PDA

View Full Version : 12 Jan Duck Hunt

Ron.C
01-12-2013, 08:03 PM
I headed out this morning with high hopes that this cold snap would make for a good shoot. By the sounds of things, lots of guys got shooting, lots of ducks flying, but I think my setup was not so good, or in a poor spot.

About mid morning I moved my setup further out and within a few minutes got my first duck. I spent the rest of the morning throwing steel into the sky and watching birds fly away un-touched.

Early afternoon I started shooting better. I finished the day with three Widgeons, a couple green wing teal, a pintail "hen", and a bufflehead. I winged the one widgeon and it buggered off into some high marsh grass. After picking up my decoys at the end of the day, I went and looked again, and found him. At that point, my camera was tucked away, so I never got a picture of him.

Was a fun day

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/12_Jan_ducks.jpg

longshot
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Very nice birds! Definately lots of guys movin the birds around today. A thing that works for me, might not be the same for everyone, but I will tend to cut my decoy spread in half in this last race to the finish line of the season.. them birds are weary.. as long as your hide is A1, a couple deeks tends to do the trick on these wise ol' birds.

Looks like you've had a very successful first birding season! Congrats! :)

Longshot jr.

heyblast
01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Another nice mixed bag today, congratulations. Even better that you found the winged Baldpate, it's a good feeling to not lose any birds.

Dano
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice birds, you got to love a drakes plumage this time of year.
Great weather to spend a day in any marsh!
Dano

Sasqman
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Nice mix Ron!

Kudu
01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice ducks there Ron, seems like you had a blast!

Foxton Gundogs
01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Nice bag Ron beautiful ducks

kyleklassen
01-12-2013, 11:58 PM
the only bird there thats worth a shit is the pintail....and only because it's a hen....right foggy?

open-sights
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
was that you guys with the yellow canoe?

Ron.C
01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
was that you guys with the yellow canoe?

nope, I was by myself in a green oldtown canoe