PDA

View Full Version : Got a bow!

Tomanik2700
01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I decided on getting a bow for deer and smaller game wise. I have always been interested in traditional archery and so I went and got a Chek-Mate Falcon Special in 52# at 28". I'm a 31" draw so it works out to be about 58#. Bow is beautiful and I just shot a couple shots before it got dark and it feels amazing! I also got a traditional leather quiver and I'm just so excited to get into this magnificent timeless sport! Any tips for a newbie besides shoot until my shoulder falls off? :P

Cheers, T2

Sofa King
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
congrats.
welcome to bow-hunting.

also, shoot until your fingers bleed.

E.B.
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Awesome , i have the chekmate kings pawn and firebird and they are awesome bows. Enjoy and welcome to the addiction !

greybark
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Hey Tomanik , the Falcon is the most efficent of the Chek-Mate bows (fastest) . What is the length of your bow ?
First tip is not to shoot till your shoulder drops off . Take you time to enjoy your new passion , overdoing it can cause serious physical problems as well as developing bad form habits . Good form is any form that you are comfortable with and do consistantly .
If you wish give me a pm or ph 604 924 1493 regarding a shooting session , I know Stephane would also be interested . Am in Chilliwack.
Cheers and good luck in your new Adventure .

Tomanik2700
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
oooo im glad i got such a powerful bow. its a 60" i believe.

Tomanik2700
01-10-2013, 10:39 PM
and what type of range limitations am i going to experience hunting?

longstonec
01-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Thats personal. Hunting what? Can you hit an orange (didnt want to say apple) sized target at 10 or 25 or 60 yards? What arrows are you flinging?

hunter1993ap
01-10-2013, 10:49 PM

i would limit myself to 30 yards with a recurve on a deer, if i had practiced a lot. you have to make your own descision on this.

Tomanik2700
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
thanks everyone!

Bc Deer Hunter
01-11-2013, 12:09 AM
since it will be your first season, I would say within 15 yards.. 20 will be stretching it most likely, all depends on how good you get as others have stated. It is defiantly a lot harder than a compound. With that said congrats on your first bow, and you should consider going to some 3D shoots they are a great way to practice judging distance ect for hunting season!! (ps I would take greybark up on that offer in a heartbeat if I was in your shoes! ;) ) good luck

Stéphane
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Hey Tomanik , the Falcon is the most efficent of the Chek-Mate bows (fastest) . What is the length of your bow ?
First tip is not to shoot till your shoulder drops off . Take you time to enjoy your new passion , overdoing it can cause serious physical problems as well as developing bad form habits . Good form is any form that you are comfortable with and do consistantly .
If you wish give me a pm or ph 604 924 1493 regarding a shooting session , I know Stephane would also be interested . Am in Chilliwack.
Cheers and good luck in your new Adventure .
Congrats on your new bow. I love mine! I haven't used my compound at the club since I got that one. And I'm not even good at it.
Ken, the way I was shooting last night, no question I need some urgent guidance. I don't think I want to bring my recurve to the indoor next week. It's that embarrassing.

Onesock
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Give Greybark a call and make your learning curve alot smaller. In all reality if I were you I would limit my shots to 15 yds. Preferably 10yds would be better. It is not that tough to get within 10 yds of a deer. You just have to do your home work.

Tomanik2700
01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the great tips! I may give him a call to reduce the learning reCURVE. :P