PDA

View Full Version : buying a used argo, any advice, things to check?

BRvalley
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
not sure if this is the right forum, I'm looking for any advice, not so much advertising that i'm looking to buy...please move it need be

I am considering driving a fair distance to washington, MT baker area, to look at a used argo, nobody i know has ever owned one, don't know much about them....I know it's easy to retro fit a new engine, chain driven, I pressume rubber seals around the axles...probably not feasible to water check the hull for leaks but cracks should be fairly easy to find

has anybody owned one on here? are they are any known issues I should ask about or look for? it's in running condition, apparently runs like a top, recently serviced with receipts

what is a fair price for an early/mid 80's argo? 17hp, comes with tracks

Thank you for any feedback.

itsy bitsy xj
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Well here is a 2010 Argo 8x8 for under $6000 that could be a guide for you, I saw an '80's 6x6 Argo in Kelowna with a new 18hp motor all good running but had no tracks and it was $2500

http://skagit.craigslist.org/sgd/3545501982.html (mhtml:{3100CD2E-AD3E-4A1A-B73B-A7464C4D62AB}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://skagit.craigslist.org/sgd/3545501982.html)

russm86
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Just a heads up when bringing stuff like that across the border, they may make you leave it there for some length of time before you can bring it across so they can confirm everything is legit on it, documentation, paper work, sales, etc... A buddy had a couple mini-bikes they tried to bring back had to wait 48hrs or something before they were allowed to bring them across the border. Had another guy I know with a quad, had to leave his there for a week. Not sure if its the same for buying from a dealer or not, these cases were both private sales.

itsy bitsy xj
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Just a heads up when bringing stuff like that across the border, they may make you leave it there for some length of time before you can bring it across so they can confirm everything is legit on it, documentation, paper work, sales, etc... A buddy had a couple mini-bikes they tried to bring back had to wait 48hrs or something before they were allowed to bring them across the border. Had another guy I know with a quad, had to leave his there for a week. Not sure if its the same for buying from a dealer or not, these cases were both private sales.

That rule should only apply to motor vech. I have brought 2 boats with trailers and two military trailers back from the US with out the 48 hour delay. You should check with the US customs to be sure. If that is the case then all you need to leave at the boarder is the paper work.

Danny
01-14-2013, 03:07 PM
If it does need some work ,they are simple to work on and parts are cheep too. Ive had and rebuilt a couple of them
Last one i had was an 1983 and i sold it for $4000 with tracks

tuchodi
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
There is not to much to them, all basic stuff. I have owned a few and the older ones from the 70 & 80's had smaller axle shafts and smaller chain than the newer ones. That was always the weak spot on them. You are right on the motor as any Kohler, B&S motor will fit with very little trouble. You can see most of the body so you can check that out for torn or ripped spots or patches. Transmission is very simple but hard to check but if the motor runs then you can make sure the transmission is working. Bearings and seal on the axles are all standard. Good luck but as was stated earlier coming across the boarder may take a little time.

Drillbit
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
You're looking at buying a used ARGO.....I'd get your brain checked?

Seriously though, I'd look at the overall condition and how it was taken care of. Usually the first impression is right. Jack each side up and see if theres any wiggle on any of the wheels, look for any damage. Ask how to maintain it, you'll know right away how it was treated. Might want to buy some stocks in a chain company, and back pain company medicine too, lol. And if it's in the US, it MUST have the original title to get it back across the border.

Buck
01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Rock doctor is the Argo guru here.pm him he has a wealth of knowledge on the best years ect.

Darksith
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
why an argo? Is it a cost thing or do you actually want to go into the water with it...I love my Rhino, probably get ya more places without getting hung up as easy, just doesn't float, wait till I get tracks on it next year, then its really gonna take me anywhere

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
not sure if this is the right forum, I'm looking for any advice, not so much advertising that i'm looking to buy...please move it need be

Moved it into Hunting Gear....

BRvalley
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Brain checked? lol...I mostly want it for ice fishing, pulling a hut and gear around...the year round aspect is pretty cool though, fab up a cover top and maybe some duck hunting?....seen a few argo's last year pulling huts around that beat the snot of what my old tundra sled could do in sloppy conditions

I've pulled used boats across the border without any issues, but I'll double check on the 48 hr thing...a friend saw it for sale where he rented a cabin over christmas (being sold by the property management that operates the cabins), so i trust his opinion it's worth the drive (4 hrs), as long as we're on the same page price wise over the phone before I drive down

do they snap chains often? i searched the google machine but didn't read much about snapping chains

thanks for the replies

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1010326_J_REXweb1.jpg

:tongue: :tongue:

Boner
01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
why an argo? Is it a cost thing or do you actually want to go into the water with it...I love my Rhino, probably get ya more places without getting hung up as easy, just doesn't float, wait till I get tracks on it next year, then its really gonna take me anywhere

That's what I thought too, until I high centered my ranger on a guard rail. There wasn't quite enough snow to float over, and I dug down. The tracks don't slide over stuff like a tire would. I couldn't winch it forward or drag it back. Some good samaritans helped me out, a telescopic loader and a bobcat with a snow bucket were working nearby and saw me. The bobcat cleared snow so the loader could get in tighter, and he lifted me right off.

I priced out argo accessories a couple of years ago before I bought my ranger, the ROPS(which I need for work) was over $3000. The better tracks were $4500. If I bought one, it would have been used, because there are some good ones out there, and i'd look for one with at least a ROPS. I wouldn't want to flip one of those suckers without it. The new ones can be over $30 000 easy with a few options.

Drillbit
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Brain checked? lol...I mostly want it for ice fishing, pulling a hut and gear around...the year round aspect is pretty cool though, fab up a cover top and maybe some duck hunting?....seen a few argo's last year pulling huts around that beat the snot of what my old tundra sled could do in sloppy conditions

I've pulled used boats across the border without any issues, but I'll double check on the 48 hr thing...a friend saw it for sale where he rented a cabin over christmas (being sold by the property management that operates the cabins), so i trust his opinion it's worth the drive (4 hrs), as long as we're on the same page price wise over the phone before I drive down

do they snap chains often? i searched the google machine but didn't read much about snapping chains

thanks for the replies

Shouldn't be snapping chains, just something you'll have to keep maintained. I was teasing more than anything with the chain/back pain pill comment.....and the getting your brain checked too, lol.

Make sure he has the title before you drive down there.

fuzzybiscuit
03-11-2014, 10:28 PM
BRValley;

Did you get the Argo?

Husky7mm
03-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Lots for sale in alberta. I would buy as new as I could afford, that's just my opinion.

Husky7mm
03-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Well, not everywhere...... But lots of extra fun to be had anyways!!

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd483/husky7mm/P4170056.jpg (http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/husky7mm/media/P4170056.jpg.html)

fuzzybiscuit
03-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Lots for sale in alberta. I would buy as new as I could afford, that's just my opinion.

Lots of x oil field Argos or old ones that need a ton of work. Finding a cherry used one is not that easy. I've been looking for a few months with a couple trips around the province only to be disappointed each time. When a good one comes up you have to act quick because they are sold fast.

I just stopped by Argyll Motorsports in Edmonton today to look at some new ones. Nice but very $$$$.

If I hunted solid ground I'd never buy one but north of Fort McMurray anything less than an Argo won't get you far. I pulled a couple quads out last year with my 6x6 Bigfoot that were sunk real good. An Argo without tracks like mine gets stuck to, but a quick pull with the winch and you are going again.

Chopper
03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1010326_J_REXweb1.jpg

:tongue: :tongue:

I wish they made these tracks so that the fronts pointed up like the bow of a boat ... or a tank. I found on the quads they tend to sink down rather than float up ... such a great and stupid design

Just a badass looking rig though

wiggy
03-12-2014, 08:16 PM
The new ones are better then the old ones. Used lots since 79. In the early 80s the 6 wheels are tough as hell and can go lots of places nothing else will. Lots of stories. Lots of easy outs with game. Stay away from the old 8s. Lots of problems with the pins if you use it hard.
Ill probably buy another one when I can get a newer one in good shape for half price lol.

BRvalley
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
BRValley;

Did you get the Argo?

nope, price was right and buddy was in a hurry to sale, I couldn't make it quick enough before he took cash in hand, wish I did though...I'm still jealous seeing argo's out ice fishing

Husky7mm
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
nope, price was right and buddy was in a hurry to sale, I couldn't make it quick enough before he took cash in hand, wish I did though...I'm still jealous seeing argo's out ice fishing
Procrastinators will take over the world.........

one day...... Lol