PDA

View Full Version : Stone Mountain Safaris

Roughneck Country
01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Just looking at booking a Stone sheep hunt and am leaning towards Stone Mountain Safairs. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on them or their area. He seems to have a lot of allocations and darker rams. I just want a nice representitive species not looking for the next book ram.

I am a non resident and can likly only do this trip once as it took years to save for the trip. Just want to be sure I would be getting my best odds for a ram. I know there are several other outfits out there that offer the hunt, but really there is only about half dozen that I think I would even concider.

Please let me know your opinions of the outfit as well as the area they are in. Thanks in advance!

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Can't comment on what you seek.

But if you're lucky in killing one of my sheep, you're welcome. :sad:

ianwuzhere
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
ive never been on a hunt with them, but they have a great area..

rocksteady
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Isn't that who Proguide works for???

BiG Boar
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Probably not a ton of guys on here use their services as its free to DIY here. However I am sure there are guys that have worked there on here?

Sofa King
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
ive never been on a hunt with them, but they have a great area..

same.
them or northern rockies lodge.
that's who i'll probably book with this ear.
i'm just waiting to confirm my hunting partner is actually getting in shape like he keeps saying he is.

good luck on the sheep hunt.

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
same.
them or northern rockies lodge.
that's who i'll probably book with this ear.
i'm just waiting to confirm my hunting partner is actually getting in shape like he keeps saying he is.

good luck on the sheep hunt.

So you're a Trophy Hunter.
Go figure....

Sofa King
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Can't comment on what you seek.

But if you're lucky in killing one of my sheep, you're welcome. :sad:

:-Dlucky you, no attacks.
i mentioned in a thread trying to drive up to my hunting area, and got attacked by people yelling at me that it's not "my" area, it belongs to everyone.:evil:

Sofa King
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
So you're a Trophy Hunter.
Go figure....

not at all.
it's my friend who wnats me to go.
he got a nice ram in that area and really, really wants to get back there again.
he lives in saskatchewan now and knows it would probably be his last time.
he's paying for the whole trip, our flights, my lost wages, everthing.
kinda hard to say no to that.
i'll probably just accompany as a sheep hunt isn't on my priority list.
it'll be more a holiday that i would never do otherwise.
i'd prefer to sit down at camp at the lake we'll get dropped off at and fish the whole time.

Roughneck Country
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Not sure whats wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat is not wasted, brings a lot of revenue in for the various provinces and also suports a whole outfitting industry. I personally plan on driving up so I can keep all of the meat and plan to drop a moose as well. Anyway this thread was not started to debate killing "one of your sheep" it was started to get peoples input on the area in particular and the outfitter if anyone has an opinion on them. I could just as easily change my address to BC and hunt "one of my sheep". And I am paying you to hunt "one of your sheep" as there are taxes and royalties that are associated with hunting in BC as a non resident. Enough of the soap box, lets get the thread back on track with input on the Stone Mountain area in particular.

01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Duallie .....

If He lives in Saskatchewan now ........ he likely doesn't qualify for BC residence then ........ hum ???? Isn't that what Took Shockey out of his Sheep hunt ?

I'll go get some Popcorn and see what happens .......... If your being guided though through a reputable Guide ....... no need to qualify though ... just saying just saying ....

Ready - set - go ......

CT

Gateholio
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Guys, start another thread if you want to bicker.

Roughneck, you would be in good hands with SMS. Probably can't do better.

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Not sure whats wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat is not wasted, brings a lot of revenue in for the various provinces and also suports a whole outfitting industry. I personally plan on driving up so I can keep all of the meat and plan to drop a moose as well. Anyway this thread was not started to debate killing "one of your sheep" it was started to get peoples input on the area in particular and the outfitter if anyone has an opinion on them. I could just as easily change my address to BC and hunt "one of my sheep". And I am paying you to hunt "one of your sheep" as there are taxes and royalties that are associated with hunting in BC as a non resident. Enough of the soap box, lets get the thread back on track with input on the Stone Mountain area in particular.

My grudge isn't with you and you really are welcome, if you're lucky to get one.
My disbeliefs are all to do about the politics that go into allocations.

FWIW, I too am a trophy hunter....

Sorry for the confusions. :smile:

Roughneck Country
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Mr Dean

The outfitter allocations for sheep, in particular areas where residents have to draw has always been a hotly debated topic. Not sure about BC but in AB I believe resident success when self guided is something like 3%, most Rams are taken by outfitters. I think they could likly increase the number of limited entry tags for residents and not likly see a very large increase in harvest.

Thanks for the input Gatehouse

GoatGuy
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
From what I hear they run a good camp.

My biased opinion would be Collingwoods, Lancaster (kawdy) or Williams (golden bear). All good guys with lots of experience.

Proguide66 has worked for SMS, he might be able to help you.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Good area and there are neighbouring outfits who treat residents a lot worse.
You have our blessing with SMS:wink:.

Duallie-Northern rockies lodge only does transport charters. Not a good suggestion for this gentleman.

SSS

01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
SMS is an excellent outfit. I don't know much about the owner, but I am good friends with one of his top sheep guides. There are lots of sheep in the area, and their success rate is very high. I'm sure they will treat you very well and you will have a great hunt.

Be sure to post pictures after your hunt!

Rodd
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Know the Area well, and its hard to beat... Good Choice in area IMO.. Good Luck!

vip_ruger
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I have two friends that guide for scoop lake and the run a very good camp as well and u don't have to fight against local guys as much or at all just saying I'm sure stone mountain will do well for u as well . But if it were me I would try to get into an area like scoop due to the high density of rams and sheep
i wish u luck

BlacktailStalker
01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
My buddys GF's parents own it, I'm sure he'd say it's a good gig lol

BCrams
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Can't go wrong with Stone Mountain Safari's. I also noted you saved for years for what appears to be your "one" chance for a Stone's ram. Collingwoods in Spatsizi runs a great operation with high odds of success on very good rams going 8 for 8 pretty much every year on excellent rams. Thumbs up to Kawdy and Goldenbear as mentioned by Goatguy too.

bcyukonair
01-14-2013, 07:09 PM
bradford & co 250 771 3055 good sheep family owned 60 plus years.

01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Been in the area a number of times and it is good Stone sheep area ........ yes there may be better area's but there is far worse too. As for SMS and their services, for the price your paying you better get one. It's worth doing a ton of research on before sending a deposit for sure. A few good outfits out there.

Good luck to you.

CT

40incher
01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Spatsizi (Collingwoods) or Kawdy (Stan Lancaster) would be my bet! Region 7 is high volume and low success at this time. If this is a one time hunt you should look to the opposite of that. Look high success and know why that is!!

Low pressure and a chance at an exceptional ram in any given year. Not high density in sheep numbers, but worth the try.

You may have to book two years ahead, but that tells you more than anyone can say!!

boxhitch
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
40 , what do you consider high success ?
Not picking here , but where do you get the idea some g/os are still booked out for two years in this day ?
I know a couple of premier areas that filled just before last season.

40incher
01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Pretty well 90% to 95% success over 20 years would be as good as one could get. 80% to 90% on 9.5+ year-old rams would also be a good clue. I could be off by 5% but would challenge any guide/outfitter in B.C. to match that.

I would also very much doubt if you can still book a Spatsizi ram for 2013.

As a non-resident hunter (if I was one) I would pay much attention to success on old rams.

proguide66
01-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Just looking at booking a Stone sheep hunt and am leaning towards Stone Mountain Safairs. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on them or their area. He seems to have a lot of allocations and darker rams. I just want a nice representitive species not looking for the next book ram.

I am a non resident and can likly only do this trip once as it took years to save for the trip. Just want to be sure I would be getting my best odds for a ram. I know there are several other outfits out there that offer the hunt, but really there is only about half dozen that I think I would even concider.

Please let me know your opinions of the outfit as well as the area they are in. Thanks in advance!
You want a ram 'PM' me......

Roughneck Country
01-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the great reccomendations and info.

Just to reply to one of the above comments, I have called about a dozen of the top outfitters and almost everyone has room for this coming fall, there was only one that was booked and I think it was Big Nine if I remember correctly. Also almost all ready to deal once they know your serious about the trip which tells me things are slow.

From the general gist of things it sounds like SMF is a decent outfit, the area they are in has a high density of sheep, smaller rams than you can get on the west side of the divide but higher chance of success and generally better weather. The south and west side of the Stone range has bigger rams, lower densities (some pockets of high density) is more subject to bad weather.

BCrams - great looking sheep on you avitar.

MacMtnHunter
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
SMS and aside from Big Nine is probably your best bet. However, you never know what you are going to see when hunting the Northern Rockies. Not sure what you have looked at but here a a couple more outfits to check out that also produce some nice "representative" rams!
http://www.comehunt.com/?site=pelly&page=pelly_hunts
http://www.terminusmountain.com/
http://sikanniriver.com/index.htm
http://www.mvpoutfitters.com/
http://canadianmtnoutfitters.com/index.html

Most territories here are run by reputable outfitters. Worth calling some of these other guys a chatting them up if you aren't set on SMS. Good luck this coming season! Hope you bag a nice ram:)