PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermist in the Okanogan

Sitkaspruce
12-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I will be travelling down to my sisters place in Rock Creek this christmas and am looking at getting my mulie mounted. I usually use Artistic out of Edmonton, but I will not be going there any time soon, so I am looking for someone good in the OK area. Friends of mine have used the guy just out of Vernon, not sure of his name though. Time is not an issue, up to a point that is. Also any contact #'s or cost would be good as well.

Thanks

Ken

MattB
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I think the guy out of Vernon is Niemeyer (not sure if that is spelled right?). You will see a sign just as you enter the outskirts of vernon, just after the race track.

12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
I use Niemeyers 250 545-4523, he is just out of Vernon but l don't know whether he is accepting any more clients. Actually, around the Vernon area there are a few taxidermists if you are looking in this particular region.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
From the mounts I've seen I would have no problem taking a deer to Diane @ Dawn til Dusk(Sorrento), Dean Titanich(Kelowna) or Harley White(Westbank). Turn around time is slower for Dean and Diane(approx 2 years or less). Dean's the cheapest. Harley and Diane are similar in cost but Harley's turn around time is about one year give or take a couple of months.

SSS

BCrams
12-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I got my buck back in 1 year from Diane - Dawn til Dusk. I was going to take my buck to Artistic but Dobson recommended Diane and she did a super job on the buck. Her turn around may take a little longer now as she has a little one.

Jagermeister
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I'll give Debbie Nelson a plug here. Her studio is Woodland Taxidermy and she is located south of Quesnel on Hwy 97. Her phone number is 250-747-1720. She does tall and small and feathers too. Check in and see her full grizzly mount. Debbie has done work for people all over NA.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
My mistake. Sounds like Diane @ Dawn til Dusk is faster than I thought.

SSS

Deaddog
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Hays Neimeyer (vernon)is more or less retired, if he does take something on you are looking at two years plus, does fantastic work though!

dave_fras
12-12-2006, 07:35 PM
dean does GREAT work.... but he is slow as hell.... it took almost 2 years for my last dieer... and my cousins deer has been over 2 years so far.... i had another buddy that went to him.... and dean told him if he pays an extra 100 it will be done sonner.... which i think is complete bull!.... i know im never ognna bring him my business again!

jjensen20
12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
dwayne at bear creek sports in kelowna does an awsome job if you tell him you need it for an occasion he will get'er done, but otherwise its about a year it comes to 535.00 after tax

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
dean does GREAT work.... but he is slow as hell.... it took almost 2 years for my last dieer... and my cousins deer has been over 2 years so far.... i had another buddy that went to him.... and dean told him if he pays an extra 100 it will be done sonner.... which i think is complete bull!.... i know im never ognna bring him my business again!

He needs to raise is prices so they match his quality of work. That why the lineups are so long.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Sitka, that awesome buck you got deserves to be done by Harley White. He has done 3 bucks for me, and I can honestly say each of them is an award winning mount. The detail he puts into each one is amazing. 250-768-5502.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/WhitetailMount2.jpg

boxhitch
12-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Hays Neimeyer (vernon)is more or less retired, if he does take something on you are looking at two years plus, does fantastic work though!
Thats what I figured, when I heard he had slowed down to only 5 days a week. Maybe saving some time for the new family G/O business ?? (rumour).

boxhitch
12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Just outside of Vernon are also the shops of Dwayne Schultz and Bernie Jager.

cowboy-up69
12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Theres a guy in Kaleden, he does AWESOME work. Hes in a wheel chair, and does anything from birds up too life sized buffalo. Charges about $575 to get any deer mounted. I thought it was pretty cheap, I havent checked out other prices for other guys?? Lame Bear Studios is the name of his company. He also does antler carving art work, and game cutting. Takes about 6 months for him to finish a mount. His phone # is 497-7141. Hes an awesome guy to get to know as well, got many stories, and hes pretty funny!!!! :D

rocksteady
12-13-2006, 09:32 AM
There was a guy, just out of Kamloops (Barnhartvale country, I think ) under teh name of True Life Taxidermy. Not sure if they are still in business, I have not taken any work to them for 15 years, but back then they did an excellent job...

partsman
12-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Good thread, always nice to hear where the good ones are.

Plus we get to tell people to get stuffed!

Tuffcity
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
If you can get Neimeyer go with him! I have 2 of Hayes mounts and they are great.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/451sheep.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/blktail.jpg

dave_fras
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
i understand why dean takes so long....he still has his fixed rate.... but he is telling customers that if they pay extra they get it done before other ppl that had there mounts in months before.... which i think is bs

GoatGuy
12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Agreed 100% with SSS. All three are good but you'll get a big variance in rates. Dean probably the cheapest and Harley the most expense. Dean's also the longest and Harley will have the quickest turnaround time. Cost depends on the form - you'd be well off meeting these folks when you're down Ken.

Nooker77
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Hays in Vernon is the best!!! His African collection is unbeatable....hes done everything worth mounting for our family...there is no better!! But I do believe he is getting out of it as he cant find anyone to take it over!!

Rainwater
12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Bernie Jaeger from Vernon, Coldstream does great work.

ruttinbuck
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
There was a guy, just out of Kamloops (Barnhartvale country, I think ) under teh name of True Life Taxidermy. Not sure if they are still in business, I have not taken any work to them for 15 years, but back then they did an excellent job...
Dan Ettiger is his name took over from his dad when he passed on.RB

one-shot-wonder
12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
i understand why dean takes so long....he still has his fixed rate.... but he is telling customers that if they pay extra they get it done before other ppl that had there mounts in months before.... which i think is bs

Dean will be the first to tell you that if you are in a rush he doesn't want your business. He is looking for clients that expect the upmost in quality workmanship. If you just want a cape slapped on a forum and spray bombed than look else where.
I have seen Dean's work on almost ever big game species and I have seen alot of Harley's work as well. Most people know Harley's work is world class but I personally feel certain species Dean's work even surpasses Harley's.

I think telling customers if they want a rush job to pay more is justifiable.....Lot's of Customers take work to Titanich because of his price and price alone, and with the benefit of a cheaper rate comes a cost in long turn around time.
I personally take my work to Dean because of the quality not the price. I demand quality work so I am willing to wait longer for my work.

I will post pics of my ram if he ever gets it finished:lol: but I am not in a rush, If I wanted a quick turn around time I would have taken it to Harley White, but I would be pay though my :D ......

kleth2000
12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Have had a grizz,Goat and Stone Sheep done by Dan Vanzanten in Cranbrook.
His work is award winning.
Check out his site.
http://www.glaciermtntax.com/index.htm (http://www.glaciermtntax.com/index.htm)

Give him a call you won’t be disappointed.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-14-2006, 01:25 PM
With taxidermy, like other forms of artwork, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Like I said Dean does great work but what are his lineups going to be like in 10 years?? What was the wait 5 years ago??
He's a fool if he doesn't raise his prices as his work certainly merrits it. How long of a wait is too long
One-shot- At my age, the sooner I get my critters back the better:lol: . You never know when the "big one" will hit!
Harley may seem expensive but Odd Asland charges more for a sheep than Harley does and I know someone that wasn't happy with his ram from Asland. Harley has friends in the business that do comparable work to him and they charge $1000 for a sheep. At $825(or$850) his work seems like a steal!:smile:

SSS

kleth2000
12-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Forgot to mention In the spring of 2006 Dan earned both "FIRST PLACE" in the Professional Division, plus the "PEOPLE'S CHOICE" award for his cougar at the "WESTERN CANADIAN TAXIDERMY CHAMPIONSHIPS", in Kamloops, BC. He also placed a high-scoring "SECOND" with a mule deer buck

GoatGuy
12-14-2006, 02:14 PM
One-shot- At my age, the sooner I get my critters back the better:lol: . You never know when the "big one" will hit!

SSS

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

browningboy
12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Just PM high caliber, he'll help you out with what you're looking for.8)

Mckinney Creek Adventures
12-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Theres a guy in Kaleden, he does AWESOME work. Hes in a wheel chair, and does anything from birds up too life sized buffalo. Charges about $575 to get any deer mounted. I thought it was pretty cheap, I havent checked out other prices for other guys?? Lame Bear Studios is the name of his company. He also does antler carving art work, and game cutting. Takes about 6 months for him to finish a mount. His phone # is 497-7141. Hes an awesome guy to get to know as well, got many stories, and hes pretty funny!!!! :D

Hi Ken,

This fellows name is Barry Kilback. A good friend of mine and very good guy. I have a couple of owls done by him and he is doing my whitetail right now. Look us up when you are down and I will give you directions to his place near Kaleden if you are interested. Or he may be up at his cabin near home here. You have to ask to see his full mount cougar if you get there. It is incredible. If you pop into his shop, he always has lots on the go and on display. He is about an hour and 15mins from Rock Creek.

MCA