PDA

View Full Version : Field dressing method for packing a deer out

fyffer
01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
So this is my first year hunting and a area I want to try to hunt is 7 km in to hunt in a legal spot. I got no problem packing a animal out. Just wondering I skin and quarter out in the bush. What is the best way to prove the sex.

BiG Boar
01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
leave a ball or nipple attached to a quarter. Also, leave 1 inch square of hide attached to each quarter.

pnbrock
01-14-2013, 08:13 AM
better to bring out whole besides its only 7 km.

allan
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
better to bring out whole besides its only 7 km.
I must be doing it wrong then, do you have any pictures of you packing a whole deer 7 km? 💪

fyffer
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks. Anyone have
some links to videos. That show leaving the male and female parts on.

Sitkaspruce
01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Google gutless method as well as do a search on here. Easy to do, no mess and a deer will take you 20-30 min. Also, if you do not already know how, learn to cape a deer as you just never know.....

Cheers

SS

fyffer
01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Just looked at the gutless method. I was wondering how do u keep fir attached to parts and or the penis. ?

warnniklz
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
I've recently become a fan of the gutless method. Depending on how far I have to pack the animal.

here's a quick glimpse of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

BiG Boar
01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Just looked at the gutless method. I was wondering how do u keep fir attached to parts and or the penis. ?

crazy glue!

Just kidding. They are already attached. Leave them that way. DO NOT CUT IT ALL OFF!!!!

ryanb
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
For a deer, elk or moose (assuming this is what you want to hunt) you need NEITHER the testicle, penis, or any hide. You need only that portion of the head which bears the antlers. Since I am assuming you want to pack the animals headgear out, this is all that you need. Go for the gutless method, lots of videos on the net detailing it. You can then debone the quarters for further weight saving if you wish.

Here is the direct quote from the hunting regulations, copy and pasted. I don't know why people struggle with the interpretation of this one (including the COs), it is pretty clear.

4Anyone who possesses or transports thecarcass or part of the carcass of the followinganimals must leave naturally attachedto the carcass or one part of the carcass inthe person’s possession the following listedparts:(1) For elk, moose, and deer:(a) If the animal is male, either(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.

ryanb
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Sorry, the formatting screwed up the quote, here it is again:

]
Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts:
1) For elk, moose, and deer:
a) If the animal is male
either
(i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide

[/SIZE]

not less than 6 cm2.

fyffer
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
thank you, for females ?

Philcott
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
This has been discussed before and email's sent back and forth to the ministry for clarification. Be aware that just having the head with antlers attached is NOT good enough for proof of sex.

The reg's state:

Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts:1) For elk, moose, and deer:
a) If the animal is male
either
(i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR

This part "must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass" means if you are bringing the antlers for proof of sex you should leave the head attached to one of the front quarters. It's much easier to leave "part" of the penis attached.

fyffer
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
so if that is try the gutless method is illegal then?

Ron.C
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
so if that is try the gutless method is illegal then?

no, just leave both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide attached. Very easily done

fyffer
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
ok, just need to find a video that shows the field dressing done with the penis attached or nipples for a doe

BiG Boar
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
ok, just need to find a video that shows the field dressing done with the penis attached or nipples for a doe

Why? Will you have trouble locating the penis? You don't need a video. Just leave it attached!!!

Sitkaspruce
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Skin out the nut sack and leave it attached to the hind quarter by the fatty contective tissue. Once you do it, you will see how easy it is. Forget about the dick, just worry about the nuts. Also leave a patch of fur attached to the end of each quarter at the knee. The rest can be boned out and bagged for transportation.

Cheers

SS

krazy
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
This has been discussed before and email's sent back and forth to the ministry for clarification. Be aware that just having the head with antlers attached is NOT good enough for proof of sex.

The reg's state:

This part "must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass" means if you are bringing the antlers for proof of sex you should leave the head attached to one of the front quarters. It's much easier to leave "part" of the penis attached.

I don't know why I'm getting into this one again but .......

... it all depends on the definition of "part of the carcass". If the head can be defined as "part of the carcass", and I don't see any language in the regs that say it can't, then leaving the antlers attached to the head would satisfy the regs. Unless someone can show a written definition or clarification that prohibits the head from being defined as "part of the carcass" then that's my story and I'm sticking with it :)

ryanb
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Exactly, the co's or the ministry don' t get to make up their own definitions as they see fit. If its not defined then its what a reasonable person would define it as. I think any reasonable person would say the head, or skull is part of the carcass.

I would be willing to defend this in court. I'm not a fan of leaving hair and sexual organs attached to my deboned meat if I don't have to.

bigslim
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I bone out every mule deer I get using the gutless method, bring meat out in my pack. Never shot one big enough to mount so head removed at base of spine lower jaw removed.
Never had an issue with the CO's, have the pleasure of seeing them every trip.

ryanb
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
(b) If the animal is female, either
(i) that portion of the head which in males normally bears antlers, OR
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

Philcott
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
... it all depends on the definition of "part of the carcass". If the head can be defined as "part of the carcass", and I don't see any language in the regs that say it can't, then leaving the antlers attached to the head would satisfy the regs. Unless someone can show a written definition or clarification that prohibits the head from being defined as "part of the carcass" then that's my story and I'm sticking with it :)

Do as you wish that's your prerogative but there may come a day when you will have to defend yourself in court.

If you have a severed whitetail deer head with antlers and a deboned deer in your pickup and are stopped by the CO's and are asked about proof of sex how will you convince them that the deer is not a mule deer doe and this is not the third or fourth deboned deer you have brought out of the woods using the same head as proof of sex?

It's simple to comply with leaving proof of sex on one quarter and doesn't effect the quality of the meat.

Why open yourself up to having to defend yourself in court?

krazy
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Do as you wish that's your prerogative but there may come a day when you will have to defend yourself in court.

If you have a severed whitetail deer head with antlers and a deboned deer in your pickup and are stopped by the CO's and are asked about proof of sex how will you convince them that the deer is not a mule deer doe and this is not the third or fourth deboned deer you have brought out of the woods using the same head as proof of sex?

It's simple to comply with leaving proof of sex on one quarter and doesn't effect the quality of the meat.

Why open yourself up to having to defend yourself in court?

Because I'm confident in my ability to read and understand that the law allows me to do so and therefore choose to leave as much unusable parts of the animal in the bush. The regs are clear that for a buck antlers attached to one part of the carcass is all that is required for proof of sex. Might I one day run into a CO that interprets this differently? Maybe, but that still doesn't make it wrong and, on the slight chance that does happen, I am confident that without a definition prohibiting the head being defined as "part of the carcass" that the court would find my interpretation reasonable. If others are not as confident then by all means pack out hair, balls, penis, tails and/or whatever else you need to feel comfortable that you are in compliance.

hunter1993ap
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
demand a dna test from the skull and the meat, should be able to be proven if it ever goes to court.

fyffer
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
For a doe could I keep the whole head as proof. For a buck just the antlers.

huntcoop
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
May I suggest reading the regs and coming up with your own interpretation.

reach
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
May I suggest reading the regs and coming up with your own interpretation.
I wish they would just include a definition of "carcass" so we wouldn't all have to guess.

moosinaround
01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
For a doe could I keep the whole head as proof. For a buck just the antlers.
For a female animal I would leave a piece of the teet on, and for a male animal I would leave a nut on it! Way lighter!!!

dragonslayer
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I also take a part of the penis and jewels for males, and the teats for females, but some times it is very hard chewing through them

Surrey Boy
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I also take a part of the penis and jewels for males, and the teats for females, but some times it is very hard chewing through them

Chinese medicine?

Gateholio
01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
If you do the gutless method, be sure to leave the evidence of sex on. It is less hassle than going to court. You may win, but is it worth it over a couple of ounces of balls? ;)

Hillbros_96
01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
If you do the gutless method, be sure to leave the evidence of sex on. It is less hassle than going to court. You may win, but is it worth it over a couple of ounces of balls? ;)

The lack of balls are not worth the hassle in my opinion when stopped. Coming from Alberta we needed them no matter what, so I just kept them on here as well.

greenhorn
01-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Hunting is so complicated - here is what I do

I take a picture of the animal after it's downed, I make sure that I take the picture so that the balls, my face, and my hunting license are all in the same frame. You have to to take a close up to make sure the text on your license is visible, so get your face really close to the balls, hold the license up beside the balls, don't forget to to smile, then take a photo.... Then take a photo of you dressing the animal but leaving one ball on one of the hinds, then take a photo of you putting the hind in your pack....

If you do this and a CO stops you, you'll have photo evidence of sex, and the fact that it was you who shot the deer and not someone else.

The Dude
01-15-2013, 11:47 PM
This thread's getting weird......

Philcott
01-16-2013, 07:24 AM
I wish they would just include a definition of "carcass" so we wouldn't all have to guess.

I have sent an email in to the minister requesting a definition of "carcass". I am hoping somewhere there is a properly worded definition and that I don't just get back someone's idea on what a carcass is. We'll see.

I just don't understand why it seems so hard to leave a nut or teat on.

krazy
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I have sent an email in to the minister requesting a definition of "carcass". I am hoping somewhere there is a properly worded definition and that I don't just get back someone's idea on what a carcass is. We'll see.

I just don't understand why it seems so hard to leave a nut or teat on.

I don't think the definition of carcass is the problem ... the clarification that is needed is whether or not the head is or isn't "one part of the carcass". I too am curious to see if the answer you get back is actual (written) language or just "one man's opinion" .... given the fact that it is not in the regs my money is on the latter that it is anywhere else but I guess we'll find out.

Gateholio
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
The CO that issued me a warning ticket for not leaving the nuts on was pretty clear about how the CO's interpret the definition of carcass. Said very clearly- if you leave the animal whole, antlers is enough. If you cut it up, leave evidence of sex on it.

pnbrock
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
ok i have to confess i use the gutless method i don't carry them whole!!!

Philcott
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't think the definition of carcass is the problem ... the clarification that is needed is whether or not the head is or isn't "one part of the carcass". I too am curious to see if the answer you get back is actual (written) language or just "one man's opinion" .... given the fact that it is not in the regs my money is on the latter that it is anywhere else but I guess we'll find out.

You're right about needing clarification. Hopefully I get a reply and it's clear. I'll post up what ever I get back.

krazy
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
The CO that issued me a warning ticket for not leaving the nuts on was pretty clear about how the CO's interpret the definition of carcass. Said very clearly- if you leave the animal whole, antlers is enough. If you cut it up, leave evidence of sex on it.

And I have been checked with the head detached and no sex on the rest of the carcass with no issues. Only the language, or lack of it, will tell the tale.

Gateholio
01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I personally think that you could argue in court that the head is pat of the carcass and there is no requirement for sex to be left attached. I just can't be bothered with it, and would rather leave it on than try to recover a seized animal and fight a fine.

r106
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I personally think that you could argue in court that the head is pat of the carcass and there is no requirement for sex to be left attached. I just can't be bothered with it, and would rather leave it on than try to recover a seized animal and fight a fine.

Exactly. it's so easy to just leave a ball attached.

r106
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Hunting is so complicated - here is what I do

I take a picture of the animal after it's downed, I make sure that I take the picture so that the balls, my face, and my hunting license are all in the same frame. You have to to take a close up to make sure the text on your license is visible, so get your face really close to the balls, hold the license up beside the balls, don't forget to to smile, then take a photo.... Then take a photo of you dressing the animal but leaving one ball on one of the hinds, then take a photo of you putting the hind in your pack....

If you do this and a CO stops you, you'll have photo evidence of sex, and the fact that it was you who shot the deer and not someone else.

You do all this specifically for the CO's?? May I suggest a copy of that days news paper to confirm the date.

Hunting is not that complicated. If it's a whole deer just leave the head attached and/or balls/tit. If it's quartered leave a ball/tit attached. It's so simple