PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Non-Typical Velvet WT Pedestal Pics

Rackmastr
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Hey All,

Here are a few pics of a buck I just finished up with. My good friend shot this buck last year on the first day of the season in Alberta. Cool unicorn point and a weird non-typical side with a really nice typical side.

Super short hair, velvet was just barely starting to strip. He was a bit challenging to work with at times, but turned out great. This was my first pedestal mount, first velvet buck, and first major repair on a short-haired cape as he had some issues in caping it out. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the end result. Sitting on a nice black walnut base that I think matches quite nicely.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1872_zps6a2517fc.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1862_zps4903c5ee.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1889_zps41bb258b.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1877_zpsa7fbd5a6.jpg

Rackmastr
01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
One more to show the base....he looks good enough in the trophy room, its going to hurt to watch him leave!!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1898_zpsb7b6a105.jpg

Allen50
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
nice mount,, good job,, and the trophy looks good too,, good stuff,, thanks for sharing,,,

The Dude
01-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Wow, with that short hair he looks like a texas buck. Nice work on the mount, they way the hide follows the lines and wrinkles is nicely done.
I for one, though, find the throat patch area on some forms looks unnaturally angular. Does anyone else find that?

deer nut
01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
That is a cool buck and great mount

kennyj
01-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Cool buck! Great job on the mount.
kenny

dogger
01-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Awesome job on the mount.:-D

pnbrock
01-10-2013, 07:17 AM
very nice work ,very tidy on back of mount .looks like you take a great deal of pride in your work.

Brew
01-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Great work. It's one hell of a mount.

ace76
01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Very unique deer! pedastel mounts look so nice and it looks like you did an amazing job for your first one. What are your prices like and your location?

Rackmastr
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Very unique deer! pedastel mounts look so nice and it looks like you did an amazing job for your first one. What are your prices like and your location?

Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciated.

My prices are listed on the website, and I'm at Cranbrook. This one would obviously be a 'bit' different than others with some repairs, the fact its a pedestal, etc but feel free to toss me a line if you have something you're looking at in the future.

Brez
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Really nice job on a cool looking deer. Did you do the 4-point on the left? That's the most accurate face/head I've seen on an Alberta buck - at least the ones i've seen hunting.

Rackmastr
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Yep I did them all in the one picture except the small antelope, which was done years ago and needs to be re mounted! Thanks for the comments!

kayjayess
01-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Trev

Very nice job. Your work looks awesome. Look forward to seeing more of it in the future

Rodd
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Wow Good work Trev! I know who I'm going to see when I get my 180 WT... I love those early season capes, way better than the late ones personally. Have you done any Rams? I would like to see some. And I'll send my 2013 Bighorn down... lol Really like the detail, and the ears look amazing. Cheers!
Rodd

Rackmastr
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks Rodd,

I had a late season bighorn cape that was given to me that was in rough shape. Had been drug across the rocks and had some giant bald patches and just generally wasn't cared for. I was going to mount a found dead ram I've got for practice but the cape slipped and it wasn't useable. Would have been fun to mount but just wasn't taken care of properly before I had it given to me. My Aoudad ram should present some good practice for sheep. Now I need to kill a Stones ram this year so I have one to work on!! Heh

fester
01-10-2013, 11:41 AM
awesome!!!

d6dan
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Good job Trev...:-D

Walking Buffalo
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
It looks great!

An especially nice job on the eyes and ears.

Now get to work on an Elk. :)

Husky7mm
01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Very nice work and a pretty cool buck too!

sobirch
01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks very good as does your website. My favorite photo in the album has to be Kim's Muley, nice contrast with the snow and blue sky and she was framed perfectly between the antlers with no hands on animal, very good picture. Is there a story on here about that buck? Again nice job on your mounts.

ace76
01-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey rackmaster, did you ever know a man by the name of Reg Parsons from Cranbrook. He is or was (not sure if he still does taxidermy) another great artist from that area that has done some beautiful work for my dad who lives in Golden. I don't live in Golden anymore but still do lots of hunting up and down that valley for everything.

Jack Russell
01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
super nice job, especially with the short hair. Great details!

Rackmastr
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Looks very good as does your website. My favorite photo in the album has to be Kim's Muley, nice contrast with the snow and blue sky and she was framed perfectly between the antlers with no hands on animal, very good picture. Is there a story on here about that buck? Again nice job on your mounts.

That buck was Kim's (my wife) third mule deer hunt. We had scouted that buck earlier in October and then put him to bed the night before. In the morning we couldnt find him right away and she passed up a cool buck with one big typical side and the other had a weird non-typical side. Said she wanted to find 'this' buck. We ended up doing a cool stalk around some hills and found this guy bedded with 3 other bucks. A couple shots later and it was done!

The pic is one of my favorites...

Rackmastr
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Hey rackmaster, did you ever know a man by the name of Reg Parsons from Cranbrook. He is or was (not sure if he still does taxidermy) another great artist from that area that has done some beautiful work for my dad who lives in Golden. I don't live in Golden anymore but still do lots of hunting up and down that valley for everything.

I've heard the name, but only been in Cranbrook for a year now and havent met him. But do know people who have apprenticed under him and do some amazing work.