PDA

View Full Version : Reg 2 Trophy Sign

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Well this season for Blacktails has left me empty handed.. Been out lots pre, early and late season only to turn up nothing worthy of the wall!! Biggest bein a 3x3 with brow tines but still a young buck! Lots of you might ask why didn't you take him? The answer is that between Steady and I we still have meat from the year before after our very succesful season! All wasn't a waste as I found some awesome new hidey holes and some real late wintering area. This area was trampled and browsed clean like they had been corraled, it was insane! The best part about this area was the rub I found! It has to be the biggest BT rub I've ever found! The ground at the base proved to me that it was indeed a BT as you could see his tracks where he was diggin in.Unfortunatly when the snow level retreated so did the the bulk of the deer. Even though I didn't get one I was rewarded with some sign of a biggun that should hopefully be around for a new season!

At the top of this pic. you can see where the tines scratched at 6 ft. nose level for me!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1793.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3868&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1677)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1792.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3867&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1677)

Heres looking downhill at the same rub!

Elkhound
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Trail cam in order in that area? Nice rub

Husky7mm
12-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I bet that deer has been rubbing that tree for a couple yrs now!

stixnstones
12-12-2006, 02:20 PM
thats not a bad little rub hey.lol.what mu were you in?

Will
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Some Good looking sign !
Keeps the fire burning for next year 8)

Greenhead
12-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey Tbone, had to show you one I find behind my place. Same area as last year but a new one from this fall! Already a t-cam in place but no sign of him. Hope he didn't get shot!

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey Tbone, had to show you one I find behind my place. Same area as last year but a new one from this fall! Already a t-cam in place but no sign of him. Hope he didn't get shot!

Probably between the loop rd. and upper rural property on the bench no?:wink:

Buddy hunted up there and found a deer but couldn't see any antlers.. He swore it was one, but by this time it decided to get hell outa there! To slow it only had one huge 3pt. antler.:cry:

mark
12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey T-bone, one quo for ya. You say from the base of the rub you can tell it was definately a BT. Whats the diff between mulie and BT tracks???? Size???

Elkhound
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
See now I read that and just assumed he meant that he could tell it was a blacktail and not an elk or something cause of the tracks. Cause here on the coast you can find HUGE rubs. Blacktail and elk in same habitat.:lol:

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey T-bone, one quo for ya. You say from the base of the rub you can tell it was definately a BT. Whats the diff between mulie and BT tracks???? Size???

Sorry I should have specified saying that it was not elk. But the tracks indicated at the base of the tree that it was indeed a buck!!! Being in region 2-2 that it would be a BT................I've never in my time seen mulies in this region! More likely to see BT in region 3.This is no where even close!

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
See now I read that and just assumed he meant that he could tell it was a blacktail and not an elk or something cause of the tracks. Cause here on the coast you can find HUGE rubs. Blacktail and elk in same habitat.:lol:

Thanks !!! Ya beat me to it!

mark
12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
oops, i didnt even consider elk as a possibility. makes much more sense now.

mark
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Hmm as as scrapings as high as 6 ft. Did you consider the poss. that an elk made the rub, and a curious blacky went and sniffed it or re-rubbed it a little. And that would explain the tracks!

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Actually if the deer moved slightly higher up on the slope that would give him a bit more reach! Also the bulk of the rub was a bit lower! Look at the pic. again! But trust me as there are some giants around some of my spots:) To bad a guy didn't have more time!

Definatly been cotimplating the T-cam. Would probably help to back up the story! Also ther are very few Elk around. Personally I've not seen them for 15 years..

browningboy
12-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey T, there was an elk that got hit on the hwy last year (3point) around Annis rd, they are far and few between, probly hang out on the states side more than anything but there must be the odd one around, probly end up getting lungworm around those parts? I know it doesn't have much to do with the original question, but there are elk around, just very ellusive.8)

Steeleco
12-12-2006, 07:39 PM
but there are elk around, just very ellusive.

That's about to change with the re-introduction of animals to the top end of Stave and Indian river systems.

Great pics T-bone, always gets the blood warm just finding things like that even without animals.

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey T, there was an elk that got hit on the hwy last year (3point) around Annis rd, they are far and few between, probly hang out on the states side more than anything but there must be the odd one around, probly end up getting lungworm around those parts? I know it doesn't have much to do with the original question, but there are elk around, just very ellusive.8)

Yup, true enough! The neighbor up here says 2 years ago that he looked out his window and to his surprise stood a 5 pt roosie!!!! Not to mention a spike that was seen by a co-worker running parallel too prest rd. in the middle of the day last fall. I also heard rumors bout the same spike in Canors Nursery!

lip_ripper00
12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
That's about to change with the re-introduction of animals to the top end of Stave and Indian river systems.

. and the upper Pitt8-)

Jetboater
12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
boys I have seen a whack of rubs like those on Sumas MTN as well and they are full blackie rubs. why constantly trash a guys photos??? Mark have you said a not confrontational comment this year??? like come on! granted there might be an elk in the 604 area code but it aint rubbin every tree a guy walks to. pretty soon all were gonna see is people holding animals way to far out from them and nothing interesting.

Sorry if I went off topic but come on. Just because we dont live on the rock doesnt mean theyre not blacktails.

High Caliber
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
That's ok T-Bone. we know it is a BT cuz I wacked it. You've seen the pics blacktail3113, they are in my gallery.

Hey browning boy! now you got my girl beside your name now! LOL

~T-BONE~
12-12-2006, 11:42 PM
That's ok T-Bone. we know it is a BT cuz I wacked it, they are in my gallery.

This dink!!!!... lmao.. Must be a hybrid ;-) Thats not the one I know about!:twisted:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2006_Black_Tail.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3891&size=big&cat=last7&limit=last7)

High Caliber
12-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Just buggin' ya buddy! aint no hybrid though. are you going to get out again before the end!

browningboy
12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks like high caliber had another good year, and yes I lost the whitey, but could high caliber stuff my new pic??:twisted: