PDA

View Full Version : Global TV report on Okanagan Wolf hunt

coach
01-16-2013, 12:11 AM
I watched this report on the 6:00 news tonight. I assume it will be on again at 11:00. Typical biased report by Global. The information was ok - but the images were clearly designed to disturb viewers.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/okanagan+wolf+hunt/video.html?v=2325995668&p=3&s=dd#video

Does the BCWF has a media savvy spokesperson who can explain the truth when it comes to issues such as predator management? It's highly unlikely we'll ever sway the antis - but there's a whole bunch of people on the fence who would support us if they understood the issues. Images of wolves being shot from helicopters, talk of wolves being hunted and poisoned nearly to extinction 50 years ago, etc have very little to do with the opening of season here in the Okanagan. This issue has been brewing for a few weeks. I think we, as hunters, need to be more proactive in making sure our side of the debate is explained to the public.

300H&H
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Some of the images were graphic but as they say in the news world "if it bleeds...it leads" and the news does not always have to be factual.
It seems they (news reporters) can throw together a bunch of seemingly related information and voila, they have a story that they may believe is non bias.
Unfortunately too many viewers mistake the story for the truth just because it is on the news.
I wonder if the news has ever knowingly misrepresented information just to sell the story.
Na...who am I trying to kid, that would never happen. :-?

coach
01-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Some of the images were graphic but as they say in the news world "if it bleeds...it leads".

I agree with you, Rick. Pictures of dead deer, moose, elk, cattle, killed by wolves and left uneaten would be great images too and would tell a completely different side of the story.

hunterdon
01-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Actually, after viewing the story, I think it shows hunters and the need for hunting wolves in a positive light. It was good to hear a non hunter, a rancher, actually speaking quite supportive of a wolf hunt. I think the images of hunting wolves by helicopters and the mentioning of poisoning wolves as "in the past", leaves the viewer with the idea that this is not what's happening now, and by contrast, hunting is a more humane way to control wolf populations.

Another good point made, was the fact that wolf hunting is by no means like shooting fish in a barrel, but rather an extremely challenging predator, or in this case, prey. In other words, people are not getting the image of a slaughter or eradication of the wolf population. At least that's my feeling of the video. Time will tell of course, how the general public will interpret the video. All in all, it looks positive for hunting to me. It most certainly could have been a lot worse.

300H&H
01-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Another good point made, was the fact that wolf hunting is by no means like shooting fish in a barrel, but rather an extremely challenging predator, or in this case, prey. In other words, people are not getting the image of a slaughter or eradication of the wolf population. At least that's my feeling of the video. Time will tell of course, how the general public will interpret the video. All in all, it looks positive for hunting to me. It most certainly could have been a lot worse.

When I heard that there was going to be a open season for wolves I thought it would be as easy as finding yotes...boy was I wrong.
I do know where they are but there is too much deep snow and to far back to go on foot (snow shoes).

coach
01-16-2013, 01:01 AM
It's good to hear you saw it that way, Don. Maybe I'll have to view it a third time! :-D As I said at the start - the images bothered me from a pro-hunting perspective. The info was good.

hunterdon
01-16-2013, 01:07 AM
I hear ya loud and clear on that one. Even I find it hard to convince myself to take a day or 2 to snowshoe up the mountains after wolves. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape for an old dog, but hunting wolves this time of year can kill a guy by exhaustion, or hypothermia, or....... I guess that's when the wolves win and they can have me for supper!:-D

hunterdon
01-16-2013, 01:25 AM
I see where you're coming from coach. We as hunters are perhaps more sensitive to this issue, having more experience and knowledge to draw from when it comes to hunting wolves or any game animal for that matter. But the general non hunting public doesn't have this knowledge to draw conclusions from.

Many ordinary folk actually have the misconception that we as hunters, carrying high powered rifles, equipped with sniper quality scopes, gps, range finders, trail cameras etc, accessing this great wilderness of ours, on go anywhere vehicles such as 4x4 trucks, atv's, snowmobiles etc. is a piece of cake for taking any animal of our choosing. Nothing could be further from the truth. There's a lot of time, effort and money involved to be a successful hunter....as we all know too well.

So, in that sense this video, dispels that misconception particularly with regard to hunting wolves.......and that's a positive for us. Just my opinion.

GoatGuy
01-16-2013, 02:01 AM
It isn't bad, compared to global's approach on grizzly bears and pynnhead's approach to life in general.

Unfortunately, environmentalist's have re-labeled themselves as conservationists to become more social acceptable to the public. Hunters and anglers should be identifying themselves as conservationists and the label of environmentalists should be stuck to the appropriate organizations.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-16-2013, 05:39 AM
I think the warning about disturbing graphic scenes at the beginning of the story pertained to seeing the ass-end of the cow all torn up ans sewed back together.
Thought their coverage could have been a lot worse. CHBC usually isn't as bad a Global Vancouver.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that they called it a "wolf cull" when they were leading up to the story....but that was the only place they used that term.

SSS

Mr. Dean
01-16-2013, 07:30 AM
One thing I didn't like was the fact that they called it a "wolf cull" when they were leading up to the story....but that was the only place they used that term.

SSS

That right there tells me that they're not done and will use this story as a lead into more....

gcreek
01-16-2013, 08:11 AM
I thought Gary did a good job explaining the ranchers position.

ncurrie
01-16-2013, 08:18 AM
This is my neighbour, I thought Gary explained the situation very well. You should of seen that cows' hind end in person. Very gross, and what it has done to others that were not shown.

coach
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
I agree with you, Gcreek and Ncurrie - Gary did do a very good job of explaining the rancher's position.

SUAFOYT
01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
It isn't bad, compared to global's approach on grizzly bears and pynnhead's approach to life in general.

Unfortunately, environmentalist's have re-labeled themselves as conservationists to become more social acceptable to the public. Hunters and anglers should be identifying themselves as conservationists and the label of environmentalists should be stuck to the appropriate organizations.

Hunters have always been conservationists.

Brez
01-16-2013, 09:10 AM
I actually found the clip pretty non-critical and informative. What they missed out on is the increased pressure on wildlife from the increase in wolves. If they showed a few deer, elk, and moose carcasses it would have made it more realistic and informative.

coach
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Parts of the same clip were on the morning news - minus the helicopter images.

The Dude
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I thought it was very unbiased. Glad to see a report featuring Bios and ranchers as opposed to someone that's completely uninformed on Davie St holding a Starbcks whining about how barbaric hunting is.
Good on them, and a good report.

Jelvis
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Gary for mayor

r106
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I thought it was very unbiased. Glad to see a report featuring Bios and ranchers as opposed to someone that's completely uninformed on Davie St holding a Starbcks whining about how barbaric hunting is.
Good on them, and a good report.

Yup a big X2 on that. As far as news reporting on this subject I was surprised that a reporter actually got some facts and credible people's opinion. You almost never see that when it's a hunting/gun related story.