PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Tracks - Cat Hunt

KB90
01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
So lately I've got nothing but cougar hunting on my mind.

And it got me thinking about an offer from a fellow awhile back that if I could find a track that he would come run it for me. I never bothered going out, because to be honest I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Not having dogs and not knowing anyone who does has brought me back to this offer, as it's all i can think about lately.

But my lack of knowledge on the subject has me wondering if I would just be wasting my time, I don't think i've even seen a cougar track.

- I don't know what size track makes a cat big or small, male or female.
- Unless it's day old snow, how to tell how old it is
- If I found a track, is it suitable country to run the dogs
- If i find a track later in the day, can you come back and run it the next day?

-So to the experienced houndsmen, would I be wasting my time, is it something that should be done with some who has experience? I currently live in Dawson but would be going back to Quesnel. I've got a pretty flexible schedule so would try and time it with some snowfall.

- Would you guys mind sharing some tips/photos/advice on the topic of locating and identifying tracks?

Lastly I'll throw my name out there like a million other guys on here do, that I would love to go on a cat hunt if anyone is interested in taking a guy, I have no problem travelling anywhere in the province. I've read the many threads on here about compensation/illegal guiding, sharing costs fuel lunch etc. and it is not my intention to break the law so no need to discuss that here.

Thanks, Kyle.

Nait Hadya
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
So lately I've got nothing but cougar hunting on my mind.

And it got me thinking about an offer from a fellow awhile back that if I could find a track that he would come run it for me. I never bothered going out, because to be honest I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Not having dogs and not knowing anyone who does has brought me back to this offer, as it's all i can think about lately.

But my lack of knowledge on the subject has me wondering if I would just be wasting my time, I don't think i've even seen a cougar track!

does it really matter? why are you being selective? trophy hunter looking for a quick kill?
usually the hound will let you know how old it is,frost in the track,iced,melted or just plane looks old.
- If I found a track, is it suitable country to run the dogs
i have never found any unsuitable country, yet.
- If i find a track later in the day, can you come back and run it the next day?
If you want a real challenge wait a few more days and then run it,if you can,depends on the dogs.

I would say you need to demonstrate some interest and committment to the task,put on some miles and spend time in cat country doing some learning....on your own. from my perspective,why would i take a fellow to a treed cat to shoot it out without having done anything other than drive there and walk to a tree, make an effort.

srupp
01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Nait...several of my best friends live in Red Deer also...I imagine along the river where the deer concentrate is pretty decent cougar hunting? would a full sized 180# tom go after a adult moose?
while hunting out there havnt seen a cat track but tons of cat food in whities and mulies..

if I lived in Alberta it would be Red Deer...

cheers

Mr. Dean
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Cat tracks aren't all that hard to ID once you know what you're looking for.
Best thing to do IMO is to get this book;

Petersons Field Guide - Animal Tracks.
It covers scats also.

Nice book to have with you when out-n-about. :wink:

KB90
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
I would say you need to demonstrate some interest and committment to the task,put on some miles and spend time in cat country doing some learning....on your own. from my perspective,why would i take a fellow to a treed cat to shoot it out without having done anything other than drive there and walk to a tree, make an effort.

Thanks Nait, that's why I had asked the questions, I would love to go out and locate some tracks. But i'd like to know what I'm looking for and educate myself a little. I found this thread and got some good info and pics, as well as some debate on species http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?90528-What-tracks-are-these&highlight=tracks

I have gone out and called in a lynx with a rabbit distress call, and have heard it may work with cougars, but I think the chance of it actually working is next to nothing. I have never seen a thread posted or heard first hand from someone that they have called in a lion with a distress call.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/149689_460077417087_7568149_n.jpg

"does it really matter? why are you being selective? trophy hunter looking for a quick kill?"

As i understand most hounds men don't shoot females or small cats, and I have no interest in it either. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy chasing and treeing them, as a matter of fact I'd love too. Would I love to kill a cat yes, but I'd have no problem just getting to tag along on a few hunts and see what it's about, but the offer i received is not like that. All I was implying is that if he is willing to come out and spend his time and money I would like to ensure that I find a track worth pursuing as I think that is what he was implying also. It would ultimately be his decision whether he would come out and run it and i'm not sure if he would for a small or female cat, I guess it's something I should ask.

"Ifyou want a real challenge wait a few more days and then run it,if you can,depends on the dogs."

Thanks good to know if I locate an older track it still may be a possibility.

usually the hound will let you know how old it is,

Unfortunately i don't have that option, until he gets out there, but now that I know the track could be older and still runnable it could still be worth pursuing.

Rackmastr
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Good thread....I'd love to hear some more on the subject.

Never have ran cats, but sure would love to sometime. There are some really experienced guys here, and it would be interesting to hear what they look for when they head out, how they decide to run a track, etc

The Dawg
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
If anyone is eager to learn on Hbc, it's definitely Kyle

I think him asking the questions on his original post show his willingness to do so, so I don't see a need to cut him down for doing so.

Hes taking the initiative to learn before he goes out.

If I had dogs, Id definitely allow him to come along!

Mr. Dean
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I have gone out and called in a lynx with a rabbit distress call, and have heard it may work with cougars, but I think the chance of it actually working is next to nothing.

It has been done!
Our Great Super Mod, Gatehouse, called one in a couple years back.

And I believe he also killed it. :wink:

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Dont get your own Dogs . unless your a big dog lover and have lots of time and money to deal with them ..Also . i would go track down your local C.O. . Have a chat with him concering what is considered legal cat hunting going alone with a Dog owner or a Guide Outfitter..

KB90
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
i would go track down your local C.O. . Have a chat with him concering what is considered legal cat hunting going alone with a Dog owner or a Guide Outfitter..

I've read the many threads on here about compensation/illegal guiding, sharing costs fuel lunch etc. and it is not my intention to break the law so no need to discuss that here.

Like I said, no need to discuss this. I know what's within the law.

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
any guesses on this cat?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317496_10150371839515069_69513441_n.jpg

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
this is a bobcat

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/149286_464282990068_3499602_n.jpg

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
any guesses on this cat?

Guess what? species? size?

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Guess what? species? size?

yes the species

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
snowed in Cougar track,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/47661_474799485068_3286409_n.jpg

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Cougar

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217690_5624600068_8191_n.jpg

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Looks like a lynx to me, not because I can actually see the pads, but because of the amount of fur.

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you mind me asking how you are able to confirm its a cougar track since its snowed in? experience? picked up the track later?

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
small bobcat

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1106_42954925068_8591_n.jpg

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Do you mind me asking how you are able to confirm its a cougar track since its snowed in? experience? picked up the track later?

pattern the cats walking, roundness of the track...and i like to follow the cat under trees where the snow will be less and maybe blow out the track to see the sex of the track

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks, thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Pictures are awesome as well!

BCHunterTV
01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
one way i tell its a Tom is by the shape of the toes and or the width of the plantar pad

Rodd
01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I always avoided running an older track, as you dont know if the animal is travelling or just hanging in the area.. Not worth chasing the dogs for days on an old track. Cougar tracks are way larger than a lynx or bobcat, especially the males. The Male Lion will be up to 60% larger than a female the same age. You can determine sex, by measuring the track as well, but after a while you know if its the one or not. I never chased cats, that I didn't want to shoot. As far as finding tracks go, its not tough, but fresh ones are.. Snow is your best friend. They can be predator called and tracked by humans. If you want one, find a fresh track and get on it yourself.. You never know till you try.

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks Rodd, if I find a track fresh enough I might give the calling a go.

on my next days off (snow forcast depending) I plan on heading back to Quesnel, hit some logging roads through the fir stands along the fraser.

In response to Naits comments, the stuff you just said about not running old tracks and only tracks of cats you plan on killing is why I was asking the kind of information I was, as if I am going to call this guy I want to have a track he will run.

KB90
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
How about this track?

Being on top of the snow leads me to believe its a bobber or lynx. (at about 40 second mark he puts his hand down for size reference) but it looks fairly big?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtC3sTIXQLM

BiG Boar
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I was under the impression that lynx tracks were actually bigger than cougars. At least that is what I have been reading in books. In our core manual too. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions though.

Also Kyle, it is possible to walk a cougar down. It has been done before. A fresh track and so serious gumption will be needed, but eventually they will tree. I have not done it needless to say.

Buffalo Bills
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
After your cut down comments to Kyle I would think you must find it pretty hard to have any hunting partners. The guy wants info and willing to learn ....your answer to track size speaks volumes!

Caribou_lou
01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Great thread. Up here in region 6 cats are far and few between. So this is good for me to learn because I've seen tracks that look different. I assume they are cat. But for judging size and type is out of my league. Great info so far. This is what HBC is about. Hunters helping Hunters.

KB90
01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I know that there are cougars all over BC, but which area holds the highest density?

Interior? Kootneys?

The Dawg
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I know that there are cougars all over BC, but which area holds the highest density?

Interior? Kootneys?

Ft St John pubs on a payday.

Sorry.

:)

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

WOW!!! Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, nait!?

If I could help you Kyle, I sure would. Your very patient with jerks. The great predator calls I get from Dan Thompson might help you. I don't know much about cats, but they sure bring in the yotes, to within 10 feet on the run! http://danthompsongamecalls.com/

horshur
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
I can't tell much from the video........somtimes melt..snow depth..temp ect make's it really tough but if you walk out the track they probably will give up some clues. ...I think it is somthing you learn to see...you can get alot better at it just by looking long enough to verify

the easiest track to see is a fresh one on a inch of new snow on a plowed logging road..

somtimes old tracks become fresh looking with evaporation from the cold

somtimes fresh tracks(matter of hours) dogs can't move due to conditions

somtimes a small track gets all stretched out due to melt..looks big

somtimes a smallish looking track is a big Tom

It can be a fascinating lifelong preoccupation.

houndogger
01-17-2013, 11:58 PM
The island. Long ways for you to go...bigger cats where you are planning.

Hunting guy
01-18-2013, 07:56 AM
A cat hunter I know like to see the Pad clearly on the snow and have it measure close to 3 " across the bottom of the pad itself, that's one of his main ways of deciding a good Tom track.

Ruger4
01-18-2013, 08:15 AM

the group of guys that I've hunted cats with for years (and they know who they are) have taken many rookie's including myself 20 years ago to get into the "cat" hunt to learn the how to's and what to look for etc..........why ? because we all love it !! I chuckled at your answer and then noticed you were from Alberta

whitetailsheds
01-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks, thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Pictures are awesome as well!

Exactly!!! Great thread Kyle!! As well as to the others offering info and advice!
Never hunted cats myself. Was never interested until lately, and noticing the years go by!!

Nait Hadya
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks Nait, that's why I had asked the questions, I would love to go out and locate some tracks. But i'd like to know what I'm looking for and educate myself a little. your looking for.... round holes in the snow that travel in a straight line and seldom leave any distruption in the snow around the track,the cat placxes his foot. with time you can spot them along the road going at a pretty good clip,even when there are an abundance of other tracks.

"does it really matter? why are you being selective? trophy hunter looking for a quick kill?"

As i understand most hounds men don't shoot females or small cats, and I have no interest in it either.So you are a trophy hunter only want a big one eh,that's ok,at least your honets about it. lots of female lion get shot every year,at least here in Alberta.Why is it that your lynx is an ok trophy but a 100lb female lion, isn't?

But it doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy chasing and treeing them, as a matter of fact I'd love too. Would I love to kill a cat yes, but I'd have no problem just getting to tag along on a few hunts and see what it's about, but the offer i received is not like that. All I was implying is that if he is willing to come out and spend his time and money I would like to ensure that I find a track worth pursuing as I think that is what he was implying also. It would ultimately be his decision whether he would come out and run it and i'm not sure if he would for a small or female cat, I guess it's something I should ask. yes,you should be addressing you question directly to him,i run everything.

"Ifyou want a real challenge wait a few more days and then run it,if you can,depends on the dogs."

Thanks good to know if I locate an older track it still may be a possibility. Not so fast,the dudes hounds may not be capable of running older tracks.

usually the hound will let you know how old it is,

Unfortunately i don't have that option, until he gets out there, but now that I know the track could be older and still runnable it could still be worth pursuing.

yeah there are lots of guys wanting to shoot out a cat.

Nait Hadya
01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
don't limit yerself to BC,lots of guys from your neck of the woods come to alberta to hunt lion, i see their plates every year. your closer to alberta than much of bc. besides we have bigger cats here.:twisted:

LYKTOHUNT
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Interior? Kootneys?I would say Van Island

LBM
01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Nait Hadya;1274914]don't limit yerself to BC,lots of guys from your neck of the woods come to alberta to hunt lion, i see their plates every year. your closer to alberta than much of bc. besides we have bigger cats here.:twisted:[/QUOT

So whats legally required for a B.C. resident to come run cats in alberta, can a guy just come with his own dogs and run, does he need a resident host, does he need a tag/license if he is using his own dogs, can he run his dogs with an outfitter if he himself doesnt have a license etc etc is there a contact number of someone ( a CO/gamewarden) in alberta that could answer these questions.

Nait Hadya
01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Nait Hadya;1274914]don't limit yerself to BC,lots of guys from your neck of the woods come to alberta to hunt lion, i see their plates every year. your closer to alberta than much of bc. besides we have bigger cats here.:twisted:[/QUOT

So whats legally required for a B.C. resident to come run cats in alberta, can a guy just come with his own dogs and run, does he need a resident host, does he need a tag/license if he is using his own dogs, can he run his dogs with an outfitter if he himself doesnt have a license etc etc is there a contact number of someone ( a CO/gamewarden) in alberta that could answer these questions.

hunter host,license required.http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/NonResidentHunters/HunterHosts.aspx

LBM
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=LBM;1274922]

hunter host,license required.http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/NonResidentHunters/HunterHosts.aspx
So the SRD contact info on the link you posted can answer all legal questions or does one have to talk to a Co/gamewarden to get answers.

horshur
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
If there is a politically correct way of discussing this topic I haven't learned it yet.:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Nait Hadya;

Killing female lions here in BC is frowned upon.
In our regulations, they cover this...

Hence, there's a lot to be learned - The Game isn't, Whack-a-Cat.
It's, Selective Hunting.

KB90
01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
o you are a trophy hunter only want a big one eh,that's ok,at least your honets about it. lots of female lion get shot every year,at least here in Alberta.Why is it that your lynx is an ok trophy but a 100lb female lion, isn't?

You are correct my lynx was a female. This was the first lynx I had ever seen, and did not know what I was even looking at. That is the disadvantage of calling them and having no one of experience to teach/explain, had I had more knowledge on these animals like I do now and or dogs to tree I would not have shot this cat. That's he best part of using dogs, you can be very selective of what you shoot, as others have said here its catch an release.

Don't get me wrong tho, I am very proud of my first lynx as I was able to call her in with no experience and on my first try, and I won't judge those who decide to take females or smaller toms, as ultimately if it is legal it is your choice what makes you happy. But for me when it comes to a cougar I am only interested in taking a good representation of a male lion.

houndogger
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
If there is a politically correct way of discussing this topic I haven't learned it yet.:mrgreen:
Yes there is but everyone would need to hang their egos and know it all additudes at the door...so no there isn't! Lol

dana
01-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Here's my advice, you are really really young. The desire to hunt a lion behind dogs and get under a tree would be better quenched later on in life. You live up in the Peace and it isn't a high lion density area. If you have the ability to drive all over the province then take the time and save for a true legit lion hunt with an outfitter. If you are really wanting the DIY hunt, then get yourself a scent dog and make it your pet. Love it just like any other dog. They are a little more work and take a little more patience but it is totally doable. Go out in your neck of the woods and work your dog, training it and learning from it. Lots of lynx in that country and lynx are really good training for a pup. As you and your dog begin to figure things out, you then can start the search for a houndsman in the south that can mentor you and your dog when it comes to lions. No houndsmen will touch you with a ten foot pole otherwise. Just the assumption of illegal guiding that others can dream up is what will keep the honest houndsmen far far away from you.

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
These threads are great.
Some better advice towards the end KB, I would take it.

houndsman
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
If you are ever in the shuswap you are welcome to come out with my hounds .
I hunt most of the winter & have good frends that have been to the tree more times then thay would like to rember & still havent pulled the triger.
You have to put in your time & then it will happen for you.
if you want to just kill a cat go find a fresh track & start walking when you have jumped him start runing & yelling ,thay will go up .I have a frend that has trees a lot of big toms this way.