PDA

View Full Version : Calling wolves

sako04
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I gonna try to call in some wolves, first of all is it legal to use an electric call and what would you use? Distress? Howls? I've called in wolves once before but that was in the alpine with a bugle

HarryToolips
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Where you gonna try calling em? I live in westbank, am in the bush all the time around here and never seen em, only heard em in 3-12 in september. I have heard from some guys that there are a few in the peachland area..really curious let me know what goes on..

The Dawg
01-15-2013, 01:56 PM
If you can hear them, be damn sure they can hear you :)

E-calls would work- fox pro is what I would choose

Baiting as well

Skull Hunter
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Electronic callers are perfectly legal for wolves. I just bought myself the Primos Alpha dogg. I've only had it out once but I was happy with it.

Can't say I have much experience with the electronic caller, but what I'm going to try is making a set up out on a frozen lake, place a bunch of Raven decoys (home made) and use a raven gathering call. My hope is, the sound will get their attention, then attract them into the open to check out a potential kill. That is how I'm hoping it'll work, but in all likely hood the wolves will be too smart for that.

I've heard, that if you're in a place with lots of Coyotes, wolves might come into coyote howls as well, but I don't know how effective that would be.

Rackmastr
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Find fresh tracks and start howling. I've used my mouth to howl wolves in the past and its worked well. Had some come in very close this year but didnt make it happen. Other times I've had them hang up or not want to come out into a clearing, etc.

bearguy
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I tried howling em in up the Kettle valley to no avail. My wife and I have seen two wolves around the 76 - 79 km mark while October hunting the Christian Valley. They must be after the gutbags. Hopefully next year, might just get a poke at one from our blind.

tadpole
01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I live in Westbank as well and I have seen them in in a Fintry area of Westside Rd repeatedly. If you access Terrace Mountain Rd just before La Casa, you will see plenty of wolf signs and activity in here. I hate them cause they make deer very spooky and I see their boot prints almost always when I'm in the area.

Mr. Dean
01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I went out over New Years for a full week, to give Pred Hunting a solid try - Fun stuff!
The area I went into has a large population of wolves.

One afternoon I cut a fresh track on the graded road and I set up in the bushes where a couple trails intersected it.
I used rabbit squeals and fawn distress on my digi call (Johnny Stewart).

After 30-45 minutes, I managed to see him out ~70 yards but unfortunately, he was bookin' it for the timber (BUSTED!) before I noticed him. :sad:
So yeah, it works!

If you want help on finding where the wolves are, call the CO Services in your neighbourhood; they'll know.

Drillbit
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Find fresh tracks and start howling. I've used my mouth to howl wolves in the past and its worked well. Had some come in very close this year but didnt make it happen. Other times I've had them hang up or not want to come out into a clearing, etc.

I've had the same experience. Can get them to howl back but never show. I usually copy what they do (like h1947's video). All the wolves I've shot have been while hunting other things. Also, I never see coyotes if there are wolf tracks around. If you're going into an area that has lots of coyote tracks to wolf hunt, I'd say you're reducing your odds. They'll kill a coyote the same as they killed those hounds, so coyotes will avoid them.

stonefever_14
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
I have killed a few coyotes. I have tried calling in wolves with a distress call didnt have much luck but it is alot of excitment when you get on some tracks

one-shot-wonder
01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
If your in an area with lots of coyote tracks, use coyote calls and likely yotes will come in, if a wolf pokes his head out well that's a bonus!

weekender
01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't have much experience with calling in wolves or coyotes. I use a foxpro and use the injured rabbit call or distressed calf when around cattle. I have read that wolves and coyotes are all about food and if they hear a wounded animal calling they will come. It has worked a couple times for me. Coyote howling works best during the mating season.

The Dude
01-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Note: If you see lots of Coyote tracks, and hear lots of yipping at night, forget hunting wolves there. If there are wolves, they will kill any Coyote they can catch, so the remaining song dogs shut up pretty quickly.

300H&H
01-16-2013, 12:36 AM
If you can hear them, be damn sure they can hear you :)

E-calls would work- fox pro is what I would choose

Baiting as well

What would you use for bait ?

boxhitch
01-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Fintry ? La Casa ? thats pretty close to people. Have shot coyotes there in the past but never seen wolf sign. Buggers eating sheep no doubt.

Calling always works best when there are more than one shooter around.

The Dude
01-16-2013, 04:19 AM
What would you use for bait ?

Many ranches have sick cows and horses that need to be mercifully put down. if you're in the right time and place, they may help you out.
With Wolves, once they're shot off a cow or horse, however, they will avoid it like the plague. Another good reason to get a trapping license, so that you may gather road kill, as they are less suspicious of wild game.

dave_fras
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
i just got a fox pro 2 days ago!... im think about heading out friday and sunday to try her out! im gonna go out goudie friday for wolves.... ive been seeing a good amount of sign! and a buddy of mine saw one crossing james lake 3 days ago!

Mr. Dean
01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
i just got a fox pro 2 days ago!... im think about heading out friday and sunday to try her out! im gonna go out goudie friday for wolves.... ive been seeing a good amount of sign! and a buddy of mine saw one crossing james lake 3 days ago!

Too Kewl.
I have another week planned for later in February.

Hopefully there will be a DEEP FREEZE happening - All critters require an enormous, caloric intake to survive during cold spells. :wink: :wink:
Time to get vehicles ready for the cold...

sako04
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm gonna be hunting them on my buddys ranch up in 5-02 only sign I've seen near Westbank is up on Pennask mountain