PDA

View Full Version : My 2012 9x8 Whitey

TIKKA TIGER
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM
My 2012 9x8 Whitetail

Here’s my story…

I started hunting this buck in December “Bow Season” of 2011. He was totally nocturnal, as all the trail cam pictures of this buck were in the evening and early morning, but none during daylight hours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/PICT0303-2.jpg

I hunted for this buck on several occasions and the season ended with no sightings of him. However I did manage to find one of his shed antlers, the left (5 Point) side.
I searched for the other antler but never had any luck in locating it. I thought about this buck a lot in the off-season and often wondered if he might show up next year.

On October 28, 2012 I went to the same location as last year and hung my stand, set up my trail cam and put out a bale of hay.

I hunted from my treestand on 8 separate occasions from October 30th until December 14th and no bucks were coming in during daylight hours. I was continually changing out the SD cards in my trail cams and replenishing the hay. Only small bucks and lots of does showing up on my trail cams.
Then on December 15th I was in there again and saw some does and a small 4x3 basket buck, but the buck didn’t present a good clear shot. While I was there I changed the SD card in my trail cam and downloaded the pictures when I got home. I was very excited when I saw that a nice mature buck was coming to the hay during daylight hours, between 2:00 pm and last light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9x8Whitey-1_zpscdcb4798.jpg

I called my hunting partner (JDR) and mentioned it could be the same buck as last year (the 6x5). We looked at last years pictures and both agreed that he was back again this year. I could hardly wait to get back out there. I was on holidays, but had other commitments on Sunday and Monday (Dec.16th and 17th). I was going to hunt this buck on Dec. 18th, 19th and 20th and sit on stand all day if I had to.

On December 18th I got into my stand just after 7:00 am “First Light”. I spooked a deer on the way in and prayed it wasn’t the buck I was after. At about 10:30 am I had yet to see a deer, so decided to go to my truck and have a bite to eat and warm up.

I got back into my stand about 11:10 am and no deer showed up until 12:53 pm. Two does came in and shortly after 3 more does arrived.
I was getting cold, so I made some noise to scare the deer away. At about 1:30 pm I went back to my truck and once again, had some food and got warmed up.

I climbed back into my stand at about 2:10 pm. Does came to feed on and off and around 3:55 pm things slowed down. I never saw a buck all day, so at approximately 4:15 pm I pulled out my “Bleat In Heat” call and did 2 calls about 5 seconds apart. It wasn’t 3 minutes and I caught a movement off to my right. There he was, the buck I was seeing on my trail cam. He came from the direction of the bedding area located just above me.

He was on “Full Alert” and stopped at about 45 yards away and was looking in my direction. I had to remain motionless and couldn’t grab my bow from my bow holder. Then the buck started walking towards me on the game trail and when he went behind a couple of trees I grabbed my bow and steadied it on my right knee as I was still seated. The buck stopped suddenly and looked in my direction again and checked the wind with his nose high in the air.

After about 20 seconds he started walking again and was directly in front of me at 20 yards. I had a bulky glove on my release hand and had to remove it so I could shoot. He went behind another tree so I slowly slid my glove off and set it on my lap. Once again the buck stopped and was staring in my direction so I never moved. My heart was pounding in my chest as I swallowed hard and tried to gain my composure. Then the buck decided to circle past the hay and came back to feed.

When he put his head down to feed, I hooked my release onto the string loop and he quickly jerked his head up and looked my way and once again he checked the wind. He was chewing hay but still staring in my direction and seemed to be getting nervous. The buck took a couple of steps then dropped his head down to feed again. I quickly came to full draw and the buck raised his head and looked in my direction.

I lowered my sight pin until I was aiming at his vitals and slowly squeezed my trigger release. Instantly I heard the loud “Whack” as the arrow hit its mark and passed through the bucks ribs and vitals. The buck wheeled to its left and took off on a “Death Run”. My heart was still pounding but I was confident the arrow passed through the bucks vitals.

I slowly lowered everything down to the ground from my stand. I walked over to where the buck was last standing and found my arrow laying in the hay. It was a complete pass through and the arrow was covered in blood from the broadhead to the nock. It was getting very dark now and I followed the blood trail for about 100 yards.

I decided to go to my truck and get my flashlights. I called (JDR) and he decided to come and help me. I went to look for the buck and what a blood trail. Soon I found one of the bucks antlers lying in the snow just off to my left, it was the right side (8 Point).

The buck was banging off the trees and stumbling at this point. I walked about another 20 yards and to my surprise there was an antlerless deer piled up in front of me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9x8AntlerlessBuck1_zpsfdae2a3e.jpg

I looked around for the other antler for about 10 minutes and then decided I better get to work on the deer.

I went back to the stand and retraced the bucks travel route, but couldn’t find the other antler. I took my backpack and the antler to my truck just as (JDR) arrived on his quad. We went over to where the buck was and hiked over to the stand again looking long and hard for that missing antler. As we walked the blood trail I hung ribbon as we went to mark the location.

We decided to get the buck to my truck and dragged the deer maybe 30 yards at most. (JDR) went and drove his quad in and we loaded up the deer and took it to my truck. Thanks again (JDR) for all your help.I went home and left the deer in the back of my truck as it was -3 C. I just fastened a tarp over the truck box to protect the deer overnight.

The next day, December 19th I went to see Harley White at Kelowna Taxidermy and I skinned out the deer and left the caping for them to do. After making several phone calls and driving here and there, I finally found a butcher to take my meat. All the meat markets are more interested in turkeys at this time of year.

On December 20th I went back up to look for the other antler and remove my trail cam and treestand. I looked first at the sight where the deer was piled up on that eventful night. I used a rake to search for the antler in the fresh snow but had no luck there. I decided to look where I found the other antler and there it was sticking up through the snow on a large boulder, right above where the other antler was found.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9PtAntler2_zpseb74aabb.jpg

When I saw that antler I started yelling with joy as I was so overcome with excitement. It was a 9 point antler, so I ended up harvesting a very nice 9x8 whitetail buck. I took several pictures and then went over to my treestand and removed the stand and trail camera.

I figured I better get those items out of there while I still can as the snow would soon be too deep too get in there. I phoned (JDR) and told him the good news and he was happy I found the antler. Then I phoned Harley and let him know that we have a complete buck for the head mount. I was pleased that this story had a happy ending and I’ll post pictures of the final product when Harley gets the mount completed…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9x8PtWhitey10_zps23699813.jpg

sawmill
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Very cool!Sure glad you found the bone!

monasheemountainman
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
awesome story buddy! thats wicked...very nice buck!

pnbrock
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
wow I've heard of guys blowing off an antler but both with a bow amazing!!!

Bear Chaser
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Wow. Congratulations on a fine buck and a really unique anterless experience all in the same hunt.

IronNoggin
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Very Cool Story and Pictures!
Only ever had one deer (a blacktail) drop it's horns after being shot. Rather Unusual methinks.
Going to be a Great Mount! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing!!
Nog

.300WSMImpact!
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
wow that would be a down then up day!!, would love to see the mount!!

cloverphil
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
very nice, great story and good on you for not giving up

Spy
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Awesome stuff ! Well done on getting him he sure is a nice buck !

300H&H
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Great story & super buck. Congratulations & thanks for posting.

landphil
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Cool looking buck. I bet you can't repeat that experience, any evidence of him running into anything? Thanks for the story and pics.

01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Terrific story and Buck !

Congrats to you. looking forward to seeing the mount !

CT

coach
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Wow! Great buck and an awesome story! Very well told and definitely worth the wait. Congratulations!!

TIKKA TIGER
01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Cool looking buck. I bet you can't repeat that experience, any evidence of him running into anything? Thanks for the story and pics.

The buck was banging off trees on both sides of him as there was blood and hair on the trees.

savagecanuck
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the great story. I too would have been very dissapointed to come up to that buck only to find his antlers missing. Harley will do you right on reconstruction! I always take my game to Harley for taxidermy.It will be awhile till we get to see his results as he is always very busy with work. Congrats!!

TIKKA TIGER
01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the great story. I too would have been very dissapointed to come up to that buck only to find his antlers missing. Harley will do you right on reconstruction! I always take my game to Harley for taxidermy.It will be awhile till we get to see his results as he is always very busy with work. Congrats!!

Yes... Harley does very nice work as this will be the 4th head mount he has done for me.

hunter1947
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
I am happy for you all worked out finding the antlers that came off your WT deer ,,what a bonus to have this WT on your trail cam from the past year,,, your persistence payed off for you its called determination ,,will be nice to see the final results on your deer when you get it back from the taxidermy this year.

Your wright up on how all unfolded was very nice to read I thank you for this as for your picture of this buck ,,big congrats on getting this nice WT buck...

Elkaholic
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
What a great story and thanks for sharing it! That will be a hunt you never forget no doubt.

just hunt
01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
"
"put out bale of hay"
Isn't it illegal to bait deer . other than that cool story.

TIKKA TIGER
01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
"
"put out bale of hay"
Isn't it illegal to bait deer . other than that cool story.

No it isn't... as I checked into this 3 years ago when I was bow hunting late season and came across a tree stand and found a bale of hay set up and also a game camera strapped to a tree. Then I went on my way and decided to check this out with a Penticton C.O. and he said it is totally "LEGAL" to hunt deer with bait but not bears. So I decided to do this too...

just hunt
01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
very interesting thanks for info. can't wait to see it back from taxidermy

doubled
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
That was an awesome story!!! Great buck and hunt!!

hunter1993ap
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
prety cool story, and great buck, congrats. any more pics of the antlers, they look really nice!

TIKKA TIGER
01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Here's a few more pics. of the antlers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9x8Antlers1_zps6612a669.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/9x8Antlers4_zpsa55ff107.jpg
The right side (8 Point)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/8PtAntler2_zpsf96e23ed.jpg

sobirch
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Beautiful animal and great story. It is stories like this that make me really like this site. All the posts which are not directly related to hunting can be amusing but it is stuff like this that makes me log on everyday. Thanks for posting a good hunting story and good pics.

kennyj
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Awesome buck! I really enjoyed your story. Very exciting.
kenny

ydouask
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Excellent story. Again the three keys to success ; 1. persistence, 2. persistence, and 3. persistence. Congrats !

Hammerhead
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
That's a great story and a great buck. Nice Christmas present. Congrats
HH

Hillbros_96
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Great story, and glad you were able to find the antlers.

BlacktailStalker
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Thats one for the memory bank and the wall.

blaker_99
01-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Awesome buck buddy nice to see all that hard work pay off!!

Rackmastr
01-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Very cool buck!!! Congrats and a unique story for sure!

mark
01-06-2013, 11:06 PM
That is a great buck, and an amazing story, and pics, thanks for sharing!

Gateholio
01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Great story and great buck

jaeger
01-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Nice looking Buck! You can tell us the story on the 3d course. Did you shoot that with your new Bow?
Cheers Jaeger

TIKKA TIGER
01-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Nice looking Buck! You can tell us the story on the 3d course. Did you shoot that with your new Bow?
Cheers Jaeger

Yes... my HCA X-10

HIGHRPM
01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Great story, thanks for sharing !

JIL_24/7
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Am I the only one having problems seeing the pics? Great story. Just wish I could see the evidence.

TIKKA TIGER
01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Here's some more pics. showing where the buck first showed up and the travel path he took to the hay directly in front of my stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/bth_Copy2ofStandSite4_zps660dcde8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/bth_CopyofCopyofStandSite1_zpsea91a7ed.jpg

Here's where I found the 2 antlers and another pic. of the antlers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/bth_Copyof9x8AntlerLocation_zpse17caf17.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/bth_9x8PtWhitey1_zps0707b431.jpg?t=1357524855

TIKKA TIGER
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Am I the only one having problems seeing the pics? Great story. Just wish I could see the evidence.

Looks that way as I've had no other complaints about this as of yet... ???

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Awesome buck and story!!!
Saw a similar thing on Relentless pursuit. Arrowed the deer and he spun around and lost both antlers.

I guess "technically" you should have cut your antlerless tag:mrgreen:.

Congrats!!!

SSS

fester
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
great job, and story

hunterdon
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Wow! Awesome story. I guess that's what you call a " once in a lifetime buck". Congratulations!!!

MacMtnHunter
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Great storry, glad to see that you found both sides! Should be a very nice looking mount too:)

Tenacious Billy
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Very unique story! Congrats on a beauty buck!

JDR
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Great buck my friend, especially with the bow! For all the time and effort you put in, a very well deserved buck :cool:. Can't wait for this year :-D.

WKCotts
01-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Beauty wt!!

TIKKA TIGER
01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Great buck my friend, especially with the bow! For all the time and effort you put in, a very well deserved buck :cool:. Can't wait for this year :-D.

Thanks Buddy and I'm already looking forward to this year too. Thanks again for all your help... :-D

rifleman
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
good story & a great buck... thats crazy how the antlers were knocked off...

oldkoot
01-08-2013, 06:27 AM
What a great adventure, not one you will soon forget. Awesome deer. Love those big Whitey's , one of the hardest trophies to get.

J_T
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Awesome buck and story!!!
Saw a similar thing on Relentless pursuit. Arrowed the deer and he spun around and lost both antlers.

I guess "technically" you should have cut your antlerless tag:mrgreen:.

Congrats!!!

SSS
I was thinking the same thing. tikka, did you consider cutting antler less on this? Would add to the story.

TIKKA TIGER
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
I was thinking the same thing. tikka, did you consider cutting antler less on this? Would add to the story.

Funny you say that as I did consider it. I was going to cut the antlerless tag and maybe hunt on the 20th for another buck as I never got a mule deer buck this season and then I could take 2 whitetail deer. There was a 150 plus 4 pt. hanging around this area, so it was tempting but I did cut the tag as an antlered deer.

Darksith
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
crazy storey, but what a memory...great deer congrats

paulgug
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Great story and congrats on a terrific buck. You definitely earned it. Can't wait to see the final product.

HarryToolips
07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Wicked story, wicked buck....

Fred1
07-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Great story!! Great buck! Thanks

Jerlynn
07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
First of all, awesome story like everyone said; I sure do love reading hunting stories like this. I'm really curious about the antlers dropping off. Are they knocked off from tree limbs as he was dashing away? Are they not as strong that late in December? I don't actually understand how that happens...

rides bike to work
07-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Any pics of this one mounted on the wall. Would be cool to see

TIKKA TIGER
07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the compliment. At this time of year, it's not uncommon for some of the whitey's to start losing their antlers. In 2011, this same buck lost one of his antlers on Dec 18th or 19th as he showed up on my game cam with only one antler and I found his shed antler on Dec. 20th as I was walking back to my truck on the last day of bow season. I think in this case, he was close to dropping his antlers and the bouncing of of trees sort of speeded up the process.

clte
07-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing! Inspiration for newbies like me. :)