PDA

View Full Version : bison zone A

trapman
01-10-2013, 05:51 PM
While one more week and its up to pink mountain for my first bison Hunt . Any info would be great, haven't seen huch on here this year
Thanks

afors
01-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I was in Zone A last year, we got ours, I could give you some info i will pm my number...

Fincat
01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I am also heading to zone A next week for my first ever Bison Hunt. Maybe we'll see you up there Trapman! Good luck on your hunt and if anybody has some info it would be appreciated!

trapman
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi Fincat not heading up till the 20 th ,hope to see you there we will be in a grey dodge or on yamaha phazers .Have a great hunt

One Shot
01-11-2013, 12:38 AM
I was there in Nov. We can meet for coffee if you want. I am up here in Surrey. I also saved the tracks from my garmin for the area.

mudbud
01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Hey guys, was up for the first week of January and got my bull. Will be in the 16th for another week for a friends hunt, see you there. Any questions feel free to PM me, we know the area pretty well.

humble hunter
01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Anybody going to be up there still around the 24th for the last week. I love it when buddies jam on you at the last minute after planning a hunt for a long time. I could have returned the tag but no, after new years they all pull the poor card even after I said I was paying all the fuel. I am really pulling the guilt on them now but it is not looking good. Aargh! Debating to take off to the sun for a couple of weeks or just head up alone for the experience and hope to meet up with others. Anybody done this alone?

slovakien_12
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I ll go with you if you cant find anyone else. It is hard to hunt alone especially trying to pack out a 1000lb animal all by yourself.

mudbud
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Alone is not a good idea up there in my opinion. It can be a pretty unforgiving hunt at times. I would offer to help but am back to work on the 23rd

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Anybody going to be up there still around the 24th for the last week. I love it when buddies jam on you at the last minute after planning a hunt for a long time. I could have returned the tag but no, after new years they all pull the poor card even after I said I was paying all the fuel. I am really pulling the guilt on them now but it is not looking good. Aargh! Debating to take off to the sun for a couple of weeks or just head up alone for the experience and hope to meet up with others. Anybody done this alone?

if I'm not working i can help you out ...have a sled and a skimmer and know the area good .... i use to live up there and now I'm working in the area zone a

The Dude
01-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Don't hunt with HUMBLE HUNTER! His farts smell like he eats road killed skunks and he'll tell lies about the Dude all day long.
Plus he'll show up on time, pay more than his share, do his share of the work, and bring top-notch equipment.
Oh, the Horror! The Horror!

trapman
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Humble Hunter we will be up there on the 22,staying at sasquatch inn ,and leaving the trailer and sleds at the blueberry .PM me if you like ,Always time to help a fellow hunter

Fincat
01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
We"ll be up there on Sunday the 20th if all goes well and staying at pink mountian ranch. I'll be in a grey gmc pickup or on a polaris sled.

humble hunter
01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
thanks guys, I will have made a plan by the end of the weekend. Going out sledding with the boys tommorow for one last chat about what gear is allocated. I had not booked any accommodation as one of my buddies has a winter toy hauler ... of course he is one of the jammers. The cost of dragging that up alone is more than just staying at a ranch. What a mess but that's what happens when you only hunt with a chosen few. The ones that are stationed in this country are not going to be getting any invites to hunt my property in the caribou ..only the trail cam pics. The rest of my buddies don't hunt but are avid sledders. They don"t get it.

GoatGuy
01-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Buddy was in on a bull last week, said they saw lots of bison. Start and the cabins and work your way back. Do some glassing on the way and take snowshoes, he said it was tough slogging off the trail.

Mugger
01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
God, you guys are getting me all wound up, all I need is the god dam tag. Good luck to you all. You bet sounds like a couple of good groups are going up and will be watching out for each other. These hunts can not be taken for granted in these cold conditions. We will be sitting by the fire place waiting to here your successful stories. Living the dream.

Ride Red
01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I've put in every year since it opened up and haven't been the lucky recipient yet. Good luck on your hunt guys and be safe.

Fincat
01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Did your Buddy say how much snow there was?

Buddy was in on a bull last week, said they saw lots of bison. Start and the cabins and work your way back. Do some glassing on the way and take snowshoes, he said it was tough slogging off the trail.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
there is a lot of snow!!!!

CaribooBC
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
We were there the first week of December. We stayed at the Horse Camp, there were lots of Bison all around the camp. They were in the meadows, the timber and up on the hills. I did not expect to see so many animals. We got ours on the 6th. We were about 3km past the camp. It was cold, -36c on morning but most mornings were around -25c. There was about 2-2.5' of snow then.

GoatGuy
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Did your Buddy say how much snow there was?

He said they could only walk 100 yards then take a break.

trapman
01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
How much is a lot of snow and is there a crust yet. Does anyone know how far horse camp is in from blueberry
Thanks Glen

mudbud
01-12-2013, 05:11 PM
There is more then enough snow to sled around, I would say 2.5 feet average. It is definitely the lowest snowpack in the last 3-4 years. When sledding the river banks and swamps you need to be a little careful not to tag rocks and stumps. We did a kilometer long stalk on my bull, it was defiantly tiring, but in that snow I doubt hellslippers (snowshoes) would have been worth the bother. The bison are definitely scattered throughout the whole valley, we had 18 cows and calfs 500 yards from our wall tent on the south side of the river, and noted scattered Bison and recent kills all the way down the valley to where I got mine, which was about 45km past the ranch or so. Best advice I can give is to get up high and glass alot. We spotted a herd of 20 or so just by getting off the trail and getting up high. Watched 2 other large groups of hunters sled right past them. Depending on what sleds you take scratchers are definitely in order, the trail is like concrete, in fact some guys are running quads on the trail it is so hard.Can't help you with info regarding the ranch, we avoid it, and their extravagant fees like the plague!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
There is more then enough snow to sled around, I would say 2.5 feet average. It is definitely the lowest snowpack in the last 3-4 years. When sledding the river banks and swamps you need to be a little careful not to tag rocks and stumps. We did a kilometer long stalk on my bull, it was defiantly tiring, but in that snow I doubt hellslippers (snowshoes) would have been worth the bother. The bison are definitely scattered throughout the whole valley, we had 18 cows and calfs 500 yards from our wall tent on the south side of the river, and noted scattered Bison and recent kills all the way down the valley to where I got mine, which was about 45km past the ranch or so. Best advice I can give is to get up high and glass alot. We spotted a herd of 20 or so just by getting off the trail and getting up high. Watched 2 other large groups of hunters sled right past them. Depending on what sleds you take scratchers are definitely in order, the trail is like concrete, in fact some guys are running quads on the trail it is so hard.Can't help you with info regarding the ranch, we avoid it, and their extravagant fees like the plague!

lowest snow pack in the last 3-4 years??? did you forget about last year where there was no snow til the old trappers cabin? are you guys still crossing the river from the genesis?

Fincat
01-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Would be nice to have a little more snow at least enough to cover the stumps and debree. But I guess it is what it is!!! Man all the reports of see the bison is sure getting the adrenalin going , can hardly wait. Thanks for all the info about the snow and the sitings guys!

s0ylentgreen
01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
its very refreshing to see fellow hunters helping each other out - good stuff!!

would someone please help me with where the horse camp is? - gps coordinates or directions i could follow on google earth?
many thanks!!

CaribooBC
01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Horse Camp is about 24 kms in from Blueberry Ranch. Try these coordinates: 56.992805,-123.244095. from google earth.

CaribooBC
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
When we stayed at Horse Camp, we had a herd walk right through camp one night. There were lots of animals within 1 km from camp. The trick was getting a shot off before the herd spooked.

mudbud
01-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Yup, still coming in from the Genesis, makes for a long sled ride with the road not being plowed this year. Anybody have co-ordinates where the Blueberry gate is?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
mile 147 roughly 24-26 km remember there is a trail around the gate... and if you go to mile 156 "lily lake road" km 22 to the left gets you there too and you might shoot your buff on the road not much activity in that area with oil and gas "husky road"

Deadshot
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Sittin at Helge's place right now with a buffalo all packed up ready to go home.
Didn't pay the trespass fee & went around. Trail is in very good condition.
We saw buffalo down low & up high.
Didn't make it to the horse camp as we ended getting one up high just before it.
Once off the trail you're dealing with 18" of powder.
Accomodations at Helge's are pretty good for $300 flat rate.
Take a guy about 1.5 hours to get to the Horse camp from Helge's by way of the trail around.
Enjoy!

trapman
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
well just a few days left any new info would be great

Hammerhead
01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Lookin forward to it Trapman. Hope to meet some of the guys from here that will be up there at the same time and good luck to you and have a safe hunt. Should be a blast, Tuesday morning can't get here fast enough.
HH

just hunt
01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
It was -20 today , wind chill was around - 33 but its suppose warm up a little bit .my point is cover up , don't get frost bite.

Ry151
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Yup, still coming in from the Genesis, makes for a long sled ride with the road not being plowed this year. Anybody have co-ordinates where the Blueberry gate is?
First gate is 57 01.238 122 50.993 and last gate is 57 01.888 122 58.331

The Dude
01-20-2013, 11:21 PM
The gates are in Russia? That's a helluva ride to Horse Camp! Keep the damn Bison, HH :D

s0ylentgreen
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
lol
for google earth you gots to add a , and a -

57 01.238, -122 50.993

Fincat
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I did get my first Bison 6 days into the hunt. Was a great evperience and another thing out of the bucket list. I am hoping to do a sheep hunt next!!!

RiverOtter
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
That's awsome, hang some pics and a story.....

trapman
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
we made it back with one also ,met fincat shared a few stories (great guy ). will but up story and pics soon just trying to get caught up

RiverOtter
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Looking forward to it...

MFERGIE
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I was in there Jan 1-15th 2012, your lucky to have a good amount of snow up there this year! I was literally riding my sled on frozen dirt for 8 of the 10 days...I keep telling myself thats why we didn't get our bison lol! Can't wait to get in there again and give it another go, it's an awesome place. Keep your eyes peeled for Wolf and if your into it grab a lynx and wolverine tag, saw both up there and didn't have a tag...YUP...lesson learned! Good luck!!

Ian
10-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm headed up for the nov.1rst hunt in zone A. any info u can lend would be greatly appreciated !!
thanks

One Shot
10-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Got your PM. PM sent.