PDA

View Full Version : Winter Conditions for Critters

blackbart
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Just wondering how the winter conditions are looking for game survival throughout BC?

Muskwa Country?

Peace Country?

Wet Koots?

East Koots?

Omineca?

Dease?

Smithers area?

Cariboo?

Jelly Town?

Okanagan?

Clearwater?
Clearwater?
Clearwater?
Clearwater?

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping things up north are not as bad as I fear....

moosinaround
01-15-2013, 01:01 AM
I was up in the Peace 2 weeks ago and the snow was 3ft deep and it had just finished with -30 weather. All the animals were in fields, or on haybales if they could find them. The elk we got was still fairly fat, and in good shape at the time! 1 field we seen had 100 plus elk alone on it, with 100 plus deer whities/mulies. The moose all seemed to have no trouble as yet with mobility, but any more snow and all the critters will have a tough finish! I'll let you know what it looks like at the end of Feb

I am in the Omineca, and conditions are not all that bad for the ungulates. If the wolves don't put a hurtin on things this winter, there should be pretty good survival, as snow is not too deep yet, and the weather has not been too cold yet! Gonna put up trail cams here soon and we will see what shows up!!

Thats all I have seen so far this winter! Moosin

hunter1947
01-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Trench EK cranbrook area around 6 to 10 inches snow low line areas not frozen snow powdered snow the last week temp been around -10 for the hi and around -15 to -20 the low temperatures the say are going to get up around +1 starting this Wed and the low of -5 at night the next 10 day forecast no snow ,the animals I have saw this winter are looking very good..

gunpower
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Elk Valley- 2-4 feet of snow and temp -2 to -16 so far.
We are about 50% behind on our snow fall so far this winter.

Jelvis
01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
ten inches of snow at 1100 feet in Kamloops getting a slight crust. As of today Jan 15th 2013
Fair amount and not going anywhere soon.

KB90
01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
+7 and a very strong chinook wind here in dawson, sure knocks the snow levels down quick!

In some fields that were drifted off from high winds and powdery snow in that last cold snap, I can now see stuble and even bare ground in some spots.

lovemywinchester
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
-7 in Kamloops today. Went for a snowshoe for a few hours today looking for sheds and it was cold with lots of snow. Was around 1300 m. The snow varied from thigh deep to a few inches of hard packed but was mostly knee deep powder. The deer looked like they were doing well. TONS of tracks and beds all over. One set of dog tracks but no dead deer or kills found. Saw a few mulies.

jag
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Live half way between PG and Houston, on the border of Ominica/Skeena MU. 18-30" of powder snow and between -12 and -20. Had a little chinook today +1C. Game I've seen looks to be in real good shape. Hope nothing changes.

doubled
01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Live just off the Connector above Peachland and there is lots of snow there. Have almost two feet at our house.

Clint_S
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
West Kootenay.
Started off like gangbusters before xmas but the snow has stopped falling and there's not tons in the valley bottoms.
Was working along the Columbia north of castlegar and in spots under the trees there's not just little snow, there is none.