PDA

View Full Version : Head lamp

Danny
12-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Ok,I have 4 or 5 different head lamps and they all suck, does any one know of a good one that doesn't eat up batteries , only lights up 2' ahead of you or doesn't have a battery pack that you could jumpstart a truck with.
Christmas is coming and I think a new lamp would be something Santa could spring for, after all I've been a good boy all year8)
Any help would be great
Thanks
Dan

MB_Boy
12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
This is just from a recent discussion on here.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9019

SteadyGirl
12-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I have a black diamond headlamp, it ROCKS!! The four super bright LEDs light up the night sky thats for sure. It runs on three triple a batteries and the package information says during testing the headlamp was able to maintain brightness for 1500 hours. They are so small and light I just started the practice of t'aking mine on all outings into the bush., That is when someone else isn't 'borrowing' it:lol:

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/black_diamond_headlamps.htm

MB_Boy
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
It runs on three triple a batteries and the package information says during testing the headlamp was able to maintain brightness for 1500 hours.

Steady.......is that for 3 triple A batteries you get that kind of life or is that for the bulbs?

I am also looking for a lamp and I have an older Petzel I want to update.

SteadyGirl
12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I will have to look for the warranty again but I think the 1500 hour expectation is for the life of the batteries running constantly powering the four LEDs. I seem to remember reading that the LEDs almost never burn out.

bighornbob
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
All the modern LED lights with 2-3 AAA batteries will burn about 120 hours on the economy mode. The more lights you use (2, 3, or 4 bulbs) the less time you get. The 1500 hours is the life of the LED's.

Regardless of the life of the batteries 60 hours or 120 hours, you will never use that on a 2 or 3 week hunt. I always replace my batteries before the start of the season and before any major trip.

BHB

Danny
12-12-2006, 12:35 PM
hey steady
What black diamond do you have

Gun Dog
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I have an old school Petzl micro -- focusable beam, tiltable, takes 2 AA batteries, sort of waterproof, built in spare bulb.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/images/Petzlmicro.jpg

An LED has a life of 100,000+ hours, not 1,500.

Danny
12-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Sorry about dragging everyone down the same path again, i didn't see the other post on this subject:oops:
Dan

RBH
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a Tikka Plus, which is $33 at Mtn. Equipment Coop (vs $49 at Coast Mtn. Sports.) Four LED lights. Has three settings (high/med/low). Uses 3 AAA batteries, which are quite reasonable at Costco (20 for $20). Great headlamp -- small, light, bright.

Fisher-Dude
12-15-2006, 09:51 PM
I bought a cheapo Power Fist one at Princess Auto, has 3 LED brightness settings and one conventional bulb. It tilts and runs on 3 AAAs. I've used it lots for about 8 months and haven't had to replace the batteries yet. Seems to work like a hot damn for $8.88, however if I'm going on a remote trip I'll consider something better. Great for knuckle busting around the house and yard though, and will be great for late night fishin' trips.

Hunter4life
12-15-2006, 10:09 PM
I use a petzl tikka xp and it is very good, i especially like the wide angle lens that slides accross the light when you need a wide beam for up close lighting.

h4l