PDA

View Full Version : Caribou,sheep and goat fly in areas for 2013

604redneck
01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi all i have never done a fly in trip other than while guiding and another hbc member and myself are trying to plan one where we can focus on sheep but have a decent chance at a caribou or another species such as goats. I am looking for a basic area to fly into and a good company to fly us in we will have a total of 12 days ish but would like 10 on the montain. Our trip will be planned for sept 10- 24ish.

anyone with any info or tips please pm me
thanks shane

25tikka
01-11-2013, 08:42 AM
North Pacific Seaplanes is a good place to start. Planes in Iskut and Dease lake. Can operate in and out of the parks as well. 250 627 1341 in the winter.

604redneck
01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the info I will check them out

leadpillproductions
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I was in same boat as u. There is a few guys willing to help out on this site . Pick a lake and try the search button on this site still lot of info here

Skull Hunter
01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
You might already know about this thread, but it's worth throwing out there all the same...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54311-Stone-s-sheep-hunting-locations&highlight=stone+sheep

I've tried contacting a few of the more prominent sheep hunters on this site to help with some planing for a sheep hunt and have had received very little response. Most of my questions have revolved around hunter pressure, ability to land on certain lakes, asking opinions on some spots I've searched out myself etc. I'm certainly not asking for any secret info or where sheep are, so I've been disappointed in that sense.

It seems, as far as combo hunts go Dease Lake is your best bet for a launching place. As for specific areas I can't help much as I'm in the same planning stage as you are. Good luck with it.

604redneck
01-16-2013, 11:25 PM
really not trying to get any kind of a spot that you go to. more or less just a starting area and an idea of the best place to fly out of....Ive put alot of miles on my boots and will continue that. And i have read just about every stone sheep thread and article i have been able to find.

budismyhorse
01-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Wade lake..... There I gave you an area. bc Yukon air.... That's a charter plane....

now are you happy?

Where is the fun in that?!

If people are quiet it's because they either don't want you in the area they know about (and hunt) or they don't know enough about other areas and would t want to steer you wrong......

dont be "disappointed" .... When you come across hard earned info we'll see how easy you give it up;)

604redneck
01-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Wade lake..... There I gave you an area. bc Yukon air.... That's a charter plane....

now are you happy?

Where is the fun in that?!

If people are quiet it's because they either don't want you in the area they know about (and hunt) or they don't know enough about other areas and would t want to steer you wrong......

dont be "disappointed" .... When you come across hard earned info we'll see how easy you give it up;)
thank u very much for the starting area....as for the hard earned info comment i have shared with many people in bc areas for large moose mule deer and white tails....i have no problem sharing info since i know i can harvest the animals i know about. I will trade a sheep area for almost any other species in bc(except bison caribou and sheep) once again thanks for the info

bighornbob
01-18-2013, 10:10 AM
thank u very much for the starting area....as for the hard earned info comment i have shared with many people in bc areas for large moose mule deer and white tails....i have no problem sharing info since i know i can harvest the animals i know about. I will trade a sheep area for almost any other species in bc(except bison caribou and sheep) once again thanks for the info

See thats the problem, its easy to trade deer info for sheep info as there are big mule, whitetail and moose all over the province as most guys have a few good spots to hunt deer. How many sheep areas are there??? How many guys have numerous spots that they call good ram areas? There are not that many sheep areas compared to other species in the province. And when you find a sheep area, it does not mean there is a legal ram in there every year. That is why most sheep guys keep their mouths shut.

If you are looking for a sheep area up north, start with the pilot and see what lakes he will fly into. No sence picking a small lake in the middle of nowhere to find out no pilot will risk his life landing there. Look in the BC record book, lots of sheep lakes listed in there. Some lakes you can shoot a ram that you spotted from the lake and others you have to hike 20km from the lake (as thats the only way into that sheep country) just to get to sheep country. Technically they are both sheep lakes. Lots of Lake info posted on this site, its just the specifics of each lake are withheld.

One thing I know for sure, I doubt you will get any info where someone says, fly into BOB lake, land at the south end, find the horse trail and follow it 5km. There you will find a small creek flowing in from the west. Follow the small creek about 2 km into the alpine and glass the ridge to the north, thats where I shot my ram and I know of another three rams to come off that ridge. If you do get this kind of info, I would be a bit leary as to how many other people know the same info. You may find your " newly secret spot" has 15 guys pounding the same spot for the first 15 days of the season.

Regardless of how many spots you know for big mule deer and big whitetail you are not going to get that kind info.

If you want sheep info, attend the Wild Sheep Society Banquet this year in Kelowna (March 15-16). You would be surprised what kind of info the bios give out in their talks and other sheep hunters there are full of info and may be willing to share some as they see you have made the effort to attend the banquet. Buying drinks also helps to loosen lips:):):)

See you at the banquet.

604redneck
01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info bhb especially the banquet and u will see me there. I don't expect exact info and I don't expect to get a sheep or even see one. I have just never hunted sheep and was just looking for starting tips. I know everyone says read all the other posts and I have done that along with bio reports online and other sheep articles.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info bhb especially the banquet and u will see me there. I don't expect exact info and I don't expect to get a sheep or even see one. I have just never hunted sheep and was just looking for starting tips. I know everyone says read all the other posts and I have done that along with bio reports online and other sheep articles.

It's a common expression in the sheep hunting world that the ram you harvest is born the year you first started hunting sheep.
Of course this isn't accurate as some people get "lucky" early in their sheep hunting careers (or hook up with the right people)...but the statement does hold some value.
Sheep hunting can be a looooong tough road but too most it's really all about the journey....and it will be all that sweeter when you hold your first set of horns in your hand.
Think of it as travelling across the country....you could jump in a plane and fly or you could drive. Flying would certainly be a lot faster but you wouldn't get the same sense of adventure as driving.

SSS