PDA

View Full Version : bighorn weight

mikek blacktail
12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
So I'm going to try hunting bighorns next year and I was wondering how much a full grown ram weighs (field dressed I mean),just wondering how much weight I'll have to pack out

Iron-Head
12-11-2006, 09:01 PM
As I have been told, "the Ram a sheep hunter will shoot, Is born the year he starts hunting Sheep",
Mabey you'll Luck out, If not you will have a few years of preperation.:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
You most likely won't be packing him out in "field dressed" conditions. Boned out will most likely be the case unless you're VERY lucky
Stone's sheep may go 200 lbs live weight-90-110lbs meat, cape and horns. Bighorns may vary more. Live weigh can be over 300lbs for a big ram. The horns alone may go 45lbs. Depending on the amount of meat loss you may be looking at 100-130lbs total. Just an educated guess.

SSS

mikek blacktail
12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks I wasn't planning on taking it out whole ,just the meat ,horns and cape .I'm probably not going to even see one as me and my hunting partner are greenhorns when it comes to sheep hunting but I like to be prepared and no what I'm in for on the odd chance we connect .

mikek blacktail
12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
that being said I have been told I've got lucky horse shoes. so here's hopin

Iron-Head
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Whut are you planning on hunting, I drew an Ashnola tag this year and wasnt able to fill it, But we sure did see allot of sheep, Just no shooters. But I tell yeh' the sights and the time spent in the higher elevations got me Hooked! I cant wait to see whut the 2007 LEH brings me, (if anything:lol:).

bighornbob
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I am not sure of the weight of my bighorn but the horns, cape and head (bucked off at the jaw and not skinned out) weighed 55 pounds. That is without any meat. Add to this you your day pack weight (spotter, tripod etc etc) plus the meat and most people will be making too trips.

If your are back packing and carrying a tent and sleeping bag and associated gear the weight will be a lot more.

BHB

BCrams
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
BHB - you got a bighorn ??

Pics to share with us sheep nuts ?? Thats the rule on here.

mikek blacktail
12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Whut are you planning on hunting, I drew an Ashnola tag this year and wasnt able to fill it, But we sure did see allot of sheep, Just no shooters. But I tell yeh' the sights and the time spent in the higher elevations got me Hooked! I cant wait to see whut the 2007 LEH brings me, (if anything:lol:).

region three thats all I got so far just because it's close and I 've seen sheep there so I guessi'll be hunting rockys or cali's does anyone no how you tell the differnce between the two do they look alot differn't from each other or is based on the area you shoot them.

bighornbob
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
You cant tell the difference between a cali and a rocky. Not in the field any way. Biologists say there are cranial differences but I think that is the only way you can tell. Not something the most experienced hunter could differeniate.

BCRAMs. Pics of my Rocky will come when I see some pics of some Mule deer:) Plus its not much of a ram as its my first call it beginners luck.

BHB

StoneChaser
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I've deboned 3 Stones rams VERY well (4 quarters, straps, tenderloins, and every last bit of neck meat, shank meat, and one side of the rib cage at minimum) leaving only the small amounts of bloodshot meat.

In all 3 instances, 60-75lbs of deboned meat was brought home, with another 30ish lbs of cape and horns (salted/dried capes weigh very little... unsalted are substantially heavier)...

The boiled skull and horns from my largest ram went just at 20lbs...

I'd add at least 1/3 as much again for a bighorn... putting SSS right on the money (120-140lbs).

StoneChaser

BCrams
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM
BCRAMs. Pics of my Rocky will come when I see some pics of some Mule deer:) Plus its not much of a ram as its my first call it beginners luck.

BHB

Mule Deer?? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else ... but everyone loves sheep photos.:)

bighornbob
12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Mule Deer?? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else ... but everyone loves sheep photos.:)

You are right everybody does like sheep photos so post some up:)

BHB

BCrams
12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Nothing to post yet. But you should post that bighorn for us sheep nuts :smile: to see.