PDA

View Full Version : Maui fishing charter recomendations?

keoke
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Going to Maui in april, has anyone used a charter in Maui? I have never been sport fishing for anything other than salmon on the salt water.

MB_Boy
01-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Keoke.....where you staying?

I will ask my buddies if they recall who it was out of Lahaina who provided a great day, leave harbour EARLY and slayed tuna, dorado etc way, way out there south of Lanai.

If you want a great option look at doing one of the overnighters......leave in the evening and you're way out on the grounds for first light, supposed to be a blast.

keoke
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
We are going to be staying in a condo by the grand wailea hotel.

Trophyslayer
01-09-2013, 09:51 PM
If I recall I used lucky strike in December 2 years ago and I sure wasn't lucky the captain was a bit of a dink too. Don't waste time on bottom fishing you just catch small tuna go for the Marlin and mahi mahi.

MB_Boy
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
We are going to be staying in a condo by the grand wailea hotel.

Do you want to go out of down there in Kihei or would you make the drive up to Lahaina?

Davey Crockett
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
My advice, go down to the harbour when the charters are coming in. The one with the most blood wins. Also, did you know that you don't necessarily get to keep your fish?

keoke
01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Ive read with most charters you get a piece of the pie, but what am I going to to with a whole mahi mahi or marlin? Not sure if we are renting a car or not but it maybe an option if it is for better service. I dont care if we dont catch a fish but they better damn well put in the effort to try.

01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
I went with Start Me Up out of Lahaina, I can't remember the captains name but he ran a 35 Blackfin and I would look for him again. We did an early trip and left he dock at 3 am as all the good fishing in Maui is a pretty long run, hottest fishing was in pre-dawn to a couple hours past and the rest of the day slowed down. Remember to take something for sea sickness before you go out so you don't ruin your trip, the waves come in big with little timing between them so its not like here and if you leave in the dark you will have no bearing. They sell the fish but we cut some fresh sushi from tuna on the boat and took home some nice fillets for the BBQ. They were honest and told us Marlin is not caught to often of Maui, but suggested that if that is what you want to hop over to Kona as it is a very short run to get into the Marlin and cheaper to charter also. Have fun.

GoodPartner
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
I used Lucky Strike also, and wouldn't do it again. It was a shared charter which meant that everyone had an equal randomized (number system) chance to fight the fish if one got on. So 1 chance in 8 with generally not a high frequency of strikes. I was told there is always a chance but far from guaranteed to get into fish. there were no strikes for the trip (half day). after trolling we went bottom fishing for little fish which everyone on the boat caught. fishing is always fun but I've been pretty spoiled with fishing here in BC. This kind of felt like catching little cod and perch off the floats when I was a kid. I'm always happy to be out on a boat so can't say I didn't enjoy the day...and my experience might have been drastically different if we hooked into a fish...and if I was lucky enough to "win" the chance to fight it ... Kind of neat to do something a little different and made me even more grateful for the fishing we have here in BC, but for a couple hundred bucks I couldn't help but feeling a little bit like a silly tourist.

moose2
01-10-2013, 03:37 AM
If you want some info talk to Mike on the web page Fish Maui. He has lots of knowledge on the Maui charters and can set you up with the right boat for what you are after. I went on the boat Action those guys work hard to get fish, and use gas about 6 hours out of 9 was running. I was on a shared boat and drew #6 out of 6 but I did get to reel in a nice mahi mahi. The boat got 9 that day. I was surprised to find out the captain did all the fishing. The deck hand would put out one rod with live bait on it then pass it to the captain on the bridge. The captain would troll or drift until he got a bite then he would set the hook, wind in a few yards and then pass the rod to the deck hand. The deck hand would make sure the fish was well hooked before passing it to one of us. While the chosen guy was winching in the fish the deck hand would put out another rod and pass it to the captain this cycle continued until the bite stopped and then we would run for another 40 minutes and try another spot. Then it finished with a couple hour marlin troll back to harbour. Fisherman would alternate every 15 minutes for this part. Of the half dozen activities we did in Maui this was my least favorite. I felt like I was there just to supply fuel so they could get some fish to sell. It had the tension and pressure of a commercial boat. The captain was even yelling at a client because he felt his fish fighting skills were not good enough for his boat. All that being said these guys did get us into some fish, I was just hoping to catch our own. I don't know if all the boats are like this you will have to do so homework. All our fish were caught in the first hour of day light so the boats that leave around 3:00am have the right idea. Our trip date was Dec, 09. My next marlin trip is being planned and I will be going to Panama on a 5 day charter. Hopefully I can get one, I am booking the boat on my own that way if we hit something good I am the one that will be fighting it.
Mike

Islandeer
01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Die Hard charters out of Lahiena, Fuzzy is the skipper. we left @ 2 am and caught 30 tuna and 5 Mahi mahi. He is the best, fast and action packed. 225 last season for a shared boat.

YAMMY-CA
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Good boats are 1000 plus a day-share if you want but make sure you have a die hard plan as to how you are going to rotate-things can get a bit scary out there if you are alone and the other 3 or 5 are friends-best to rotate after every 15 minutes and/or after a fish.
if you want Marlin go to Kona-i used to tournament fish Marlin out of there but look at 1500 plus for a boat.Sundowner a good boat if he is still there-a small 35 ft Bertrum but a hell of a boat--book a couple of days

Davey Crockett
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm leaving for Maui this Wednesday and instead of a traditional fishing charter this time, I'm booked for spearfishing. It is the best of both worlds, hunting and fishing at the same time.

02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Remember that with the current economy all prices are negotiable, think we paid $800 for the day for our own boat for four of us and a $200 tip for the crew. I liked that our boat was a team effort and we all rigged and worked lines by hand to help out. We caught 16 tuna, 7 or 8 dolphins, and a couple ono. Dont think I would enjoy some of the experiences mentioned as we like to be hands on, Patrick at Start Me Up I would recomend. Next trip I will be spear fishing for sure.

hfc
02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I just went out with LOCAL FISHING KNOWLEDGE. they are a kayak fishing charter.It was awesome. Went out of Makena beach park. caught a gray snapper 3 baracuda had a Mahi Mahi on but I lost it missed a strike from a sailfish. check out you tube captain JonJon. it was well worth it , best day of the whole vacation.

redthorn
03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Try Spearfish Maui. Best thing you will do while on the island. Jeremy, the owner, is a riot. we had a ton of fun out there. based out of lahaina.

Fella
03-16-2013, 08:13 PM
A friend of ours usually just goes to the docks early in the morning and tries to get a last minute trip with some locals. If you can handle yourself well and offer to put up some money for gas they'll usually be happy to have you along

rides bike to work
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
When I went two years ago I brought my rod and some gear and fish off the marina break water near Lahina and off the rocks south of jaws beach and off a kayak I rented near black rock I caught quite a few fish not sure what most of them were but kept a few of the bigger snappers for diner also fished off the beach in kiehe with some locals that have a cash tournament every Tuesday night one of the guys caught a 8 ft hammer head right where I was swimming earlier that day. That's the cool thing about Hawaii no limit no license just giver spears hooks what ever you want.

BCKID
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I just got back from Maui on sunday night. We used Start-me-up as well. Skipper was named Ukka (sp) We paid $200. each or $1000.00 for 6 if you are all the same party. We got our fish, 1 Mahi Mahi each. Just be sure to tell them you want all your fish. They sell the rest for extra $$. Don't bother with the short charters we were told. You need to be at the dock at 0230 and get out to the fish aggregating device (FAD) a man-made object used to attract ocean going pelagic fish such as marlin, tuna and mahi-mahi (dolphin fish). Worth the extra $$ Good fishing!!

6.5x55mm
03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Don't forget about hunting also. You can hunt deer and sheep on Lanai. Lanai Western Adventures with Cody Bradford. I highly recommend. $400 dollars a day plus kill fee.