PDA

View Full Version : Game Cart Questions

roboto88
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello,

Anyone use/have a game cart. What do you recommend? Where would you buy it. Was thinking of making one if I can't find one that is decent so open to any plans someone might want to share for making one as well. Thanks

rocksteady
01-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Don't even bothrr trying to build one. For the price they have them.for at Cabelas, its not worth the time or effort trying to research and find the apprpriate parts..

Lionhill
01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Sasquatch fabricators in Keremeos BC.

Best unit there is.

LH

Steeleco
01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I've used 2 different types that are owned by friends. The first one is the Sasquatch unit if I recall. Nice unit bolt on wheels but solid inflated tires, never did get a flat but you run that risk, then you've got your hands full. The other, don't know it's name. It had good solid tires but the wheels were held on quick release pins. Real PITA, last fall in the Kispiox river system one of the guys in our camp got a moose at last light, By the we got into the area to recover it, it was plenty dark. We lost the pins getting them snagged on dead falls and other crap. Had to Magiver them in the dark using key ring loops. Not an easy thing to do at -10.

I'd want bolt on wheels with solid tires, but the units I've seen so far only seem to have one or the other but not both!!

thumper1
01-16-2013, 05:31 PM
What kind depends on what you're looking for. Heavy duty? Light and foldable for storage? Dual wheels for wet terrain?

I've used a 'Pak-Kart' made by Sasquatch Fabrications in south B.C. for about 15 years now. It's carried everything from moose to antelope, as well as duck blinds and decoy bags, and cabin building material. 300 lb advertised capacity and collapsible for storage. I like the pneumatic tires, but they are prone to cactus puncture. Call Ken @ 250 499-5984 - I'd recommend this locally made product. Also - they ship by Greyhound

thumper1
01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Man, that was quick - 3 responses in 3 minutes - all recommending the same brand!

warnniklz
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Took a guy into region 5 one year for mulies. He was testing out a deer cart for work. By 9 am he was tired of trying to pack around the stupid thing on his back. So he hid it under a juniper bush and carried on. Late in the day he got a decent buck. We halfed it at the 3rd rib. I slung the hinds over my shoulders and he took the front end. We hoofed the deer and gear back to the truck.

Then we had to go back to get the cart.

He wasn't happy with it and gave it to a friend of ours. And boy it's a slick rig for packing decoys and gear out onto theduck/goose field.

They have their pros and cons.

Onesock
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Ditto on the sasquatch!

rocksteady
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1190&section2=1638&ID=39903

Here is the one I bought. Welded on some extension handles as they were too short to pull push in a comfy position. Yes the wheels and struts were held together with crappy pins, but I replaced tose with cotter pins (on wheels) and bolts with lock nuts on the struts.

I was able to pull out a whole Whitey or a 1/2 elk by myself.

I welded on a sheet of expanded metal screen over the deck so animal parts (legs) would not fall through or get caught in the wheels...

pnbrock
01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
i use sasquatch cart to pack decoys into hunting fields and through some nasty crapp, awesome cart!!!

One Shot
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
What are the quality of the Ameristep deer carts? They appear to have solid tires.

rocksteady
01-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Yep, solid tires no flats..

Quality for the price IMHO..

rocksteady
01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
The other cart that shows up on the Cabelas search has bigger wheels and a cordura "hammock" for lack of a better description, but is also good quality. I have borrowed a friends, and him to help me pull out elk, and both work very well... Either one is a hell of a lot easier than dragging or using a packboard... Dependant on terrain, of course. They are the cats ass in road closures, with good roads..

Unlike the story from Warn, I leave mine folded in the truck for the whole season, get it once the critter is down, not packing it in while hunting.

KTownKiller
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I've been using a custom built one for years. It's awesome! Great for sheep hunts on horse trails, and keeping meat clean. I have to go now, but I'll try to post some pics when I get back later.

Steeleco
01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I spoke to the guy selling the Sasquatch units last spring at the trade show in the wack. If they could get solid tires on these short axles it would be a hands down winner in my mind. He did suggest filling them with foam tire repair before you head out, but I don't trust that stuff to last long enough. And when it does let go, the tube is done, sure they're cheap to buy, but you'd better have on or two in camp!!

Goliath
01-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Call up Jim and buy the Sasquatch. It's 10x better than anything else out there for reasons to lengthy to type out!

Goliath
01-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I spoke to the guy selling the Sasquatch units last spring at the trade show in the wack. If they could get solid tires on these short axles it would be a hands down winner in my mind. He did suggest filling them with foam tire repair before you head out, but I don't trust that stuff to last long enough. And when it does let go, the tube is done, sure they're cheap to buy, but you'd better have on or two in camp!!

i can comfortably say our camp has just about 1000km on our cart fully loaded...elk & moose...over the past 6 years. Did I say mention fully loaded? Yes...ave 350 lbs. 1000km? Yes over everything from cow trails, bush, brambles, sharp rocks, stumps, you name it.

So far we've replaced the twine twice, and ONE bent wheel due to serious accident. We talked about foam filled tires around camp, but honestly, flat tires just haven't happened...although we do have an emergency repair kit. Knock on wood.

KTownKiller
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
This cart goes great on narrow trails with the single wheel. Downhills are no problem with 2 handbrakes. Another person infront can help pull on uphills with a handle and rope.
I've had 2 boned out bucks and a bunch of backpacking gear on at one time, weighing well over 200 pounds. It's also designed to give you a good view of the trail so the wheel can be steered through rough trails. I would avoid any cart that is too wide for horse trails and has no brakes. The brakes work so well on my cart that I can lean into it on downhills to slow myself down. I've never had a flat tire either. I've been thinking of marketing these, but they won't be cheap. I've talked to a welder that said it would take almost a day to weld the aluminum for one frame. Then I have to add everything else.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/0002_24_zps9214226c.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/IMG_2553_zps8c6a011e.jpg

Steeleco
01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
i can comfortably say our camp has just about 1000km on our cart fully loaded...elk & moose...over the past 6 years. Did I say mention fully loaded? Yes...ave 350 lbs. 1000km? Yes over everything from cow trails, bush, brambles, sharp rocks, stumps, you name it.

So far we've replaced the twine twice, and ONE bent wheel due to serious accident. We talked about foam filled tires around camp, but honestly, flat tires just haven't happened...although we do have an emergency repair kit. Knock on wood.

Good to know, thanks

pnbrock
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
ktown do you find your carrying a lot of the weight of your load?looks to me your tire is way too foreword ,if it were further back on load would take more weight off your hands.im no engineer however!!

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 08:49 AM
ktown do you find your carrying a lot of the weight of your load?looks to me your tire is way too foreword ,if it were further back on load would take more weight off your hands.im no engineer however!!

Good question, I've often thought of this also. The only time I find a little too much weight is when I've got a whole deer on it. I can easily cut the deer in half and slide the back end further forward. The whole buck is just more photogenic.:) When I'm backpacking, it's never a broblem because all the heavy items go up near the wheel, including boned out meat. If the load went further up over the wheel, then it would be very hard to steer between rocks, roots and stumps on the rough horse trails that I use to go sheep hunting. A higher load would block your view of the trail and obstacles too much, and be too tippy when the cart is leaned over to turn. The double wheel carts would be hard or impossible to use on steep sidehills, and maneuvering on very rough/worn trails. The single wheel allows you to just hold the load level on any sidehill, but can easily be leaned over to turn or maneuver around an obstacle. It's hard to describe just how good it works unless you've seen it at work. Everyone that comes with me says it works WAY better then they thought it would!:mrgreen:

Philcott
01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
If the weight seems a bit heavy on your arms you could add shoulder straps. Just make them easy exiting in case you have a tip over on a steep trail or only put them on when that is not a concern.

I like the look of your rig.

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm also setting it up to be pulled by my mountain bike. I could get a price together for this cart if anyone wants one. Just PM me if you'd like one.

roboto88
01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks everybody for all the input and information. I think I am leaning towards the Sasquatch Fab'd game cart. I never had any experience with carts but I know it will be awesome to have one. I am a walk and stalk hunter and sometimes takes me kms from the truck so a cart is going to help out alot. Thinking of adding gear like a tree stand and blind so the cart will make it easier to get gear in as well. Thanks again for the responces, very informative. Good luck in your off season preparations and heres to hoping 2013 is the best hunting yet for everyone.

BCrams
01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Sasquatch hands down. Have packed out quite a few moose and deer with it. You can balance the load out and whether solo or with someone else, its a breeze to use.

ktownkiller - looks like all the weight is on your hands, arms and shoulders with that set up.

dd3boss
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1190&section2=1638&ID=39903

Here is the one I bought. Welded on some extension handles as they were too short to pull push in a comfy position. Yes the wheels and struts were held together with crappy pins, but I replaced tose with cotter pins (on wheels) and bolts with lock nuts on the struts.

I was able to pull out a whole Whitey or a 1/2 elk by myself.

I welded on a sheet of expanded metal screen over the deck so animal parts (legs) would not fall through or get caught in the wheels...

X2 on this cart. Solid wheels. I also added longer handles that swing out of the way when not needed. It is amazing how you do not feel any weight when packing the animals out with these carts. They are well balanced. It was only $80 on sale.

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Sasquatch hands down. Have packed out quite a few moose and deer with it. You can balance the load out and whether solo or with someone else, its a breeze to use.

ktownkiller - looks like all the weight is on your hands, arms and shoulders with that set up.

Like I say, you got to try it to beleive it. How does the Sasquach work on steep sidehills and narrow trails? Sure I have some weight on my arms, but not that bad. The extra maneuverability I get is well worth it. If I was just on old grown in roads, then the Sasquach would be better, but I'd still want brakes. But I'm taking my cart through some really steep, narrow, and rough trails. All depends on what your doing with it.

f350ps
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I've got the Sasquatch also and the thing I like most about it is you can load it a little weight forward and have next to zero weight on your arms. K

bassplayer
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
I bought a good one for $50.00. $80.00 total after shipping and took just over a week to arrive. Rated for 300 pounds and if you blow a wheel which are solid wheels may i add, they will send you a new cart at no cost providing you have the original sales receipt as they stand behind their products.

The Dawg
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Aren't you a little biased towards the sasquatch cart? Not doubtin it's a good piece of equipment , but aren't you and your son the makers of it?

:)

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm glad you're happy with your carts. I just find that for where I use it, I require brakes, low center of gravity, and maneuverability.

Salty
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
This cart goes great on narrow trails with the single wheel. Downhills are no problem with 2 handbrakes. Another person infront can help pull on uphills with a handle and rope.
I've had 2 boned out bucks and a bunch of backpacking gear on at one time, weighing well over 200 pounds. It's also designed to give you a good view of the trail so the wheel can be steered through rough trails. I would avoid any cart that is too wide for horse trails and has no brakes. The brakes work so well on my cart that I can lean into it on downhills to slow myself down. I've never had a flat tire either. I've been thinking of marketing these, but they won't be cheap. I've talked to a welder that said it would take almost a day to weld the aluminum for one frame. Then I have to add everything else.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/0002_24_zps9214226c.jpg

Love it. I get it that some think there'd be too much weight on the arms but think of a wheel barrow, lions share of the weight behind the wheel there too. The ghosts of 1000 old Italian labourers that humped concrete in wheel barrows up 2x12 planks to the next story all day would beg to differ. lol Advantages, stability and control. This would be the best 'off road' cart I figure. Towable behind a mountain bike is a nice touch. ..

bassplayer
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Love it. I get it that some think there'd be too much weight on the arms but think of a wheel barrow, lions share of the weight behind the wheel there too. The ghosts of 1000 old Italian labourers that humped concrete in wheel barrows up 2x12 planks to the next story all day would beg to differ. lol Advantages, stability and control. This would be the best 'off road' cart I figure. Towable behind a mountain bike is a nice touch. ..
Funny you brought that up Salty. My first moose i used a wheelbarrow to haul out the quarters without a problem.

bassplayer
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Awesome cart KTK.

Salty
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah I've done a fair bit of off road wheel barrow'n too bassplayer.. ya see that nice blown down fir that you can't get the truck too but is too good of firewood to pass up... make a bit of a trail and break out the wheel barrow, and through pretty ugly ground at times :) Loaded up a few tons that way through the years. .

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I've used my cart for firewood also. I've even taken my wife down a set of stairs with it! WOW, can she scream! :mrgreen: Then at the bottom, she said it wasn't too bad.

Clint_S
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I am looking for a game cart.
Not sure if I will buy or get one fabricated.
There are some good ideas here http://gametote.com/one-wheel-game-cart-review.html

I like your's KTK because the one wheelers seem the way to go if you want to be able to take it down any game trails on uneven ground but I think you can get the load centered over the wheel better to take some of the load off you.
I kinda like the Hunteez on the review page.

GoatGuy
01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Sasquatch cart gets my vote!!

KTownKiller
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
I am looking for a game cart.
Not sure if I will buy or get one fabricated.
There are some good ideas here http://gametote.com/one-wheel-game-cart-review.html

I like your's KTK because the one wheelers seem the way to go if you want to be able to take it down any game trails on uneven ground but I think you can get the load centered over the wheel better to take some of the load off you.
I kinda like the Hunteez on the review page.

That's a great link. I think if I get the load over the wheel more, I would lose too much of my view of the obstacles in the way. Those old horse trails are loaded with rocks, roots, and stumps left sticking up as the soil wears away. I need to be able to see them and make very quick turns to get through them by leaning the cart. The center of gravity is very low, so it makes it easy to lean the cart over to do this. With the wheel out infront, it is also easier to push it right over many obstacles. I'm quite sure that if the wheel was closer to me and centered under the load, it would be much harder to do this. I think the wheel on the Hunteez might be a bit too short to make it roll over obstacles easily. When I have someone with me, I like to give them a rope/tether and handle to help pull on the uphills. This works great because it is hard for two hunters to walk the same speed on rough ground if there was solid handles at each end. I only need the help on uphills so the person infront just speeds up a bit until they can feel the tether tighten up and continue pulling to the top of the hill, then let it go slack again. The wheel infront also makes it easy to load into a truck when I'm by myself. I just have to lift the wheel up onto the tailgate, then lift the handles and roll it into the truck. :mrgreen:
Here's a pic of me just about to do that. I really like bringing home game that isn't covered in dirt!:-D
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/IMG_6391_zps58a2d7da.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
01-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Aren't you a little biased towards the sasquatch cart? Not doubtin it's a good piece of equipment , but aren't you and your son the makers of it?

:)'

I think you've got 2 guest stars of CITR mixed up.

BCR's kid is just a tad young to be welding! LOL!

SSS

Bc Deer Hunter
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
KTK has one sweet rig for sure!! The weight is actually very distributed, when we went out goose hunting I was able to try it out, only caring gear but it still was very easy to push, even with a half foot of snow!! I would say it is better quality than most brands out there today!!