PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer vs. Whitetail

1stalker
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I came across an interesting read, and was hoping for some feedback from the forum followers....

We have all seen the effects on the Mule deer over the last couple years.

Subject: Effects of White-Tailed deer on Mule Deer

By Val Geist
Dr. Susan Lingle carried out in Calgary experimental studies in captivity as well - over decades - observation on free-living sympatric populations of mule deer and whitetails in southern Alberta. Her Masters and subsequent PhD degree from Cambridge were based on her excellent work there. She is currently a professor in biology at the University of Winnipeg.

Thanks to her work, we can be quite confident about how whitetails impact mule deer. And I am the bearer of bad tidings: the demise of mule deer in the presence of whitetails is - unfortunately - a consequence of mismanagement.

Here is the story.

In un-hunted populations, mule deer and white-tailed deer co-exist without noticeable problem. Mule deer are totally dominant over whitetails. White-tailed deer of both sexes are attracted to mule deer during the rut, but not vice versa. That is even true when estrus white-tailed does avidly court large mule deer bucks. Hybridization, when it does take place, is almost exclusively by mule deer does being bred by white-tailed bucks.

However, in unhunted population such is minimal as long as eager white-tailed bucks meet a large mule deer buck guarding an estrus doe. The large mule deer buck is totally dominant over all white-tailed bucks. The fate of the hybrid is early mortality due to predation as the hybrid has neither the escape strategies nor tactics of the father or the mother. This Susan Lingle demonstrated experimentally.

Hybrids run slower than either parent, hit obstacles while jumping, and do neither attack nor flee from a predator. In captivity, protected by humans, the hybrids grow into large deer and the females into highly fertile mothers that raise big babies.

That's not what happens in the wild state with abundant predators. The reproduction of a mule deer female bred by a white-tailed buck is a net loss to the mule deer population. One way hybridization accelerates and can be catastrophic where hunting (a) removes the large mule deer males, and (b) the disturbances drive mule deer does into cover.

Here they are in the habitat of white-tailed deer. Large white-tailed bucks displace small guarding mule deer bucks and breed the estrus mule deer females. The reproduction of mule deer is thereby severely impaired and their number declines.

However, there are pockets of mule deer that survive in a sea of whitetails. How come? Such pockets of surviving mule deer are found in prairie sand dune country. The reasons for mule deer survival are perfectly logical in view of their breeding biology. When a white-tailed buck picks up a female mule deer, the female mule deer - escapes by stotting straight-up the slopes of the hills. The white-tailed buck, with his fast rotary gallop cannot follow. He can at best ascend at a diagonal.

Secondly, in the sand hill country with its sparse vegetation, any fleeing mule deer doe is at once spotted by a large mule deer buck as such occupy good lookouts (there is a reason why the eyes of prairie mule deer almost as large as those of pronghorns). In short, in sand dune country the manner in which the mule deer doe escapes combined with the visibility favors here being bred by a large mule deer buck.
Moreover, where mule deer and whitetails coexist mule deer does attack coyotes that approach mule deer or white-tailed fawns. Whitetails do not reciprocate the favor. That's another of Susan Lingles significant finds.

The best way to exterminate mule deer and insure that whitetails replace them is to kill as many mature mule deer bucks as possible.
Then one-way hybridization will take care of the mule deer.

The first measure needed to secure the existence of mule deer when whitetails invade is to protect a large contingent of mature, older mule deer bucks.

Secondly, there must be simultaneously a very liberal hunting seasons on white-tailed deer. That may be a difficult management strategy to implement as it would require a severe cutting back on mule deer hunting, and dispensing the limited buck licenses via lottery.

I am well aware of that difficulty! However, look where mule deer are holding their own against whitetails.

Another little point: whitetails are non competitors. To see real food competitors in action, study Eurasian deer. Wherever whitetails faced Sika deer, fallow deer, red deer, or axis deer they vanished. One reason why in Europe whitetails hold themselves only in Finland on agricultural land is the absence of roe deer, fallow deer or red deer.

The above is not new and was worked out in the 1980's, see also Lingle's award winning work and my chapters on WT and mule deer in my 1998 Deer of the World.

Cheers, Val Geist

Jhors
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Geist says much the same thing in his very interesting and educational book, "Mule Deer Country". If you want to know about mule deer habits and more on the topic of this thread I recommend you read the book!

hunterdon
01-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Good article. I can concur with several points made.

-Mule deer does are VERY protective of fawns. I have witnessed first hand on my land a mulie doe chase with great determination a large male coyote, all the while striking at the coyote with it's front hoof, while in full pursuit of the coyote. A few days later, I found the dead coyote. I have never seen this type of activity displayed by whitetail does.

-in my area that I hunt deer, we have good populations of mulies and whitetails. Historically, mulies higher up and whities down low. However, since there is a general open rifle season on white tail does, (3 years past now), the mule deer have now started to populate down in the valley bottoms. This year, in my area the mulies are about equal in number to white tails. 4 years ago and further back, there were none.

It's interesting about the relationship of the breeding match ups. However, in my area, mule deer hunting has not changed these past years. In other words, there still is the same hunting pressure on large male mule deer. Yet, the mule deer population has rebounded dramatically. So, it's seems that just the reduction of the white tail doe population is the reason for the positive mule deer numbers, and that without eliminating hunting of large male mule deer.

Bottom line. The general overall reduction of whitetails benefits mule deer. No question about that.......... Just my thoughts.

HarryToolips
01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Very interesting.....

BCKyle
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Geist says much the same thing in his very interesting and educational book, "Mule Deer Country". If you want to know about mule deer habits and more on the topic of this thread I recommend you read the book!
I was going to say the same thing. Mule Deer Country has the same information in a slightly elaborated format and with more 'year the life of a mule deer' stuff too. Worth the read for anyone interested in them thar critters.

Husky7mm
01-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Should'nt be a problem in the EK, we haves lots of hills, and people absoulutely hammer the shit out of both species of bucks....... competition for does is minimal at best!

Fella
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Well if this isn't incentive to go shoot a big white tail buck I don't know what is!

HIGHRPM
01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
A dam good read ! Something I would have not thought about myself.

dd3boss
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
A very interesting read. I think I will concentrate more on hunting Whitetails next season.

BearSupreme
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
That must be the reason why its usually 4 point or better for mulies, so they can be wiped out. Im starting to get used to government incompetence..

Husky7mm
01-21-2013, 10:45 PM
That must be the reason why its usually 4 point or better for mulies, so they can be wiped out. Im starting to get used to government incompetence..

I thought it was for excapement.... game management is a tough row to hoe.

bugler
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I believe that it is this opinion from Geist that brought about the type of management that they have in Alberta and Saskatchewan for mule deer and whitetail. In both provinces mulies are on draw for rifles while WT are GOS. Both have a pretty long open bow season. It seems to be working for them as they generally have plenty of both. Not saying it should be like that here necessarily, as the difference in terrain likely makes the prairie deer much more vulnerable.

Harvest the Land
08-22-2015, 10:54 AM
This is a very interesting article. I guess I don't understand why after Nov 1st in many areas we can only target mature Mulies with 4 points or better? According to this article, it would seem logical to target mulies with less than 4 points - am I wrong? And obviously take whitetails whenever possible

Dannybuoy
08-22-2015, 11:10 AM
This is a very interesting article. I guess I don't understand why after Nov 1st in many areas we can only target mature Mulies with 4 points or better? According to this article, it would seem logical to target mulies with less than 4 points - am I wrong? And obviously take whitetails whenever possible

We used to be able to take 2 WT bucks ( in the same MU)and it was quite easy , I am guessing the buck to doe ratio was off so they changed it to 1 of each . I would think the younger Mulies would take a bigger hit than the older wiser ones and a later/longer season wouldn't be a good idea on the youngsters . JMO

ACB
08-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Whitetails are definitely expanding their range.About 4 or 5 yrs. a go while hunting Mulies close to Puntzi lake I had just dropped my buddy off for his evening hunt and came around a corner and on the uphill side of the road in a slash the hillside was alive with deer, 3 bucks and1 doe. A young 4pt. a mature3x4 pt. and a 5pt. Whitetail with his nose up the does rear end. One of the best Whitetail bucks I'v seen in B.C. and me without a Whitetail tag or a Mulie because I'd canceled mine in the morning on a meat buck.LOL suck to be me. It's amazing how Whitetails have expanded their range.

Sofa King
08-22-2015, 06:16 PM
WT are better at concealing themselves in some areas, due to being so dang nervous.
and now with so much of the bush being turned into vast clearcuts, they are now being SEEN much more often.
because of the increased sightings, many people then think they've suddenly exploded in population in areas they never were before.
I've always seen WT in pretty much every MD area that I frequent, and this goes back to the late '80s.
I've always known they were there, but they weren't so easy to target and find.
but now, with there being just patches of trees here and there, amongst the massive logged areas, it's much more common to spot them.