seasoning for a couple months. Way more creosote and smoke.

ruger#1
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Those pine beetle trees make a lot of creosote also. Has to be burned real hot.

Boner
01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
If your stovepipe is clean, no problems with the stove and you're at your wits end, like other people say, it might be your wood. Your stove pipe should be heated up, that'll make the smoke draw up the chimney. Normally that's done with a paper and kindling fire, but I have in the past used a propane blowtorch to heat up the pipe to help out. I've only done this when the smoke won't vent out the pipe. Not an ideal solution but it worked for me.

M.Dean
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I burn the odd stick of wood each year, and the main problem I've had over the years is firewood that's not completely dry. I've found that if you've got a ripp'in hot fire going, every things heating up just fine, then I throw in a few round Fir or Birch logs that are far from dry, and then all hell brakes loose! I've had a wood stove just a huff'n and a puff'in! And the second you open the door just a crack all the gases ignites and scares the shit right out of you! That maybe one problem to consider. And, as far as cleaning a real dirty metal chimney what I've done is take all the pipe connected outside to the fire pit, place it up against the rocks with the right angle as low as you can get, and the long end up in the air, I stuff the bottom of the chimney with news paper then light it, make sure there's no tree's or dry branches around and let it rip, after it cools down I pick it up with thick leather gloves and place one end into the fire pit and gently tap it with a small stick. The pipe will be as clean as the day you bought it! And, with a wall tent try to get as much pipe up in the air as you can, I think you'll get a way better draft that way, Good Luck.

Kiese18
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
starting a fire with a few good chunks of cardboard can get the draft moving ing the right direction to. also, seasoned wood burns hotter and longer with less creosote buildup. cutting the wood in the spring to use in the fall is not long enough to season the wood. seasoning the wood for at least a full year works best for me. good luck.

mikeboehm
01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
i did use a few of those firelogs last year. i think it was those. they say they are good and have low creosote but i think they are bad for the build up.

tomahawk
01-25-2013, 09:19 PM
i've had the same issue and it is a draft problem your having.Do you have a vent on the top of your stove near the chimney? If you do it needs to be partly open to create a draft within the chimney or you'll get the back draft you experienced.

rocksteady
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Creosote build up to me indicates you are dampening down the stove too much... Open it up and let it roar. Or your wood has too much in it. What species? Dry pine, fir or larch is best. Yellow pine is terrible...

ydouask
01-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Along the same lines as Tomahawk's thinking... any chance your chimney damper is stuck closed or partially closed? It could even be that the damper handle moves, but the damper deosen't... check it out.