PDA

View Full Version : Spring black bear hunting- Squamish

Tomanik2700
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Hey everyone I'd really like to get out in the spring for a black bear hunt. I'm thinking in Squamish and I'd be using my new marlin guide 45 70. Coulr anyone give me any pointers or advice to help me with my prepping and my upcoming hunt (hopefully)

cdnshooter13
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Use the search function;)

TheProvider
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Lots of threads started on here about it. Feel free to pm with any questions.

sneg
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Squamish not as it used to be anymore.
Lot of hunters, even more dirt bike riders and logging trucks. 45-70 is fine gun for bear. Note there are some dark color grizzlies in the area.

r106
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
South facing slopes, deactivated roads, skidder trails, pipelines or power lines. Any area that's getting sun, look for green grass or skunk cabbage.

Blair
01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I can't imagine you'll have any trouble finding a bear to shoot in the spring. I drove to Duffey Lake to ski last May and saw about 15 bears along the highway between Squamish and Pemberton. Good luck.

TheProvider
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Lots of bears but also lots of ppl. Most hunters are surprised by how many campers, hikers, and atv's they run into. Not too mention forestry workers and logging trucks.

NovemberBravo
01-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Lots of bears but also lots of ppl. Most hunters are surprised by how many campers, hikers, and atv's they run into. Not too mention forestry workers and logging trucks.

Maybe I am always in the wrong place :wink:...
Me and my dad go up the Ashlu and sometimes we hunt the Squamish River. We hardly see any people but we have seen bears and sign up there (we saw a bear this fall when we had no tag...).

TheProvider
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Hahaha oh dont worry I dont run into people either but Im not saying where I go. Most people head straight down the squamish valley and get discouraged. Probably a little less campers now withvthe increase in grizzly activity

NovemberBravo
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Ya maybe it wasn't such a good idea to say where i go :wink:. Still nobody knows where in the ashlu (because its so big:-D)

buck nash
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Look for shit on the rds. When you find some fresh shit you're in the right area. They like the fresh grass, skunk cabbage, horsetails etc. The first one I got, I knew he was nearby cause the horsetail looked like someone had run a lawnmower over the patch. May seems to be the best month for them.

buck nash
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Best advice I could give is to find someone to take you out for the first one though. Bears are easy to find and shoot but they're a lot harder to gut, skin and butcher.

Also make good and sure it's dead before you apprach it cause they are tough animals. A guy posted last year some photo's of his arm bitten by a bear when he tried to get his dog off a wounded bear.

TheProvider
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Finding deactivated roads, grassy banks, swamps, meadows is key. Normally between 1-2pm atvs start ripping up and down the main fsrs so it helps to get on older roads and branches off roads. Once you learn a road you'll know where there good grassy banks and skunk cabbage creeks. Slow down and stop a little before these area, get out and walk up to them as you glass. Tons of hunters come flying by these places only to see a bear, slam on there breaks as it takes off into the woods. The busier the roads the less that animal will stick around once it sees something it doesnt like. If you see poop on the rd theres a good chance theres a bear around the corner. Binos are key. Its best to glass a suspicious stump then not too. Take longer than not to glass cuts. Normally the terrain is uneven. a bear can be completely hidden one mins and take a few steps and be in the wide open the next. Instead of slowly driving by a cut. Take the time to stop, find a vantage point and glass. You'll notice a lot of road hunterd are in a hurry and wont want someone to pass them so they barely slow down in prime bear aread in fear someone will pass them

Roadkill
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
got 1 up the ashlu last year april .......skinny 6ft

ill be there again in april looking for another