PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows - What do you shoot? Any recommendations?

Midland
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Hey all,
Been having some issues with my shoulder and holding back my bow is becoming a problem.

Looking for advice and info regarding how to choose what type of cross bow to purchase. Cam'd? Not cam'd. Brand? Etc....

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Midland

IronNoggin
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Exactly the same reason I picked up the crossbow a few years back now.

Personally I prefer Excalibur's line-up. Canadian made, simple design, ability to change strings right in the field, and well-proven Performance!

Started with an Ibex, and took a few deer with it. Traded up to their then Magnum bow, an Exomax. took another handful of deer with that this season. Both were Incredibly Accurate! As in do NOT shoot at the same bullseye when practicing, regardless of range!

After this season wound down, Excalibur came out with the new Matrix line. Smaller frame, yet more powerful and faster than the Exomax! So, a Good Buddy inherited that one, and I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Matrix 380...

Here's a link to their bows (left side of page): http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

Can't go wrong with any of them methinks! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

ianwuzhere
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
i have an excaliber ibex- has been great. simple/easy/ reliable.
Excaliber makes great stuff- many good models..

knockturnal
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
another vote for Excalibur

Bc Deer Hunter
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
x4 on Excalibur... Very nice x bows, used to own one and I can tell you they are VERY accurate :)

BCHoyt
01-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Excalibur gets my vote as well.. dont own one yet but its on my list of things to buy this year!

SPEYMAN
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Compare poundage to speed and cost. 150# compound 300 plus feet per second.Takes 250# bow to attain that speed.

Compound much less noise and limbs are shorter.

Do your research and you will find the tool to fit your needs.

sobirch
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I have a Parker Safari Magnum 175 lb, shoots at 343 fps. It is a compound, camo with scope. When I bought I researched a lot of different bows and felt this set up was that would work for me for the main reason that the limbs are shorter and as I like to still hunt that it would be easier to maneuver through the bush. I have since learned that is far more productive in seeing animals and killing opportunities to sit and ambush rather then to risk scaring the animals. I really like my crossbow and have no plans on buying another but when people ask me I tell them you cannot go wrong with Excalber. It is as simple as it can get, less parts equals less chance for malfunction or breakdown. You can change the strings in the field. There also seems to be more and stores/dealers carrying this product so any repairs or warranty would be quicker and less hassle then other brands, plus it is Canadian made. The only drawback I see is that they are a little pricey but if I ever had to buy another crossbow they would be my first choice. If you know people that own any brand of crossbow ask if you can watch them shoot it, maybe even let you shoot. If you can try a couple different brands or styles you may find something which really stands out in your mind

As SPEYMAN said, "Do your research and you will find the tool to fit your needs."
Good Luck and Good Hunting

IronNoggin
01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Just noticed you're from The Rock Midland. If you're not in a rush, I'll be shooting the new bow quite a bit when it arrives, as likely will my Partner that has my old Exomax. You are more than welcome to come along and try one or both out for "fit" when we are doing that.

Just a couple side-bars:

There are actually quite a few good bows being offered on the Excalibur Market Place section on their Forum (see link above). A few rather good deals as many have jumped on the Matrix bandwagon.

And, Canadian Tire in Port Alberni is a registered dealer. They have to order the bow, but beats having it shipped in from Onterrible by yourself...

Cheers,
Nog

rocksteady
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
When I bought my x-bow, about 10 years or more ago, there was very few on The market in Canada. Excalibur was just getting started and were very expensive. The other companies made terrible products (Barnett), but I found a hell of a deal on a 175# Horton on Ebay, brand new, to my door, complete kit , from the U.S. For less than half of what Excal wanted.

I am not sure if you can mail order them over the border anymore, but at that time I could.

Horton has a lifetime warranty on the main body, deck, etc and my father in law, with the same bow has had great customer service with Horton..

sobirch
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Well after spending over a half hour on excaliber site I think they are still too expensive, for my hunting budget anyway. I really thought they would drop in price when their sales increased and their name and reputation became more well known. If you can afford one go for it but if you are a first time user of crossbows a cheaper similar product may be a better purchase. You can always upgrade when you know you are addicted to the crossbow style of hunting.

jikjak
01-13-2013, 10:49 PM
does anyone here use a PSE TAC15i for hunting or a Scorpyd Ventilator?
if so, how do you like them?
ive been looking at those two lately and have been leaning towards the PSE.

tadpole
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, I have been archery hunting with Nog for a couple of years now and I can tell you that his Exomax Excalibur cross bow is cannon and so accurate it is simply amazing. Perfect crossbow for a blind, but if you intend to still hunt in a bush it is a bit awkward to carry wide bow like this. I personally use TenPoint stealth. It is a newer development with it's Extreme Limb Technology. It is 185 lb draw weight but only 12" wide when fully cocked and provide 325 FPS with 425 grain arrow. It comes with life time warranty as well. It is ultimate weapon for me but every one is different, so do your proper research first.

rocksteady
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
One little bit off food for thought here....

I only weigh about 150 lbs and can load my compound 175# Horton by hand no issues.

I have seen guys with the Excaliburs of 200 lb, wiht them being recurves, that can not cock them without using the cord/cable/hook thingy... What happens when you shoot at a critter and have to dig around in your pockets/pack to find your cocking device? Is there potential to lose the animal due to the time delay??

I can shoot, recock and fire another arrow in seconds flat...

Like I say, just food for thought...

Sofa King
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
op mentions his bad back and shoulder.
a crossbow is much heavier than a bow, would that not be harder carrying and holding up than a bow?
i know there's not the issue of holding at draw weight, but there's the heavier bow overall.

IronNoggin
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I can shoot, recock and fire another arrow in seconds flat...

Most common reaction to a crossbow arrow hit I've seen is the immediate Buck 'n Jump, followed by a frantic scrambling run. Regardless of capabilities (and I AIN'T questioning yours RockSteady!) I've always thought that for me anyway, there is realistically no possibility of a "follow-up" shot with a bow. Same experiences when I used to run a compound. Although I could reload and draw pretty damn quick, there was never an opportunity to do so unless the critter dropped very close (in which case no follow-up was necessary.

Given we get in damn tight, and do our utmost to ensure proper arrow placement, I am wondering just how often this would be a consideration?

a crossbow is much heavier than a bow, would that not be harder carrying and holding up than a bow?

Most of today's modern crossbows are quite light actually. Gone are the days of the 12 pound Monsters. For instance the new Matrix 380 weighs in less than 6 pounds, fully dressed. The Matrix 355 - 5.5 pounds. And the Exomax & Equinox (the "Cannons") at only 6.5 lbs. MUCH easier to handle than holding a decently powered compound at full draw (speaking from rather painful experience here). And, most today can be fitted with a sling just like a rifle, making carrying a reasonably simple task.

... I personally use TenPoint stealth. It is a newer development with it's Extreme Limb Technology. It is 185 lb draw weight but only 12" wide when fully cocked and provide 325 FPS with 425 grain arrow. It comes with life time warranty as well. It is ultimate weapon for me but every one is different, so do your proper research first.

Very good point Tad! I've well seen how damn accurate that bow of yours is in your hands! LETHAL! Methinks it boils down to a matter of personal fit / suitability to one's style of hunting. As mentioned previously, it's a good idea to get your mitts on as many varying types as possible. When the Right One comes along and fits you like a glove, you'll recognize that immediately methinks.

Oh, and btw Tad, the new Matrix is much narrower and shorter than the Exomax was. Methinks you'll be in for a pleasant surprise just how easily it will be slipping through the timber this coming fall! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

SPEYMAN
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Using a "cocking" devise will improve accurate shot groups by a large margin.A miss will allow for a second shot once in a while.

rocksteady
01-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I have shot lots both with and without a cocking aid and found no difference in accuracy..

300H&H
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I have been very happy with my Excalibur.
Out of "the box" I was shooting a 2" group at 20 yards and 5" at 50 yards.
With a little practice I got the groups tighter.

IronNoggin
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I have always used the Excalibur rope cocking aid. But then I've always selected bows so powerful I would have one hell of a tough time cocking them by hand. :wink:

Here's what you can expect out of an Excalibur once you've matched the arrows specifically to the bow and gain sufficient practice:

40 Yards, Field Points:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/40_yards.sized.jpg

40 Yards, Broadheads:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Broadhead_40_yards_2.sized.jpg

60 Yards, Field Points:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Robin_Hood_1.jpg

And that last is Exactly Why I NEVER shoot at the same bullseye any more!

Cheers,
Nog

01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Another 10 point fan here. Reliable, accurate and very slim profile......it came with specific instructions to shoot different bulleyes each shot for the exactly the same reasons mentioned.

tadpole
01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
And the beauty of my TenPoint Stealth is that I can also load it and unload it with my bare hands in a matter of seconds. It is a very useful feature indeed.

300H&H
01-16-2013, 12:50 AM
60 Yards, Field Points:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Robin_Hood_1.jpg

And that last is Exactly Why I NEVER shoot at the same bullseye any more!

Cheers,
Nog

Hahaha I have had a similar experience. Now my aiming points are different for every bolt.
Nice Robin Hood be sure to keep it and show all your friends your prowess with a crossbow.

IronNoggin
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice Robin Hood be sure to keep it and show all your friends your prowess with a crossbow.

It has found a prominent place of display in The Dungeon (aka my "Office"):

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Robin_Muley.jpg

Next to the arrow that blistered through this year's whitetail doe and buried in a tree which sits on top of the downstairs large screen:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/TV_Arrow.jpg

And the beauty of my TenPoint Stealth is that I can also load it and unload it with my bare hands in a matter of seconds. It is a very useful feature indeed.

And that's one thing you have All Over my bows! I strongly suspect the next one (260 lb bow) will not allow for that!! :?

Cheers,
Nog

Midland
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow, overwhelming response. Thanks everyone. Nog, I may take up that offer to shoot sometime.... Let's keep in touch!

IronNoggin
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
... Nog, I may take up that offer to shoot sometime.... Let's keep in touch!

Cool! I'll shoot you a PM when my new bow shows up and we make some plans to Play! Methinks you're in for some FUN!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

westcoastal
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I am just getting ready to buy my first crossbow,
I am pretty much set on the Excal Matrix. Thanks for all the advice.

tadpole
01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Perfect choice. Simplicity, extreme power and accuracy with compact body for easy stocking. Yeah... it is a cannon in a modest body.Good luck with it.

dragonslayer
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Wow, I am surprised by everyones opinion about the Excaliber, I personally shoot a Barnett Rhino, have it for about 8 years and have shot many animals with it , question why would any crosswbow be better? You can buy any crossbow on the market that does a very good job, if you have any idea what you are doing and it is sighted in , don't see a problem, also have 4 compounds and the reason I do not use them is also I have a shoulder injury that does not allow me to pull them back and hold.

John

dragonslayer
01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
I have shot lots both with and without a cocking aid and found no difference in accuracy..

Very true Rock

dragonslayer
01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Well after spending over a half hour on excaliber site I think they are still too expensive, for my hunting budget anyway. I really thought they would drop in price when their sales increased and their name and reputation became more well known. If you can afford one go for it but if you are a first time user of crossbows a cheaper similar product may be a better purchase. You can always upgrade when you know you are addicted to the crossbow style of hunting.

Yes you can, todays crossbows are very pricey and if you need the best go for it, but if you have not used one before start a little bit slower on spending , try one out if you have a buddy that has one before you buy, its not everyones cup of tea, plus the bolts are about $10.00 a pop with tips included.

John

IronNoggin
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Wow, I am surprised by everyones opinion about the Excaliber... question why would any crosswbow be better?

Ever shot or handled an Excalibur John?
"Better" is of course subjective. I went with Excalibur due to a host of reasons: Simplicity of Design, Ease of in-field maintenance, Good Performance & Reputation, Excellent Warranty, Damn Tough and Canadian Made. I've since well proven pretty well all of those (no warranty considerations, simply never had to) to myself, and couldn't be happier with their products. Pricey? Well, that's subjective as well. Always kind of leaned towards the Buy Once theory, and usually that means shelling out a little more to get the Best you can afford...

Not at all questioning your experiences Rock, but I have found the opposite to be true with the heavier poundage bows. When I was running an Ibex, I could (and did) cock it by hand. Experimented with that against the rope cocker many times, and found the slight variations in string placement in the trigger hooks (a not infrequent occurrence when cocking by hand) produced larger groups down range... for me anyway. Point is mute for me now, there is NO Way I'll ever be able to even consider that with a 260 pound bow!

Getting away with 10 dollar "bolts" sounds good to me! The custom jobs I shoot when outfitted with a decent broadhead run pretty much double that. And I'll be going with Luminoks in all my hunting arrows next year which will bump it up even higher! Between the Luminoks and the metal detector I just purchased, recovering them has become a focused mission unto itself!

Still waiting for as Tad put it, my "cannon in a modest body" to make it's way across Canada. The custom strings I had made for it will actually arrive before it does. And, the arrow maker is madly working with his own Matrix to develop the "Best" Hunting Arrow to launch from these Little Beasts. 50mm Nikon Scope and an HHA Optimizer will round out the package quite nicely methinks. Going to be a FUN spring and summer shooting targets with the new toy! And methinks this fall's entertainment with the new system is going to be something to right look forward to!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

lorneparker1
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Ever shot or handled an Excalibur John?
"Better" is of course subjective. I went with Excalibur due to a host of reasons: Simplicity of Design, Ease of in-field maintenance, Good Performance & Reputation, Excellent Warranty, Damn Tough and Canadian Made. I've since well proven pretty well all of those (no warranty considerations, simply never had to) to myself, and couldn't be happier with their products. Pricey? Well, that's subjective as well. Always kind of leaned towards the Buy Once theory, and usually that means shelling out a little more to get the Best you can afford...

Not at all questioning your experiences Rock, but I have found the opposite to be true with the heavier poundage bows. When I was running an Ibex, I could (and did) cock it by hand. Experimented with that against the rope cocker many times, and found the slight variations in string placement in the trigger hooks (a not infrequent occurrence when cocking by hand) produced larger groups down range... for me anyway. Point is mute for me now, there is NO Way I'll ever be able to even consider that with a 260 pound bow!

Getting away with 10 dollar "bolts" sounds good to me! The custom jobs I shoot when outfitted with a decent broadhead run pretty much double that. And I'll be going with Luminoks in all my hunting arrows next year which will bump it up even higher! Between the Luminoks and the metal detector I just purchased, recovering them has become a focused mission unto itself!

Still waiting for as Tad put it, my "cannon in a modest body" to make it's way across Canada. The custom strings I had made for it will actually arrive before it does. And, the arrow maker is madly working with his own Matrix to develop the "Best" Hunting Arrow to launch from these Little Beasts. 50mm Nikon Scope and an HHA Optimizer will round out the package quite nicely methinks. Going to be a FUN spring and summer shooting targets with the new toy! And methinks this fall's entertainment with the new system is going to be something to right look forward to!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Go shoot a yogi with it in the spring!

IronNoggin
01-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Go shoot a yogi with it in the spring!

That IS in the works... :twisted: