PDA

View Full Version : Pretty slow lately - here are some questions on backwall and release

Ike
01-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

I am considering buying a Carter Attraction release to work on my release form. That model has the option to use it as a 'pull through' release but can be converted to a standard thumb trigger. I would use it mostly as a pull through style

Q: Has anyone used the Attraction and what are your opinions on that release?

I read in one archery instruction book that I should anchor in the middle of the valley, but the other day I watched an interview with Randy Ulmer saying that for hard agressive cams it is more consistent to pull hard into the wall. (My bows have hard cams, which explains why I want to work on my release form :oops: )

Q: Can anyone comment on what they have found on hard cam bows or does it all differ for everyone's style?

Thanks and Cheers

knockturnal
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
I am hard into my back wall on my Hoyts. I know that if I hold like this, I will be consistent every time. I use a carter hook style release but shoot it like a back tension. I shorten the release as short as it will go and hook my finger over the trigger. Then with steady backwards pressure on my elbow, which in turn pulls my finger back, I have liftoff.

Ike
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Forgot to mention this is mostly for 3D and plinking.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I always pull into the back wall ... if your bow has a spongy wall or if you anchor in the middle of the valley .. you will never get a consistant release

the Atraction is an awesome release aid ... be sure that you set the tension correctly to your bow ...otherwise you are in for a train wreck ;) I personally dont like set up for tension for 3D tho .. simply because some 3D shots are set up in a hunting situation where you will have less than perfect form ... I prefer a thumb trigger for this ..

Look up "GRIV" (George Ryals IV) or "Archery learning center" .. he has alot of release Vids floating around (he was a designer for Hoyt and Carter)

Ike
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks gents,

I tend to pull more light to moderately into the backwall, definitely not hard.
I was trying a cheaper thumb trigger release (Jimi T) but can't get a consistent release, hence the look at the pull-through Attraction since it can be do both.

In your opinions, would the pull through release be a benefit or would tonnes of practice with a Carter or Stan thumb trigger model do the same?

Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
01-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Personal preferance ... I use thumb triggers ... but I set them off with my index finger ... hard to explain via text ... next time your in PG call me ...A pull through really only works well if you pull hard into the wall ...

you set the release for a few pounds over your holding weight ... draw the bow ...anchor... release the safety and pull hard into the back wall. If you have a holding weight of say 15 pounds ... you would set the release at say 17 or 18 pounds once you acheive that poundage on the release ... the arrow will be let loose.

Jonas111
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
I've owned quite a few Carter's and the attraction was my first. It was a great release to better understand the proper way to release an arrow. Once I started to figure out the attraction I switched to a truball HT hinge style release. I was obsessed with learning back tension and wanted to be as accurate as I could be. I truly never felt comfy with a wrist strap release and adjusted into the thumb trigger and hinge much better.

Today my hunting release is a carter target 3. My indoor target archery is shot with a truball HT and now trying out the truball inside and out. It's pretty much the same as the HT but not as hot.

Like mikey said, if your back wall is spongy at all you will hate that attraction. Go with the thumb style and learn how to roll the release into your thumb to make it go off. You shouldn't be able to predict when the release goes off.