PDA

View Full Version : best smoker in the $300-$400 range

buck nash
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Looking for some imput. One of my xmas presents from my wife didn't work out so she suggested a smoker instead. I've got a homemade unit that I put together from plywood. It uses a single burner hotplate to generate the smoke but I'd like to upgrade.

Tell me what you guys like and why. I haven't looked at any for a while and have no idea what I can get for that price but I wanted some unbiased info before I hit the stores.

Thanks guys
Buck

The Dawg
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't have one, but I keep hearing great things about Bradleys

warnniklz
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Bradley digital 6 rack... hands down... I forget what the retail is on them right now. close to that range, if not the 4 rack is

Ron.C
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I have a bradley digital. Works good and I like how the temp can be exactly controlled. Mine has made hundreds of pounds of pulled pork, brisket, jerky, somked salmon, suasages ......
My wife actually did a smoked turkey for Xmas. was awesome

If and when mine dies, the only thing I'd do different is buy the bigger six rack version

warnniklz
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
I've only heard of door seals going on bradleys... but those are easy to replace... and that's rare

BiG Boar
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Bradley digital 6 rack... hands down...

Easiest to control all of the factors, smoke, time, heat temp. Everything eles is second

pescado
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Big Chief does my smoking and I'm happy with it. Bradley's are nice but you have to use there pucks and there not cheap. Front loader, Big Chief, inexpensive and they work. Keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find one for under $100, quite often a lot less.

M.Dean
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Bradley's one of the easiest Smokers to use, I have one of the older 4 rack ones, so I actually have to take my hand out of my pocket and push a button to get my puck to move forward. I know, I know that's pretty well obsolete these days, that's why I only use my Old Style Bradley after dark, heaven forbid if the Jones beside me or the Wingates across the street ever saw me using a Manuel Any Thing, I'd be run out of the neighbor hood for God Sakes!!! Hey, I was just think'in, if you do buy the Digital 6 Rack Bradley any chance you could fold the box it comes in up nice like and send it too me??? That way come garbage day I can put your Bradley Box up top and out front of my garbage and all my Snitty, my Crap don't Stink neighbors will think I got me a Shiny new Digital Bradley Smoker Too!!! Oh, yea, to answer your question, yes, Bradley is the best I think for the price, you maybe able to get some nice shiny chrome one with all the fancy buttons on it, but I'd bet if any thing go's wrong with it, it's going to be a big hassle to find parts! Bradley has a Store around Vancouver, check out there Web Site, they have quite a selection of different Smokers!

bighornbob
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Bradley all the way. Watch the Canadian Tire Flyers, about 4-5 times a year the Bradleys go on sale for $100 off. Have not seen them cheaper anywhere else.

BHB

buck nash
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Lots of votes for the bradley. It was the first name that came to my mind when she suggested a smoker. I have to say I'm a bit sentimental about my homemade unit but temp control is difficult. Also I think my wife suffers the same shame as M.Dean when I pull my old Cheech and Chong "up in smoke" contraption, especially when I set it up outside the garage next to my broken down quad and my beat-up, baby blue row boat lol. I may need that box to reduce the white trash factor here at my house.

Thanks guys I'll have a look at the website and let you know what I end up getting.

goatdancer
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Bradley all the way. You can turn a 4 rack into an 8 rack by getting another set of racks and flipping them over on top of the other ones. I usually use 2 or 3 pucks per full load so the cost is not an issue. Usually about $20 for 48 pucks and they give you a controlled smoke time per puck, about 20 min.

Sundance1972
01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Another vote for the Bradley. Have had an original for quite awhile and the only thing I had to replace was the bottom trim (holds the two front feet and the sliding temp control). Bought the extra racks for it as well. Nice thing about them is they really don't need much attention once the proper temp is reached.
If it ever craps out on me, a 6 rack digital will be on the shopping list.

frenchbar
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
MB-Boy had a bradley for sale on here not long ago for a good price .give him a pm .
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?90186-Bradley-Original-Electric-Smoker-and-box-of-60-pucks

r106
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Digital Bradley 4 rack for me. A 6 rack would be handy if your smoking lots of fish or sausage/pepperoni.

mmmm pulled pork

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1414.jpg

MB_Boy
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
MB-Boy had a bradley for sale on here not long ago for a good price .give him a pm .
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?90186-Bradley-Original-Electric-Smoker-and-box-of-60-pucks

Thanks FrenchBar.......we've been in touch and intend to connect this week for delivery. Finally.....down to one smoker!

Mental note....need to pay more attention at auctions!! Hahaha.

frenchbar
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks FrenchBar.......we've been in touch and intend to connect this week for delivery. Finally.....down to one smoker!

Mental note....need to pay more attention at auctions!! Hahaha. send me my commision im flat broke:mrgreen::)

MB_Boy
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
send me my commision im flat broke:mrgreen::)

I'll notify buck nash the smoker now only comes with 59 pucks.....as opposed to the full box of 60. :mrgreen: :wink:

Steeleco
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Buy the best Bradly you can afford. But before you do, pay a visit to the warehouse on Annacis Island. You may just save some money!

warnniklz
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Buy the best Bradly you can afford. But before you do, pay a visit to the warehouse on Annacis Island. You may just save some money!

do they sell them direct out of their warehouse?

buck nash
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Digital Bradley 4 rack for me. A 6 rack would be handy if your smoking lots of fish or sausage/pepperoni.

mmmm pulled pork

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1414.jpg

Yeah thats what I'm talking about. That looks fantastic! I can hardly wait til I'm smoking up some sausages and some nice slabs of meat like that.

cdub
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Mine is a plywood unit with a 1500watt element and the bradley smoke generator on the side. This way you get a steady flow of smoke even when the heat is not on.

Steeleco
01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
do they sell them direct out of their warehouse?

I bought my last batch of pucks from there. They were a little cheaper than retail, but as I was in the area it was all good. I'd give them a call and ask before making the trip.

buck nash
01-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Well I got the smoker from MB boy. It's the bradley 4 rack unit. Brought it home earlier this week and did a seasoning smoke on Fri.

Today it gets its maiden voyage.
I'm doing a whole chicken that I merinated in a blackberry,apple, garlic sauce, a strip loin steak cruted in herbs de provence, 2 pork tenderloins merinated in an orange ginger sauce and 3 racks of pork side ribs 1 done in blackberry garic and apple, 1 done in blackberry chipotle and 1 in apple with mint sauce.

It's been on since 11:45 this morning and the meat is already looking and smelling beautiful. Once the meat is out I'll wrap it in foil and stick in the oven at 175 to hold the temp. Meanwhile I'll be smoking a couple heads of garlic and a wheel of brie which we'll be spreading on some french bread. Some mashed potatoes and veg on the side and we're having ourselves a feast.

Can't wait til dinner time! Thanks MB its working great and I feel like I got a really good deal.

MB_Boy
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Well I got the smoker from MB boy. It's the bradley 4 rack unit. Brought it home earlier this week and did a seasoning smoke on Fri.

Today it gets its maiden voyage.
I'm doing a whole chicken that I merinated in a blackberry,apple, garlic sauce, a strip loin steak cruted in herbs de provence, 2 pork tenderloins merinated in an orange ginger sauce and 3 racks of pork side ribs 1 done in blackberry garic and apple, 1 done in blackberry chipotle and 1 in apple with mint sauce.

It's been on since 11:45 this morning and the meat is already looking and smelling beautiful. Once the meat is out I'll wrap it in foil and stick in the oven at 175 to hold the temp. Meanwhile I'll be smoking a couple heads of garlic and a wheel of brie which we'll be spreading on some french bread. Some mashed potatoes and veg on the side and we're having ourselves a feast.

Can't wait til dinner time! Thanks MB its working great and I feel like I got a really good deal.

awesome to hear!!!! The meal sounds outstanding!!

Caveman
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Bradley all the way. Watch the Canadian Tire Flyers, about 4-5 times a year the Bradleys go on sale for $100 off. Have not seen them cheaper anywhere else.BHB

Just did a batch of summer sausage and it's -7 today. Show me a Big Chief that will do that in 3-4 hrs

buck nash
01-13-2013, 11:35 PM
It turned out pretty nice. The chicken was the starof the show but the chipotle ribs were also really good. The tenderloins were a bit dry, I guess I overdid them a bit. It was a bit of a workout for the smoker with that much meat but I wanted to try it out at capacity. Plus now I don't need to cook any meat for the rest of this week lol.

The best part was that I was able to leave for an hour and a half during the smoke knowing the bradley would be fine on its own.

I'm doing some trout in it tomorrow. Should be awesome.

The Dude
01-14-2013, 12:07 AM
I sense an HBC BBQ coming up Buck? :D
Sounds awesome that meal you cooked. Making my own Elk Jerky for hunting season was the reason I got one, but you start experimenting and you'll come up with all kinds of stuff.
One of my favourites it to get a Jamaican Jerk Chicken rub, marinate whole birds in the fridge overnight, cram some garlic, lemon grass and onions in the tailpipe, then smoke them. Pure awesome!
Have fun!

LYKTOHUNT
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Just did a batch of summer sausage and it's -7 today. Show me a Big Chief that will do that in 3-4 hrs
I agree I just got a 4 rack digital and did a couple racks of ribs and a smoker full of trout this weekend,it was -20 and the smoker worked fine

M.Dean
01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Not sure if I mentioned this but, I was getting low on Pucks awhile back, and still had a bunch of Jerky and Indian Salmon to do! I'd gotten a ton of Cherry Wood from xbcguide, at least I thing the names right, I had to clear my inbox and everyone's names went into Cyber Space! Anyways, I cut some Puck sized pieces, placed them by hand on the burner about every 3 or 4 hours and "Bob's Your Uncle"!!! I realize most high falute'in Bradley Smoker Owners would never, ever use such a backwards ass lowly tip such as this, but your not the guys I was talk'in too! I think what I'm going to try this winter is to split some of the larger pieces of wood about a inch thick, then take my hole saw for cutting circles, pick the one that's closest to the puck size and cut a few out, can't see why it won't work? It sucks when your going through dam near a box of pucks every few days,so we'll see how this Cheap Skate method works! Woods Wood isn't it???

sallovesbeer
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Definately a Bradley. I'm not saying you should ever leave a smoker unattended but you dont have to babysit a Bradley like you do with a Big Chief. They are automated and I hear too many stories about the Chiefs starting fires. The bradley has a neat way of minimizing the risk by having a small steel bowl of water to extingush the pucks as they come off the autofeeder ramp. The only downside to a Bradley is that the pucks are quiet expensive compared to buying a bag or two of smoker chips. Other than that its one of two things i reccommed owning if you do alot of hunting or fishing or both. The other one is a vacuum sealer

sallovesbeer
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Not sure if I mentioned this but, I was getting low on Pucks awhile back, and still had a bunch of Jerky and Indian Salmon to do! I'd gotten a ton of Cherry Wood from xbcguide, at least I thing the names right, I had to clear my inbox and everyone's names went into Cyber Space! Anyways, I cut some Puck sized pieces, placed them by hand on the burner about every 3 or 4 hours and "Bob's Your Uncle"!!! I realize most high falute'in Bradley Smoker Owners would never, ever use such a backwards ass lowly tip such as this, but your not the guys I was talk'in too! I think what I'm going to try this winter is to split some of the larger pieces of wood about a inch thick, then take my hole saw for cutting circles, pick the one that's closest to the puck size and cut a few out, can't see why it won't work? It sucks when your going through dam near a box of pucks every few days,so we'll see how this Cheap Skate method works! Woods Wood isn't it???

Thats funny, my dad asked me to collect some alder branches for him in the same diameter as the pucks then I cut them on the bandsaw to the same thickness as the pucks. He said they worked great and they never jammed up and produced alot of smoke. A great way to cut the costs.