PDA

View Full Version : First Ducks Ever!!..................only took four boxes of shells and 5 trips :) :(

Sasqman
01-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Hey guys,

Finally got the courage to show my first blood. If u look really close by my feet you will see the two hens I dropped. :-| Brooklyn (the black lab) was so happy!. For the last two trips I thought she was gonna leave us and find where the other shotguns were firing...... but......... she stuck with us and we got her something.

These 2 that I shot were at close range.....10-20 yards. I was leading with my shotgun about 2'. What are the parameters for the 30-50 yard shot range? I would really like to like to get my "rookie" groups kill ratio up just a tad. Any ideas for us?

Thanks so much!

Paul

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u603/sasqman/bth_007_zps5b319f09.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u603/sasqman/bth_008-Copy_zpsab5ff4eb.jpg

EvanG
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
it can only get better from here. way to go

pnbrock
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
good job beautiful dog!!

buckguy
01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
nice looking pooch. Congrats on the hunt.

Ron.C
01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Congrats on the ducks. I'm just starting too and it's a hell of allot of fun. Sorry, I have nothing to offer you to help with how much to lead birds. My shooting is probably worse then yours.

Duck Buster
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Get out and break lots of clays, the more you shoot the better you will be and then dropping birds will just be a natural thing. Good luck

lorneparker1
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Get out and break lots of clays, the more you shoot the better you will be and then dropping birds will just be a natural thing. Good luck

This

Its hard to tell someone how far to lead a bird as there are so many varibles, disctance, wind, what kind of duck, how they are flying etc. I rarely lead birds. Butt, body beak blaM! Is my moto on a crossing shot. But shoot some clays and you will see what works most of the time

Lorne

Rhyno
01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
This

Its hard to tell someone how far to lead a bird as there are so many varibles, disctance, wind, what kind of duck, how they are flying etc. I rarely lead birds. Butt, body beak blaM! Is my moto on a crossing shot.

Lorne

Agreed....and remember the important thing is to keep swinging! I am no expert and am only guessing, but is it possible that are are not following through after the shot Sasqman? My duck to shot ration was similar when starting out too!

Hellfish Hunter
01-05-2013, 06:07 PM
I agree with others,but I say shoot real live targets, that way it's real life not just a clay puck, duck adjust as you shoot they pivot,turn dive.

this is my first year I go out at least 1-2 times a week, I jump shoot, decoy and pass shoot.

I shot my first double New Year's Day jump shooting and my first triple today same thing jump shooting.

Get out and shoot it will get better!

cheers

Duck Buster
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree with others,but I say shoot real live targets, that way it's real life not just a clay puck, duck adjust as you shoot they pivot,turn dive.

this is my first year I go out at least 1-2 times a week, I jump shoot, decoy and pass shoot.

I shot my first double New Year's Day jump shooting and my first triple today same thing jump shooting.

Get out and shoot it will get better!

cheers

I agree that nothing on the range will duplicate what live birds can do, however just like you don't try to shoot big game without ever going to the range to learn how to shoot your rifle or bow, practice with the shotgun is just as important. The live bird idea, while yes will improve your skills, will also lead to alot of cripples that are posibly unrecoverable.

Absolutly get out and have fun in the field, but shooting crossing clays will make the eye lead time requried to make reliable kills on birds instinctive. Plus trap loads are cheaper than even the cheapest box of duck loads. Throw in 135 clays for under $20 and you have yourself a good way to spend an afternoon.

I agree with Lorne though, bird, beak, pow, just remember to keep swinging through the bird after the shot and you should see more results.

Just my opinion, and good luck it will come together soon.

f350ps
01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
My guess is yer overleading them, steel is fast. As already said, swing through the bird and as soon as you clear the beak pull the trigger, of course distance changes everything but at 20 to 25 yds you should be in there and make sure you keep swinging! Good Luck, K

rbduck
01-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Patience Grasshopper. It shall get better. All will be good.

Ron:mrgreen:

shotgunjohn
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Shoot lots.
Try to remember 95% of your focus should be on your target.(that would be the duck.)
Practice mounting your gun until you no longer need to think about it.

Sasqman
01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. Sounds like practice practice practice, which is most sensible, but also what great sport to practice........so much fun. Also thanks for the compliments on the dog. She is my father-in-laws, and one hell of a dog. Only 2 1/2 years old, so a great future for her.

Fella
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,

Finally got the courage to show my first blood. If u look really close by my feet you will see the two hens I dropped. :-| Brooklyn (the black lab) was so happy!. For the last two trips I thought she was gonna leave us and find where the other shotguns were firing...... but......... she stuck with us and we got her something.

These 2 that I shot were at close range.....10-20 yards. I was leading with my shotgun about 2'. What are the parameters for the 30-50 yard shot range? I would really like to like to get my "rookie" groups kill ratio up just a tad. Any ideas for us?

Thanks so much!

Paul

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u603/sasqman/bth_007_zps5b319f09.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u603/sasqman/bth_008-Copy_zpsab5ff4eb.jpg

Hey don't feel bad, I just started waterfowling this season too and out of the 5 times I've been, I've shot a total of 1 duck.

pnbrock
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
remember butt,head,shoot works for me.and don't stop moving!!

WaderGator
01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
read some articles on the basics of shotgunning (mounting, leading, follow through, etc etc). After doing a bit of reading now when I miss I can at least diagnose which part of the process I messed up and can focus more on it next time. That being said don't over think it either alot of this can be instinctual. Ive made some awesome shots when I dont think at all about it and ive made some awesome misses when I have all the time in the world to think about it. Remember rule number one is practice, practice, practice. Whether its real birds during the season or clays out of season its fun either way! congrats on your first birds, youre hooked now!

303Brit
01-06-2013, 09:44 PM

This

Its hard to tell someone how far to lead a bird as there are so many varibles, disctance, wind, what kind of duck, how they are flying etc. I rarely lead birds. Butt, body beak blaM! Is my moto on a crossing shot. But shoot some clays and you will see what works most of the time

Lorne

I agree with both of these, but I will add relax. I bet you are rushing yourself way as you are worried about missing your opportunity. Slow down target a single bird, take an extra half second of swing, then pull the trigger, and swing the follow through. Once you are both comfortable and consistent with the clays the birds will fall more consistantly.

Aside form that congrats on your first birds, keep at it. It won't happen overnight but it will happen.

nano
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
First off congrats on the ducks. Last year I told myself that I need to get better at my shooting so I told myself I would spend more time shooting clays and it payed off. I started last may and shot every weekend and every second wednesday. By shooting that much it helped me to understand leed and distances. Their are also always shooter at the club that will help you to hit clays. And like the rest have said remember bum, belly, beak, bang! And keep swinging