PDA

View Full Version : Sky terrorists?

Kudu
01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FZdIrKyBk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

edgy
01-09-2013, 08:25 AM
wow, that is friggen awesome :) nothing like watching raptors in action. I am lucky to live in an area where bald eagles winter, and my house is on their flightpath to the fields they hunt, some days as many as a hundred eagles fly over my house at tree top level, they eat in the trees in my back yard, it's truly awesome. Last january, my brother and I watched two eagles hunt a swan in the field across from my house for over an hour before the swan got away :)

laredo318
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Really cool video.
Thanks for sharing.

Spy
01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
X2 very cool

Sasqman
01-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Wow!!!!! the slow-mo flyby head shots are Awesome!!

mungojeerie
02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Very very cool, love raptors!

Do many of you loose birds to predators? We've had 2 birds taken by bald eagles and one goose taken by a coyote. I think the goose musta fell right in its mouth because it took us less than 10 min to get to where it went down and all that was left was a blood bath, drag trail and a breastless carcass.

This year I almost lost one to an eagle, dropped on the far side of the field and did a flip flop white belly flashing and the eagle came swooping in to investigate, I was on the run to beat him to it!

I also lost a bird to Otters this year, dropped it on ice and decided I would leave it there until I dropped another as plowing through ice in a sit on top kayak is not super fun.... I saw the otters coming and thought up... there goes that duck. Ended up just pulling out the iphone and taking a video of them... they were more than happy for that tasty meal, but didnt like sharing it with each other!

labguy
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Very very cool, love raptors!

Do many of you loose birds to predators? We've had 2 birds taken by bald eagles and one goose taken by a coyote. I think the goose musta fell right in its mouth because it took us less than 10 min to get to where it went down and all that was left was a blood bath, drag trail and a breastless carcass.

This year I almost lost one to an eagle, dropped on the far side of the field and did a flip flop white belly flashing and the eagle came swooping in to investigate, I was on the run to beat him to it!

I also lost a bird to Otters this year, dropped it on ice and decided I would leave it there until I dropped another as plowing through ice in a sit on top kayak is not super fun.... I saw the otters coming and thought up... there goes that duck. Ended up just pulling out the iphone and taking a video of them... they were more than happy for that tasty meal, but didnt like sharing it with each other!

Not hunting but a couple years back at a field trial (retriever competition) near Comax there were a couple of bald eagles that had learned an interesting game.

When the dog was returning with a duck he'd picked up, they would swoop down and smack him on the head. The dog would drop the duck and take off, the eagle would pick up the duck and take off. Pretty traumatic for some of the dogs.

Some of the younger, less experienced dogs wouldn't retrieve a duck after that encounter until they had been retrained.

Haven't seen that before or since.

heyblast
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Lost three ducks to eagles and one to a mink.