PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes??

warnniklz
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Snowshoes are something I don't really know anything about... other than your height, weight and pack load are determining factors.

My g-parents suggested that they get me a set for my b-day. I figured I'd get tubbs or asolo or outbounds. But they're getting me some MSR Lightning Ascents with float tails.

According to the Mountain Safety Research sight, they're the dogs bollocks, bees knees, cats meow...

Think I'm set?

Rackmastr
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I just ordered a set of MSR Lightning Axis...got a good deal and used a GC on them so they were pretty affordable. Hoping they will work good for spring grizz hunting and the odd coyote/wolf hunting trip.

coach
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Yup - I think you're set. MSR makes a great product. You'll be happy!

Swamp mule
01-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Take a look at GV snowshoes. I've got the 10X36 Snow Aerolite version that I got through a previous co-worker in Houston, BC. "Back40canoe" his name is trevor. You caould also vist snowshoes canada for the GV varieties. I like the snowshoes that I have. raceht buckles and good backing. Easy to put on and take off under all snow conditions. Better than straps.

kootenaycarver
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Atlas Snowshoes are very good quality, you get what you pay for. If you have the bucks they certainly deserve a look. The best IMHO.

keoke
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
I got a great deal on a pair of atlas snow shoes during Boxing Day. Used them twice so far and am very pleased with them so far. I read reviews that he msr snow shoes are very loud if the snow is crusty.

slipshot56
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
You should check out Cabelas us. I was just down last week and picked up a pair of atlas shoes with cabelas logo on it for a max weight of 300lbs for ust over a hundred.

warnniklz
01-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I got a hook-up for the MSRs at wholsale pricing plus shipping... not wholsale sports pricing(eff those guys)

buck nash
01-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Nothing wrong with the MSR's thats for sure. Any snowshoe is loud on crusty snow. The MSR's may be a bit louder than others but they're all loud really. The float tails are a great feature too.

decker9
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Just picked up a pair of msr lightning axis, so far so good! I see msr has a shoe with step in crampons, so you can unclip the shoes and keep the crampones on, not sure if theyr new or not, might be worth a closer look.

lovemywinchester
01-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a pair of these Chinook trekkers in the biggest size 36. The green ones in the photo. They work great, very happy with them and they were only $90. Snowboard type bindings work great, would highly recommend them. I am 200 lbs so I got the big ones. I have learned when snowshoeing to get the biggest size you can. Light as well.

http://www.consignorsports.com/product/new-chinook-trekker-snowshoes

gamer
01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I picked up some Faber hybrid snowshoes this year. They sure are light and carry the load well. Not sure if I like the bindings though as it seems difficult to keep them square to my foot. Wood frame with a synthetic skin. Made in Quebec.

Mr. Dean
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Holy shit!!!
$$$ for these are all over the place.

I want a pair for emergency use only, to pack in my jeep.
Anyone got some real world advice on to what they should be?

Thx - Dean

warnniklz
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
MSRP on the lightning ascent 30" are $299.95 on their website.

After I get my snow shoes I'll be able to hike into some lakes to go ice fishing and get back to goat hunting.

Following upgrades will be in the following order

Tent
Pack
Rain Gear

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Atlas . is what i have . been good to me ..200 is what i think i paid for them years ago .

warnniklz
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
They showed up on this pleasant rainy day

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/318034_10152422230425387_1009854297_n.jpg

decker9
01-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Nyce! same as what i have i belive, gonna go try diggin up some coyotes this weekend with them i think, gets some miles on before i try tacklin the "goat country" lol. This warm weather shud pack the snow down a bit eh, should make for some better shoe'n!

calvin L
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I love my MSR shoes and I got them for grizzly hunting also . They have worked great every time I put them on . One of the best snow shoes makes out there .

warnniklz
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
I think I may head out on a trail just for the day this weekend... gotta get use to them.

And it's Hockey Night In Canada on saturday...

Mr. Dean
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I think I may head out on a trail just for the day this weekend... gotta get use to them.

And it's Hockey Night In Canada on saturday...

F the hockey.
Go hunting instead.

That's what highlite reels and the sports page are for.

warnniklz
01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
F the hockey.
Go hunting instead.

That's what highlite reels and the sports page are for.

I'll take the pea shooter as well... never know when you may see a puppy

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Yup good call on the msr lighening ascents, got some for xmas from the wife this year. The REASON the MSR are better than all the others is the tooth thin edged frames. Any round tube frame snowshoe can act like a ski and send you flailing on your ass whenever you side hill or descend a mountain, ascend in icy conditions etc. Good way to get hurt!

warnniklz
01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm going to maybe head out to 6-15 near pine lakes in the morning for their maiden voyage

ufishifish2
01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
I have tried all brands of snowshoes over the years and I'd have to say that the MSR's are likely the best I have ever owned. The straps don't freeze up, although you have to take your gloves off to get them to work. They are super durable. I wear them five days/week and put on tonnes of tough miles in the bush. No issues yet and I am on my third winter with my original set. I did bend one a bit on year one when I stepped on it with the other foot, but it's minor and hasn't seemed to matter.
One of the nicest features is the bars instead of a tube design. They really cut and lock into the hardened snow when on steep terrain instead of sliding like the crappy tube designed cheaper ones.
The biggest downfall is the 30 inch max size. I weigh 200Lbs and could use 36 inchers for the early season light snow if they offered them. I didn't know you could add tails to the back. I wonder how well that will work out?!?!?

REMINGTON JIM
01-26-2013, 12:54 AM
We have and use TUBBS - good shoe for the price if you can get them on sale at Crappy tire ! :) RJ

SUAFOYT
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Yup good call on the msr lighening ascents, got some for xmas from the wife this year. The REASON the MSR are better than all the others is the tooth thin edged frames. Any round tube frame snowshoe can act like a ski and send you flailing on your ass whenever you side hill or descend a mountain, ascend in icy conditions etc. Good way to get hurt!

Absolutely. We both have the MSR Denali classic. I have the tails for mine .Work great. Best non slip or skid ones compared to other brands. Another good feature is that they'll stack flat for the most part so you can back pack them easier. Look on amazon for used ones. We got a good deal on a spare set in Texas. Texas?!? Snow there for snowshoeing? Probably why they got rid of them. Guess he thought they were for water skiing:-D

Rackmastr
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I did some reading, looking around online, etc and ended up with a pair of 25" MSR Lightning Axis. I took them out for a quick hike the other day and was AMAZED at how much I'd been missing without owning a pair before. I almost felt stupid for spending so many days hiking in the snow without them.

So far so good! Main reason I purchased them was for spring grizz hunting, but now I'm just plain happy I bought a pair for all around winter use!

wildcatter
01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
I own a pair of Faber hybrids and I climbed mountains and really steep hills with them, that they were totally not designed for.
What I like about them is if the snow conditions are right you can slide almost like skiing down a steep hill, going up sometime was a challenge, but all good.
I love the look of wood frame a plastic deck combination and many people commented on them, but today I scored on a pair of MSR Lightning Flash, used twice.
No marks or any sign they were ever used, paid $85, of course no tax or shipping, can't get better than that:)

MRP
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
All that fancy stuff is OK heres my 50 year old pair.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shoe11.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Notice the inner-tube strap. On and off in seconds never let me down, walk all day in them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shoe2.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

BlacktailStalker
01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
I have tried all brands of snowshoes over the years and I'd have to say that the MSR's are likely the best I have ever owned. The straps don't freeze up, although you have to take your gloves off to get them to work. They are super durable. I wear them five days/week and put on tonnes of tough miles in the bush. No issues yet and I am on my third winter with my original set. I did bend one a bit on year one when I stepped on it with the other foot, but it's minor and hasn't seemed to matter.
One of the nicest features is the bars instead of a tube design. They really cut and lock into the hardened snow when on steep terrain instead of sliding like the crappy tube designed cheaper ones.
The biggest downfall is the 30 inch max size. I weigh 200Lbs and could use 36 inchers for the early season light snow if they offered them. I didn't know you could add tails to the back. I wonder how well that will work out?!?!?

Apparently pretty good. I weigh 230lbs and will usually have a 25lb pack on so I am going to order the tails and post up when I have used them.

MRP, those are cool.

Jack Russell
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
All that fancy stuff is OK heres my 50 year old pair.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shoe11.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Notice the inner-tube strap. On and off in seconds never let me down, walk all day in them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shoe2.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Cool snowshoes! I"ve got a similar pair but with wide strap style rope for my rigging. Bought them at the Co-op in a northern Alberta town back in 1977 for just under $30, and I still have them. Wouldn't want to take them on a walk though!