PDA

View Full Version : Turkey habitat

Trevor S
01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about trying some turkey hunting this spring here in the Okanagan but I don't know the first thing about it. I'm not looking for specific locations but if anybody has any tips on what sort of habitat they prefer in spring and any other tips it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ncurrie
01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Where are you located?

Gateholio
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM
You could buy one of Winchesters new 17WSM rimfire rifles! Should be able to smoke a turkey at over 100 yards! :)

Drillbit
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I dunno about the Okanagan for turkeys, never seen one there. I'd go to the Kootenay's, see lots down there.

ruger#1
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
You could buy one of Winchesters new 17WSM rimfire rifles! Should be able to smoke a turkey at over 100 yards! :) He could also do the same with a 17 HMR. Few turkeys around the Rock Creek area. Not as many as Creston or Cranbrook. Use a turkey call to locate them. Listen for their gooble. Keep calling them. Have them come to you. I spent a week this year in Rock Creek and only came accross three sets of tracks. They are also east of Oliver. Seen two there. In the summer time.

.300WSMImpact!
01-05-2013, 06:01 PM
very tough in region 8, you want right at the snow level thats where they should be if they are in the area you are in

jtred
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm fairly new to turkey hunting but out of five seasons chasing them I've managed 4 birds in the freezer. The best is if you can locate a roost tree and actually put them to bed and then call them to you in the morning. Without that the next best is of course to find an area with lots of sign(early spring go for anywhere it's greening up ie. pipelines/old skidder trails/winter crops/etc). It is also amazing how far up the mountain you will find them, as the green goes so go the turkeys, in other words it seems best to keep moving up as spring progresses up the into the hills. Another area that seems to be overlooked are swamps, anywhere with lots of skunk cabbage seems to be quite a draw for spring turkeys. Private land in the Creston valley definitely holds more turkeys but is also quite difficult to secure access to so I prefer crown land. I do have a couple of private holdings I can hunt on but I love getting out in the bush up the mountains. My most favourite spring hunt by far. Good luck but be warned it is addictive. There are lots of good magazine articles on turkey hunting, youtube has lots of information on setups and calling, get practising with one or two types of calls, and be sure to pattern your shotgun with a good turkey load.

Trevor S
01-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm located in Vernon. I've seen lots on the army base when I'm walking my dog, pretty sure a guy in camo with a gun running around the base wouldn't go over real well. I've heard there are some around Postil too. I'll check around on the web, just wondering where they like to hang out. do they like thick cover or do they range around in the open? Maybe I'll just start wandering around in the woods and see what I see. Thanks!

300H&H
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm located in Vernon. I've seen lots on the army base when I'm walking my dog, pretty sure a guy in camo with a gun running around the base wouldn't go over real well. I've heard there are some around Postil too. I'll check around on the web, just wondering where they like to hang out. do they like thick cover or do they range around in the open? Maybe I'll just start wandering around in the woods and see what I see. Thanks!

There a turkeys around your area. They now range from the Can/US boarder up both sides of Okanagan lake to past Vernon. I have heard of them in 100 Mile.

As far as a guy in "camo" running around with a gun on the army base...well...you should fit right in. All tho DND might frown upon it.

I have found turkeys like similar habitat as grouse. Near a water source and cover. But as I like to say, turkeys are where you find them.

Last year was tough. It seems that predators have taken a toll on the birds.

The best place to go is still the Koots. E or W. Just don't hunt near where I am, there are NO BIRDS !!!

Start you calling NOW. Opening day will be too late. Check out YouTube. Slate & box calls work well for me and are easier to master than reed calls.

jtred offered some good advice.

britman101
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
First of all I would check your city bylaws. Unless they have been changed there is no shooting allowed within the city limits of Vernon.

Trevor S
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
First of all I would check your city bylaws. Unless they have been changed there is no shooting allowed within the city limits of Vernon.

Ya, I wasn't planning on hunting turkeys inside Vernon city limits but thanks.