PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Packer/ Elk Question

Sitkaspruce
01-16-2013, 12:33 PM
A buddy of mine is going with his dad and brother on his dad's dream hunt, horse back hunting for elk in the NE.

He asked me for your opinions on timing and packers.

His dad has to be back in Ottawa for Sept 15, so they are looking at going earlier, around the last couple days of Aug and first week of Sept to the 10th. Will the elk be calling and coming to the call or will it be more of a spot and stalk hunt??

About the packers, they were going with Steamboat, but they have set dates and those dates will not work for his dad, so they are looking at Tetsa River Outfitters. Has anybody had any experience with them?? How about their area, good elk?? It looks more moose country in some of the picts.

Any other suggestions for a horseback hunt w/packers up that way?? I mentioned Kevin, but thye want to go with the horses. I thought Big9 did resident pack trips, but cannot find any info and he is worried that they will just send him to a poor location and keep the good ones for the paying clients.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Big nine does do a bunch from what I've been told - worth checking in to. Can always get ahold of Stan @ blue creek and rent the horses/gear and do the rest yourself.

01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Big nine does do a bunch from what I've been told - worth checking in to. Can always get ahold of Stan @ blue creek and rent the horses/gear and do the rest yourself.

Big Nine is a good area for sure but the packing service costs are way more $$$

boxhitch
01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Tetsa is good , not sure of the new owners of Steamboat though they are northern locals.

Maybe a little early for the rut imho

01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
SS,
We have used Steam Boat when Jeff owned it 3 times, as said new owner. The Sept 10 end of trip is kind of coming out just when they are really getting going in the rut.

Tetsa operates much the same area and good Elk are to be had any way, just not full on rut. Kevin of Riverjet is a great operator on the river but they will be packin their Elk when successful possibly a long way .........

Tough call, I heard too the Guide outfits although may pack you in may not set you up in the best of spots too. And as said Bigger money.

CT