PDA

View Full Version : New appreciation for Lynx

Slinky Pickle
01-05-2013, 02:47 PM
After reading the "First Stones" thread, I got to looking through some of the Western Game Warden issues.

This article gave me a new sense of respect for Lynx. I've seen a couple in person and managed to get some great video of them on my trail came but this guy's experience shows that they are definitely to be given some respect as predators!

http://www.westerncanadiangamewarden.com/W2012TalesFromField.html

digger dogger
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Buddies dogs last weekend got a shit kickin from a lynx.

Pound for pound, they are probably the toughest cat we have here in bc.
Giant mits on them..

pronghorn
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Thats something as I would have never thought that would happen.

Dirty
01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Buddies dogs last weekend got a shit kickin from a lynx.

Pound for pound, they are probably the toughest cat we have here in bc.
Giant mits on them..

Won't bobcats run off a Lynx? I heard they are even more vicious deer killers and will beat up a Lynx and steal its food. Anybody want to confirm or deny this?

digger dogger
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
In deep snow, lynx is King. I've heard of more dogs getting a lickin, from lynx, than bobcat.
come to think of it I've never heard of a bobcat scrapping dogs.. (not that it hasn't happened)
a 40lbs lynx, is a huge ass cat..

The Hermit
01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
If you had ever been attacked by a house cat you would have a far greater appreciation of the potential threat from a lynx! I had one sit on the side of a snow covered road and not budge as I slowly and cautiously walked by on the other side of the road, loaded rifle in hand with safety off pointed at the cat! Yes I have had a terrible run in with a house cat! LOL

chilcotin hillbilly
01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
This is funny, I catch 20 or more a year and yes they will fight a dog but they are nothing to be scared of. That funny. The largest tom I have ever wieghed is 30 lbs, 40's in my book are ones legends are made of.

gutpile
01-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Won't bobcats run off a Lynx? I heard they are even more vicious deer killers and will beat up a Lynx and steal its food. Anybody want to confirm or deny this?Bobcats are smaller then lynxs , Lynxs
are half the size of a couger.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Bobcats are smaller then lynxs , Lynxs
are half the size of a couger.

One horn, you have no clue what you are talking about, a big bobber in BC will go 35lbs, and a big lynx MAY go 35lbs ( all though I have never caught one over 30). A female cougar will go 90 to 115lbs. A big tom will go up to 200lbs.
Bobbers and lynx are built completely different with bobbers being much more muscular.

Rodd
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
On the trapline several years back we came across a spike elk that we determined to be killed by a group of Lynx. They ran it down in the deep snow and killed and ate most of it. We followed the tracks back and could figure out how it happened. It appearred that approx. 4 Lynx were on the hunt, with 2 tracks on either side of the animal running beside it, and tearing out fur along the way... I was amazed that they could work together and make an Elk Kill. I presume only because of the deep snow.

Sofa King
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
On the trapline several years back we came across a spike elk that we determined to be killed by a group of Lynx. They ran it down in the deep snow and killed and ate most of it. We followed the tracks back and could figure out how it happened. It appearred that approx. 4 Lynx were on the hunt, with 2 tracks on either side of the animal running beside it, and tearing out fur along the way... I was amazed that they could work together and make an Elk Kill. I presume only because of the deep snow.

i'm sure it was a family and not a pack.
as far as i know, they don't group together.
i'm not even sure that the tom sticks around.
like most things, it's the mother with her offspring.

that's pretty awesome that they were able to get an elk.
although, in the deep snow, everything would be at a disadvantage.

i've seen a mom and two kits, but never four together.
i met a guy up in the bush this year who showed me some video/pics he got of two lynx right on the fsr.
he stopped his truck and they didn't even seem bothered by him.
they seemed to be scrapping or maybe trying to win a nearby female or something.

Mr. Dean
01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
as far as i know, they don't group together.

I know of groups of up to 7 that cross a frozen lake........
Maybe grouping up is a winter thing???

gutpile
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
One horn, you have no clue what you are talking about, a big bobber in BC will go 35lbs, and a big lynx MAY go 35lbs ( all though I have never caught one over 30). A female cougar will go 90 to 115lbs. A big tom will go up to 200lbs.
Bobbers and lynx are built completely different with bobbers being much more muscular.
Do some research on the differents between a bob cat and a lynx and you will see
that your wrong.
A lynx can weigh up to 45 lbs and a bobcat up to 35lbs.
A lynx can be 40 inches long from nose to tail.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Do some research on the differents between a bob cat and a lynx and you will see
that your wrong.
A lynx can weigh up to 45 lbs and a bobcat up to 35lbs.
A lynx can be 40 inches long from nose to tail.

Thats funny, not in BC they don't!, I caught six lynx and one huge cougar in the past 6 days, you just go back to Starbucks and read some more smart guy!

knockturnal
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
A few years back, i was hiking on a trail and a lynx crossed it in front of me. I thought that was pretty cool and I proceeded to walk up to within 5 yards of it as it was sitting on a stump. when i was younger, my dad taught me to call in the neighbourhood cats with my mouth and i started to do this to the lynx. Within 5 minutes of me cat calling to it, it was purring and rolling around on the ground like a house cat. I snapped some pictures and was on my way. Thats my crazy cat experience.

finngun
01-10-2013, 11:36 AM
knockturnal--purring and rolling around on the ground like a house cat// are you sure it was'nt a house cat:confused::mrgreen: pictures please:wink:

Mr. Dean
01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
BC holds some purrrdy STOUT Bobbers!

I've seen and handled a couple big ones and they were solid!
Solid like a pitbull... I was impressed.

WTS, we do get some pretty big Lynx's too but I have never handled one, just seen them sauntering on their merry way.

Visually, the Lynx are larger (taller, longer) but I have never weighed and compared them to Bobbers. All that I have seen killed by hunters were smallish to some of the ones that I have stumbled upon in the bush, which makes me think that dogs tree mostly the juveniles and the mature adults are smarter and more capable to to scamper outta harms way.

Maybe the mature's trap better(???).
But I have no resources to fall on for that info.

knockturnal
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
knockturnal--purring and rolling around on the ground like a house cat// are you sure it was'nt a house cat:confused::mrgreen: pictures please:wink:

im looking for them! i thought they were on my facebook but i went back to 2007 and they arent there. ​Ive got the actual pictures buried somewhere in a box but i could spend the next 2 days going through everything the wife put away and still not find them!

wildcatter
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes I have had a terrible run in with a house cat! LOL

You mean this one? Got it all on a video for everybody to see, sit back and enjoy:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk

Elkaholic
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
That is one devil cat for sure, I can say I would have not been as nice to that little kitty! Or would have let him get in between my legs to latch on to the goods.

Mr. Dean
01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
You mean this one? Got it all on a video for everybody to see, sit back and enjoy:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk

Now imagine how a REAL cat would go at ya.
The HORROR!:shock: